Semi auto sniper rifle as a viable alternative

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by applecherry, May 7, 2013.

1. applecherry

Hello fellow infiltrator, I noticed there had been an overdose of "bolt action rifle" thread and none on semi automatic. Thus I would like to advocate on the use of the semi auto. I believe as an infiltrator of more than 250+ hr and using only the semi auto sniper rifle exclusively, I have accommodate sufficient wealth of experience to share with all.

Stats of all 3 faction semi auto rifle:
    Bullet velocity 550m/s
    400max dmg at 10m
    334min dmg at 75m

Even though the semi automatic may not be as "gorified" as bolt action because of the one hit kill, it is still more practical and useful than the bolt action. I list the reasons:

1)Usually semi auto engagement range are <200m, that means you are closer to enemy and thus also likely to successfully injure the enemy. You are actually helping your team instead of sitting somewhere 400m away..

2)It is very easy to counter snipe with this rifle. That means killing infiltrator with this rifle is much easier than using a bolt action. This is because infilrators are often stationary as they need to aim, the semi auto can EASILY perform consecutive head shots on stationary targets.

3) It is more forgiving than bolt action

However the semi auto is plague by several disadvantages which i think cause many player to avoid it.

1) It take 3 shot to kill at CLOSE RANGE. However since it is a sniper rifle, most likely you be sitting at least 100m away and that means you need 4-5 shot to kill a target( due to nanoweave). This is difficult as you need to account for recoil recovery AND limited breath.

2) HA with shield will take 6 shots to kill which is more than half your clip. This is made harder as you need to account for recoil recovery AND limited breath. too.

However, with sufficient practice, i believe one can still be good with it.

Regards,
    Natalie

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  2. Plague Rat

To extrapolate on this:

Closer(er) ranged:
    In addition to Applecherry's point on this, you also have mobility. If you're 300m out with a bolt action if you need to move or change angles you have quite the trek ahead of you. If you're 150m away it's much easier to reposition or relocate completely when someone starts to catch on to the the direction the shots are coming from. In the same time it would take the long range bolt action to change his position to get a different angle the closer sniper can circle around to the complete opposit side of a base.
    Extra breath.
    Now that breath duration has been increased, one breath cycle is enough time for 3 shots from a semi-sniper with a scope 6x or higher.

Foregrips.
    Now that we have confirmation that they effect vertical recoil on semi-autos, the long suspicions that they make follow-ups easier has ground. And double tapping headshots isn't a terribly hard skill to learn to begin with.

Nanoweave ignored.
    But if you find yourself particularly irked by this: SEMI-AUTO!
    One of the perks of these weapons is this particular defensive cert becomes almost totally ignorable.
    At best, you won’t notice it at all. Two headshots will drop any target with the sole exclusion of a heavy with a shield up (that takes 3)
    At worst you only need 1 addition body shot follow up, which is a simple matter.

VS rifle reconciliation
    With the removal of the range penelty these went from possibly the worst in the catagory to the best. All the same stats as the other factions now but with no drop. When they did this to bolt actions because they couldn't OHK back when, they added drop. Not here. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS! Remember how much you hated this and rushed to get that first into bolt-action? Time to kiss and make up.
  3. Dr.Insomnia

I recently tried using the infiltrator (99SV, no add-ons) in a biodome defense. Fairly short ranges, teammates that could prevent rushes and flanks and so on.

And honestly, it was pretty darn effective. It's not hard placing 4 body-shots at mid-range in rapid succession (like 1 second kills). It was especially useful if your teammates can pin them down behind cover so that they're only marginally visible through cracks and so on. Cracks that a sniper rifle can exploit at short range. Of course you have to be ready to switch to the pistol at a moments notice, but the Repeater is a pretty good sidearm (at least when compared to the VS Beamer).
  4. Mustarde

I put a lot of time into using both the long and short range semi auto sniper rifles (99SV and KSR-35 respectively for TR). There is definitely a role they play, and I tried to highlight that in my weapons guide (will link at the end).

I agree with at least part of what the OP is saying. However, I will take issue with a few points.

1. The assumption that bolt action snipers are not helping the team, or that they all sit 400m away. Greatly exaggerated and generally not true. The implication that using a semi-auto is more useful is... well there are all sorts of holes in that logic. (Itake issue with the assertion many people on the general forums make that we are not helpful at all and try to prove them wrong every day)

2. Counter sniping. It comes down to skill, timing, and positioning. I would rather have a OHK to countersnipe with. If the infiltrator is moving, I will take the body shots, close ground and finish with a sidearm, knife or land another rifle hit. Don't pretend it is easier to hit TWO headshots with the semi auto on a moving target than one. Either you are hitting a still target, taking a risk and going for a moving headshot, or taking the safer route and making body shots.

SASR's are more forgiving than BASR's for sure. I use mine when there are large enemy infantry pushes and everyone is moving and I don't see any nests of stationary targets. Personally in these situations I use the HSR-1 (scout rifle) however the 99SV and KSR-35 fill a similar role.

Thank you for making a post that isn't just a whine thread about nanoweave :) I love talking about the various tools we infiltrators have. I did look up your stats applecherry, and I noticed that you only had 52 kills with your top bolt action. You may be overstating the virtues of the Gauss SPR since you have very little time and experience with the others (unless you have an alt that uses bolt actions). Try getting auraxium with one of the bolt actions and see if you still have the same thoughts!

M

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...plete-guide-to-infiltrator-weapons-tr.100487/
    (Yes, I'm working on an update, to include GU07 changes to scout rifles and GU08 changes. Work in progress!)
  5. NinjaTurtle

Never liked using semi auto's.

Personally don't see the need when they take a couple bullets more to drop a target , when I can instead land a 1 shot kill in the head with a bolt action or only 2 (in most circumstances) with body shots
  6. Nocturn0l

semi auto is definitely better when your targets are moving as with your first shot you can check how much you have to lead the target and then quickly land some hits
  7. NinjaTurtle

I guess that is true. I just always prioritize my targets by how likely I am to hit, so I always go for stationary targets rather than those moving.

If you have flanked round and found a good view of the enemy position then you can always find people standing still performing various tasks.

• Medic reviving (should be moving whilst doing this but it amazes me how many people stand still to do it)
    • Engineers in turrets
    • Engineers reping MAX units (should be moving whilst doing this but it amazes me how many people stand still to do it)
    • HA lining up a shot with their launchers
    • Other snipers
    • People just generally standing still because they think they are behind cover and therefore safe
  8. Tyzh

I'm sorry, but I absolutely cannot laud the Semi-Autos an effective tool for counter-sniping. You suggest it is easy to land multiple shots on a stationary target, but I contend it is even easier to land just one. Further, the increased volume of fire will make you easier to locate, the increased time spent ADSing and engaging targets with your weapon leaves you more vulnerable to being counter sniped yourself. I have never been successfully counter-sniped by a semi-auto rifle, and I have counter-sniped a great many of people using them.

There are certainly times when the semi-autos have a niche they are filling and can be enjoyable to use, but counter-sniping is not one of them.
  9. Hoki

Question is how do you make a weapon that doesn't OHK useful when it has scope sway, and I contend that you don't.

If the 4x magnification and lower semi-auto's ever lose the scope sway I could see them being used as a higher damage battle rifle.

Right now, a rifle that doesn't OHK with scope sway? Novelty weapon.
    • Up x 1
  10. applecherry

I am not saying it easy to use, i believe not many people use the semi auto at a regular basis. However, i use it all the time as compared to bolt action and i think all you need to do is adapt and get used to the weapon and you be fine.Furthermore, throughout my playtime as an infiltrator, killing other infiltrator is the easiest compared to other class.You can check out my stats.
    [IMG]
  11. zaspacer

Cool. I have used the Spectre, XM98, and Parallax extensively. I will comment on my thoughts as well.

I agree w/ Mustarde that BASRs aren't just used at extreme long range. But applecherry has a point that using a Semi-Auto Sniper will put you closer to the battle more often in general because you don't have the same quality extreme long range option.

Also, SA Sniper has a lot of different utility uses up close, especially if you are in a group where you can take more shots and not worry about breaking stealth, can use the higher fire rate to clean up wounded foes, harass and disrupt more targets in a shorter time, and you can use hip fire option very close-quarters-combat (0-4 meters). etc.

That said, SA Sniper still doesn't have the OHK and one shot power the BASR has. Able to take down targets with much less time on the scope or trigger, able to take down targets with less trackable bullets in the air, etc.

I think they both are strong, just with different strengths.

Just for reference, here are the hip fire numbers for the Spectre when firing 20 sinlge, aimed hip fire shots on target at each range:

Hip Fire
    Spectre (w/ 6x, Suppressor, Forward Grip) (3x Bodydshot kill)
    3m 20/20 = 100%
    4m 18/20 = 90%
    5m: 13/20 = 65%
    10m: 7/20 = 35%
    15m: 3/20 = 15%

For me it depends on the engagement.

If it's 2 groups of Snipers, each at a fixed range, trading shots at each other, and looking for kills, I would go with the BASR. Less time on the Scope, OHK.

If it's mixed range targets, or you just want to wound targets to get them running, then I would go with the Spectre. No bullet drop means point and click, so you can easily hit targets at mixed ranges without recalibrating mildots. You still don't want to spend the time on the Scope for multiple shots in a face-off, because that will make you too easy to hit.

I starting trying out the Spectre (VS SA Sniper) again since the changes to see if it could take a loadout slot. After extensive use, I've decided not to have it in a loadout slot. Here is why:
    1) multiple shots give away location
    2) multiple headshot requirement results in some players escaping after first hit
    3) have to manage multiple shots within hold breath window
    4) have to manage multiple shots with mini-aim sway bug
    5) the hacking occupied enemy turret bug means I can't use the hip fire for that currently

That said, I still do like the Spectre. Especially for:
    1) no bullet drop: quicker to aim on range targets, better at mixed range targets, Suppressor has no added bullet drop effect so can run with the it on
    2) better for follow-up kills on wounded opponents
    But currently I have it on the sidelines. If they resolve the mini-aim sway bug and occupied enemy turret bug, I think the value of the gun for me would go up a lot.

I tried the NC and TR SA Snipers and didn't like them because of the Suppressor issue. I feel I need a Suppressor at close range, but at longe range it makes the gun really hard to use. If I could add/remove Suppressor in the field it would make these guns much more attractive.

They recently changed the Engineer Tool to allow much better evasive movement during use. Engineers that I have been above at close range have made a very hard target for a BASR aimed shot, when they are moving around now. I would add the "should be moving whilst doing this but it amazes me how many people stand still to do it" tag to this bullet point.

Plus..

People using Terminals
    People hacking
    People trying to hide or be sneaky
    People AFK, looking at menu screens, or otherwise waiting around
  12. Rasui

Agreeing with the OP. I break out my Spectre in all mid-range fights and it's an absolute beast with no drop.
  13. applecherry

I enjoy an intellectual debate. Thank you for the replies, i enjoy learning what other people think of the semi auto gun. Anyway, most of the replies talk about one hit kill (OHK). In fact, i think ohk is just an ego booster for the shooter. Furthermore, it is very easy to avoid getting hit in the head by sniper rifle,more so for bolt action. For someone that played LA as the 2nd most common class, I dont remember the last time i was killed by a bolt action. OHK is overrated as I would at least prefer to injure the enemy with my semi auto rather than trying to aim for the head and keep missing. Moreover, injuring the enemy will give friendlies an easier time to take him out.

I also realized that semi auto require AT LEAST 4 shots to kill beyond 75m. This is a serious shortfall as it is not easy to hit running enemies without missing a single bullet even for someone that uses the semi auto all the time. In addition, one also need to compensate for recoil and limited breathe.

[IMG]
  14. Celliosh

You should give the Nyx a try now. People say it's still ****, but my testing shows that it has a place. Using a 4x you'll get enough magnification for a lot of shots where SA is useful, the change in DPS compared to the Phantom at least is pretty small. It's also very quiet, meaning it'll take people longer to hear that you're around.
  15. Celliosh

Don't take this as an insult, as I'm about to mention your stats. Mine are not awesome, so not to lecture anybody, but seeing as you only have 58 kills with BASR I would recommend you to try them a bit more before claiming things like "OHK is overrated".
  16. applecherry

Overrated as in you do not necessary need to always aim for the head when using a sniper rifle. I am doing pretty well with the semi auto even with only body shots.

I think my performance is on par or even "better" than those infiltrators that goes for headshots only.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  17. zaspacer

The Nyx used to be my main gun because of its pinpoint precision across ranges, no sway ability to move from target to target quickly, etc.

But the new one is unreliable outside 80 meters, and that puts me right in the range of non-Infiltrator opponents with much higher firepower. And the multiple shots it takes to kill is like a beacon alerting enemy troops and helping them zero in to where you are. I've tried playing with the Nyx post GU7 and I gave up. I much prefer a Parallax w/ 6x Scope and Suppressor at the same ranges (or w/o Suppressor if Sniping at Long Range), SMG for CQC, and a Parallax w/ 12x Scope for Extreme Range Sniping.

I WANT to like the Nyx, Spectre, etc. And I have used them extensively at different points. But right now I don't have the confidence in them. If they fix the Hold Breath mini-sway bug and the hack occupied enemy turret bug then I will definitely try them again.
  18. zaspacer

A lot of times I want to either kill the opponent or not shoot. I can't afford to have them figure out where I am and either be healthy enough to come after me or communicate my position to their allies. I also don't want to shoot into a busy area with multiple shots that will draw attention and give away my position. One shot kills means anonymity and security.

That is why I leave MAXs alone unless they are at extreme or otherwise safe ranges. That is why I don't try to hit moving targets unless I am at extreme or otherwise safe ranges. It's not reliable, it blows stealth, and it's asking for them to hunt you down.
  19. Vaphell

true that, people hate snipers so much they bumrush them forgetting everything else. Giving away your position is simply asking for trouble.
  20. HydrooPUMP

I would consider using one only if playing VS sway + drop on moving target !?, I'd rather get a SAS-R/Ghost/TSAR-42.

Spectre's ( VS x6+ semi-auto sniper) idea of retaining no drop even with a silencer sound amazing