Cloak question?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Redscyte, May 9, 2013.

1. Redscyte

is there a way around having to turn cloak off to shoot? or is it built that way for a reason and whats the thought process behind it?
  2. Get2dachoppa

Nope. You can't be cloaked if you want to fire your weapon.

As for the reason? Apparently the game developers thought in order to balance Infiltrators having a cloak we have to:
    1) Be completely vulnerable while cloaked even though its not total invisibility and is quite obvious in close quarters, apparently even more so for people running low graphic settings.
    2) Have 100 less shields. No other class has this handicap, making us the squishiest in the game.
    3) Make the cloak emit a loud noise when being activated and deactivated that gives away our presence at distances up to 80-90m away.
    4) Our shields don't recharge while cloaked either.

If you can't tell, I think they went a bit overboard in "balancing" the cloak.
    • Up x 1
  3. Hoki

built that way, probably intended so that if someone runs into you and you're cloaked, to be a penalty for being careless.
    Takes a second to decloak, so its like getting caught with pants down.
  4. Ztiller

Intentional.

As to why, we can only speculate. It could simply be that they want us to be punished for being detected, or to encourage us to flee instead of fight.

Or it could be to prevent players from accidentally uncloaking when they don't intend to. No other class turns off their ability with any other button than the ones they enabled them with.

It's the way it is, and learn to adapt to it. I don't have any problem with it.

Just do as intented, and run if you get spotted. If you try to uncloak and shoot back, you're dead. run and find a way to get the advantage.

Oh, and ignore the cryers about how it is made that way because SOE hates us etc. They take every chance they get to whine about the cloak, even if it's not even the topic, as is visible from posts in this thread already. You shouldn't listen to those any more than you should listen to a Creationist lecturing about evolution.

Look at any good infiltrator, and you'll see how they pretty much always flee when coming under fire.
  5. Scan

The cons of the hunter cloak:

While you are cloaked, you cannot take any action other than actions that involve movement.

This means you can run, jump and crouch just fine, but you cannot fire weapons, use tools and/or medkits, overload generators, or hack consoles and/or turrets.

Furthermore, if you've taken a few hits, your personal shield will not regenerate, meaning you have to uncloak to allow it to regenerate. You cannot use teleporters while cloaked, and it's not possible to recieve any kind of healing while you are cloaked. Using a restoration kit and then cloak, will kill the regen effect. Also, using a medkit, and cloaking right after, might result in a partial heal.

Getting shot while cloaked, will make you flash like a discoball. Cloaking and decloaking will make you emit a very distinctive noise that is quite easily heared.

The pros of the hunter cloak:

It renders you semi-invisible, making you hard to see when you are completely still and quite easily to see when running, enabling you to strafe past enemies, relatively unnoticed, or help you escape, as long as you don't move inside the direct line of sight of any enemies.

When spotted the cloak removes the redmarker above your head, and removes you off the enemies' minimap.

You cannot be seen by IRNV and/or Thermal.

You will not be picked up by sensor darts, or scout radar. (I think)

Anyhow: the 2nd part of your question:

My guess would be that the general public would think it an unfair advantage for us to be able to shoot at people, without prior warning. So, to offer anyone in the direct vicinity of the INF a chance to shoot the INF first, they made it so you cannot fire your weapons from cloak, and emit a noise when you uncloak, to alert the enemies to your presence, in case you've succesfully managed to strafe the enemy, without moving in the direct line of sight of the enemy.

You can however, aim, while cloaked, fire your shot, and cloak again, provided you use a 6x scope or above. On lower scopes, the mill dot, disappears completely when cloaking.

There currently is no delay between cloaking/uncloaking, which I think they've missed in their long list of "cons" Maybe they overlooked this......
  6. Skeith

5) the cloak lasts only 12 seconds
    6)for some reason a cloaking device stops the healing effects of an healing injection :S
  7. Redscyte

yea i didnt know all that sounds kinda dumb, I understand the fact cant shoot while cloaked but i dont see a problem with shooting breaks the cloak
  8. Ravenorth

You´ll get used to it, I hated that I couldn´t break the cloak by shooting when I first started to play as Infiltrator, but now I wont even notice it, decloaking has become like an automatic reflex to me.
    • Up x 1
  9. Scan

That's not going to happen, because people would cry they just got mowed down by something invisible, and not having had a chance to react.

To be honest tho, the not being able to fire while cloaked, is not a real issue. It's just another small drawback of a big list of drawbacks, making it an issue.
  10. Tyzh

Not being seen by IRNV and Thermal is likely a bug. Infils stopped showing up there after a patch where they made changes to the cloak animation and it wasn't in the patch notes.

Cloaking doesn't save you from the infils dart tool. They are motion detecting darts. They detect motion, cloaked or not. Anyone can avoid showing up on an infils dart by not moving. The cloak does, however, protect you from scout and proximity radar.
    • Up x 2
  11. Scan

Thank you for clearing that up.

Regarding to the IRNV/Thermal I'm not sure wether it's a bug or not.

Have yet to read complaints about it.

Seems pretty balanced the way it is now.

Before the change, tanks and ESF's would totally destroy any attempt of sneaking by the enemy front lines. Imagine what it would do to the Wraith cloak if they were to revert this back to the way it was.
  12. Ztiller

Don't pay too much attention to these "lists" people make. anyone can make anything seem completely useless if they make a huge list with only negative attributes, greatly exaggerated and subjective. I could make a list like the ones here about literally anything in this game, and make it seem completely useless. It doesn't make it true.

The cloak is a great tool, when used right. But it's a hard thing to learn. Take your time, and when you face a drawback try to figure out how to overcome it, instead of whining about it on the forums like many around here does.
  13. Skeith

ok

now make a list of all the drawbacks of the other classes special abilities,let's see if they have even half of the drawbacks of our cloak

learning to adapt is a virtue

but if something is messed up by design,virtue or not,it needs to be fixed

and yeah our cloak right now it's kinda crappy but has it's uses,just remember to never EVER use it on close quarters,or the enemy will hear you or see you,most of the time

i suggest you to watch this

14. A 59 c

It's not all bad Redscyte, you can reload your weapon whilst cloaked.
    • Up x 2
  15. Dr. Euthanasia

Corollary: Just look at any good Infiltrator, and you'll see right through their cloak and cause them to flee.

Anyways, the cloak is an awkward mix of mechanics from several other games with similar mechanics (but primarily TF2 and Halo). It combines drawbacks from these games which actively contradict each other and confuse the cloak's purpose, and the imperfect visibility and weapons would be the example on display in this thread. Why does it only deactivate when you run out of energy or press F? Nobody knows for sure. SOE doesn't talk to us here, so if you want a definitive answer, try bugging the developers on Twitter.
    • Up x 1
  16. Get2dachoppa

I've played Crysis 1 & 2 and prefer that cloaking and firing mechanic. I've gotten used to it in PS2, but still think Crysis did it better.