The Striker is ruining air game

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Tar, May 10, 2013.

1. nitram1000

THIS IS THE ANSWER.

Dedicated pilots NEED to be able to cert into something much more advanced than flares. As it stands right now on Miller, if you enter a TR area with platoons detected, air CANNOT get near as Lock On pops up on your screen instantly. If I fight NC I rarely get a lock on, now this is totally unbalanced and unfair as one empire has the ability to totally deny airspace.

We need advanced flares or something, I think the time it takes to lock on once flares have been popped should be increased with each cert level. I have max flares and all it does is decrease the time it takes before they are active again, which does not help me at all it just means I have to go hide behind a cliff for 15 seconds less.

With max flares we should be able to delay lock ons by 10 seconds as opposed to the current 5, this way we can at least stay around for a bit.

Also for the record I am not a dedicated pilot, I rarely fly but when I do I want to smash my ******* head against the screen because of lock ons.
    • Up x 3
  2. Algernon

The reason when fighting NC that you rarely get a lock on, is because most of their heavies carry the phoenix and are busy sniping infantry and sundy's with them. They are relying on bursters for their AA (much more effective than lock-ons anyway imho) The solution lies in making the ESF a anti-air, anti-vehicle or anti-infantry. At the moment the ESF is good at everything. Tell me if a highly upgraded flares option took the rocket pod slot, would you cert it?
  3. simmi1717

Remove rocket pods? Really? Really? Have you guys any idea of the xp/hour people get while flying the ESFs? Do you have any idea how much skill it takes to be able to learn to pilot planes before you actually start getting some kills? I can bet you none of you ******* ever died to an ESF that was lower than BR 30... that's how much skill it takes to be somewhat effective with a plane. All good pilots are over BR 40 that's how hard it is to fly ESFs. It takes HUGE situational awareness to be able to get kills with rocket pods otherwise you just die. This is what happens at the moment: See a plane? Switch to burster max. Problem solved. One burster max can keep 3 ESFs from coming anywhere within range of it. It's pretty ********. Rocketpods got nerfed quite a few months ago if you guys didn't realize. It take 3-5 pods to kill one person and coming close enough so you can locate a someone, avoid AA fire, shoot them and run away takes a LOT of skills. Only time ESFs are viable at the moment is for locking down spawn rooms or when the enemy is already overwhelmed by our allied forces that they can't put enough people on eliminating air. The other time it's viable is rolling out with other pilots at least 5-6 in order to be able to take out 2 burster maxes before they rip you apart. Flying ESFs is pretty much a waste of time at the moment. I do way better in terms of score with my LA/HA.
  4. Tar

You're talking from the point of view of TR infantry. This topic is about the balance between empires. Your point of view and thus whole post is irrelevant and invalid.
  5. Tar

if....if... and if not, Striker is OP. Yes it is.
  6. Tar

I don't need your pathetic advice on how to fly, I'm talking about the imbalance that the Striker causes.
    It's the best AV weapon, most universal, i.e. all TR HA have it. There's no counterpart on VS and NC that would be similarly easy and powerful, so in general NC and VS infantry (groups of any size) are FAR less dangerous to aircraft. This is the reality of the game, and it's caused by one single weapon.
    "Fly low" is a ******** child's answer to that.
  7. Tar

Another one: You're talking from the point of view of TR infantry. This topic is about the balance between empires. Your point of view and thus whole post is irrelevant and invalid.
    Not to mention blatantly wrong, you have obviously never flown against TR.
  8. Tar

The Striker is situational! You sir made my day.No it's not. Unless by "situational" you mean "can be used in any outdoor situation", then yes you're correct.
  9. Maarvy

The striker is much more effective at denying air than either the lancer or pheonix of that theres no question .

However if other launchers were used in such numbers they would achive the same thing . Anihilators were doing alomst exactly the same thing before the new empire specifics were launched and they still would if they were used in the same numbers that TR use there strikers .

The original launchers are still very powerfull , yet because there not used in the same numbers there easy to counter and none cares .

Spam more Pheonix's or Lancers and cry more
  10. Tar

One more emptyhead.
    You're talking from the point of view of TR infantry. This topic is about the balance between empires. Your point of view and thus whole post is irrelevant and invalid.
  11. Tar

This thread is about the striker and air. Balancing is not haggling, certainly not here.

No. The opposite is true, it's almost impossible to avoid. This is ofc not exclusive to Striker.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me actually all guided rockets got smarter recently.
  12. Tar

So what's "fun" in fact is that everyone has to equip flares and smoke against TR, because of the never-ending lockon spam, which doesn't occur against the other 2 sides? Or is that "balanced"? Or is it the grounders locking on to me and filling the skies with red tracers, and hitting in groups of 5 hits?
    You might be using the Grounder yourself but the prevalent situation on the battlefield says otherwise about the majority of TR.
  13. Tar

That would explain a lot. Are you sure about it? Are the devs aware?
  14. Tar

Same observation about TR space @ Miller.

I don't think however that "advanced flares" are a solution. This game should be about options, currently the only one when fighting TR are flares, admitting that as a problem and "solving it" by superflares would only cement the lack of choice. It would be a workaround, not a solution.

Totally agree. Lockons are bane of this game.
  15. Tar

If... If... well they are not. Is the reason that TR are smarter than NC or VS? I don't think so.
    It's something that follows from the choices the people have at each side and no IFs will help that. The choices need to change.

no u. Also your mum.
  16. Tar

How will that make the TR less overpowered against air? It might be a solution to some other problem you perceive, but certainly not to the problem discussed in this thread.
  17. Liav

Why the **** are you spam posting? Learn to multi-quote.

To answer your earlier question, I'm pretty sure it isn't only the Striker that is penetrating terrain. It is definitely happening though.
  18. khai

I disagree with the idea that the striker has more diversity then other lock ons and I am not even meaning the annihilator. The AA/AV lock ons have the downside that they can no longer dumb fire which many people seem to overlook or dismiss as a downside. This means they can not be used against infantry, turrets, and any vehicle that knows where you are can probably kill you while you are getting a lock. Personally I do not use the Striker because of that downside if they made the striker G2A and gave it a deadfire I would pick it up in a second.

The other comment that by comparing it to other systems is whining about balance is not valid because that is what this thread is about on both sides, it is what all nerf threads are ultimately about. Well that and jealousy. The only argument in defense of the accusation of something being over powered is to compare it to other aspects of the game either of a similar nature or that were intended as the antithesis of the supposed over powered item. By brining up the phoenix we have the first type since they both the empire specific counterparts from the same update, and while the differing directions of the weapon philosophies reduce the relevance the points made about the phoenixes abilities compared to other weapons are valid. On the point of rocketpods we have the antithesis of the weapons system or in other words the aspect of the game that the object was designed to counter which also makes it relevant. The fact that it is empire specific has some validity as an argument that it breaks the faction balance but that argument holds less weight when you add in the fact the best option available for any given task.

Also I think you meant air when you said armor in relation to the Hades shortcomings which is a valid point the G2G weapons inability to hit any but the stupidest of pilots does give them a disadvantage against other lockons though I submit again that the inability to even fire at turrets or infantry is just as detrimental for the striker.
  19. Tar

you might notice that I do multiquote but I don't think it makes sense to answer to multiple people in one post. Also I don't do this in other than my own threads :)

Thanks for the confirmation.
  20. Tar

I disagree that it's valid to exclusively compare it to lockons.
    What needs to be looked at is the overall usage of HA AV weapons, an analysis needs to be made to find out the causes and outcomes of this distribution, and then measures need to be taken to ensure TR are no more so overpowered against air.
    The case might be that other empire(s) come out as overpowered in other respects, then that must be balanced too.

"TR are OP against air but NC against ground so it's all balanced"?
    No. That's not what is called balance. For one I don't see VS mentioned here somehow but even so, to balance one outstanding OP item you don't make other items also outstanding and OP. If you do, you're a bad game designer and need to be replaced.

As for rocketpods, personally I think all the game needs is more trees. Seriously. Infantry should be about the ability to hide from bigger threats, not about having some magic killer item in their pocket.