Why every one uses the striker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by planitsider, May 5, 2013.

1. planitsider

It seems that the striker has the best AA damage and the best tank damage.
    Why would anyone use one of the other lock on louncers??
    Except the dumb fire for MAX.
    Shouldn't it be better in a special role than be a good all-round weapon.
    Or high damage to tanks or to Air not both.
  2. Xankesh

You also can't lock turrets. In my opinion the Striker sucks, wish I had not bought it. I have characters on all three factions and
    have used their launchers. All different all as good in their own way, the Striker is not OP as you say. Sorry
  3. Xind

Yeah, I didn't buy the striker, it's poor against ground vehicles unless the driver recently sacrificed his eyes for more armor. It's good on Aircraft, but I already made the mandatory investment of a Dual Burster Max to play the game.
  4. FateJH

Fractures do seem rather fun but Strikers offer a good trade-off between reliability and reaction in my opinion. Not being able to target turrets is a bother, but it's not a big deal for me.
  5. planitsider

I dint say OP.
    Just saying why buy the hawk or some other lock weapon.
  6. ROCKFIISH

They should just take it out and give us a wire guided option. There was already plenty of lock on launchers, one more wasn't needed.
    • Up x 4
  7. planitsider

I d like that idea much more.
    Shouldn't be to powerful to infantry but that would give it a bit more skill to use at least.
    Just feel like PS2 giving the skill less weapons way to much power.
    Id rather see the dumb fire rocket get a bit more speed and power than all those lock on weapons.
    • Up x 2
  8. Teegeeack

It's a powerful weapon. More powerful than the annihilator, and we all know the whining when that was at its most overpowered. But the TR insist it's useless. That, of course, is the reason the TR rule the skies on pretty much every server.
    • Up x 2
  9. Littleman

See:

I don't know a TR that is actually "happy" happy with the thing. It's more of the same hand held AV we've seen for months, only in the TR style, and without dumb fire.

Yet, we do come with the highest DPS and damage potential weapons by default across all of our classes. Enemy MAXes aren't exactly hard to hit, however, and 750 RPM weapons do a number few NC and VS weapons can match, and only one of those few weapons between those two empire's is free.
  10. Xankesh

Sorry your right, you didn't say that.

Being that the Striker is TR you must mean the ASP-30 Grounder - the equivalent to the NC Hawk.
    That is what I would rather have gotten instead of the Striker. I'm not certain but I will assume that like
    the Nemesis it can also be dumb fired.

That being said I still don't agree that the Striker needs to be altered

Are you sure your not saying it is overpowered?
  11. Tommyp2006

You know, for as much as I see all these "everyone uses the striker" and "strikers are everywhere" threads, I seem to end up being the only one who uses their lock on launchers to shoot at anything in anything but the largest battles, and I don't even use the striker, annihilator still works just fine. I'm yet to see an entire hillside covered in striker users, which is what these forums always seem to make it seem like it happens.

For shooting at air, I actually like my Grounder much better, it hits harder in one punch. Hitting with all 5 rockets on the Striker is very unreliable, and rarely happens. If you get hit by all 5 from one person, you're way too exposed.
  12. Sen7ryGun84

Striker... its crap alone, but great in groups. Just like every other launcher in the game.

I much prefer the standard G2A lock on launcher that can also be dumb fired. Its more versatile that the striker and with the velocity buff it received in the last update its better than ever.

I would trade in my strike for a Lancer or Phoenix any day of the week. Especially the Lancer that thing is badass.
  13. The Reveller

The Striker only has the highest damage of the lock on launchers IF you land all five. This takes longer than any other launcher. That's the tradeoff - more damage for more time.

When you are in a big group, the Striker is at its most powerful because you can get multiple shots on the target in a short space of time. When you're on your own, though, I find it very rare that I get all five shots on anything. Stationary targets are no problem, but since it takes so long to fire them all you have a good chance of getting shot while you're doing it. ESFs though usually bug out as soon as you get lock on, so only get the first few hit, which is worse damage than the single-shot launchers.

When I'm on my own I use the Annihilator as I do more damage overall - also thinking of getting the Grounder for the same reason. Strikers are standard for outfit play.
  14. AnuErebus

Striker comes with a major problem over other rockets. Its rockets don't track like other lock ones such as the SKEP (Lock-on AV) and Grounder (Lockon AA). Skep and Grounder both try to follow their targets. Striker on the other hand tries to predict the motion path of whatever it locks onto. What that means is that if the target is driving in a direction the striker will plot the shortest route to the vehicles destination and go there. This isn't such a big deal for people who sit around but those that move can potentially throw a strikers aim off causing striker rockets to hit nothing but ground.

ESFs actually are nearly impossible to hit if they have a good pilot. I was once in a fight where four strikers locked onto an ESF and fired at the same time. All the pilot had to do was a quick little flip and point his nose at the ground. 20 rockets zoomed straight at his predicted location. Underground. I know flares weren't used because a moment later I saw him pop flares as a grounder chased after him.

In a nutshell. The other lock-ons provide a more reliable source of damage at the cost of damage. Striker is the least reliable lock-on launcher we have.
  15. MGP

The "default" lockon G2A and G2G launchers still do more DPS then Striker. TR "Grounder" and it's ES analogs kills ESF faster then Striker. Also Striker got tracking problems. I was so disappointed in Striker, what i have refunded my SC for it (via support ticket). It was the worst purchase i've ever made in PS2.
    Edit: Oh, yea. And "default" launchers can dumbfire.
    So, there are a lot of reasons to pick a G2A or G2G launcher over Striker.
    • Up x 1
  16. Llaf

It's not a good all-around weapon because it can't be fired without a lock. It's a good anti-vehicle weapon. The ML-7, Shrike, and S1, are good all-around weapons because they can hit and do damage to everything.
  17. Llaf

With GU08 they changed the strikers pathing. The rockets now detect and avoid terrain. I was shooting at a tank behind a tree and I watched the rockets literally do a half circle around the tree to avoid the branches. I've fired plenty of rockets at air units recently and was amazed at the hits I was getting when I thought I would get none, because the rockets were following people behind hills that would have normally eaten the rockets up.
  18. phreec

Pretty much any even moderately organized TR squad I've come across has a truckload of HA spamming the Striker against both air and armour. It's the Annihilator 2.0 and far from 'teh suck' as many TR make it sound like...
    • Up x 1
  19. Rickenbacker

I bought it, and more or less stopped using it. You generally don't hit much with it, as it either takes too long to lock on, or some or all of the rockets hit the ground on the way. In theory it's a good weapon, but the implementation ruins it.
    • Up x 1
  20. Zotamedu

I trialed it and I wont spend any money on it. It's just way too situational. It's crap against air. A couple of burster MAX will outperform a Striker nest every time. I've seen it many many times. Often a bunch of good bursters can take out an ESF before I have time to get a lock. The leaves ground where you have to pick your location very carefully. You need distance and you need elevation and you need to be able to remain fairly hidden. The terrain also needs to be open. Ergo, pretty useless. I rarely even use my Annihilator anymore. It's Decimator all the way.