[Suggestion] I want a Vertical, Underground continent : Labyrinth, Mineshaft, Spacehulk, Balls

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hoki, May 3, 2013.

1. Hoki

I'm going to post a bunch of awesome and inspiring pictures of vertical/underground spaces, and you use your imagination to build me an underground continent.
    No vehicles allowed.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Black Mesa biaaatch (biatches love black mesa)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 6
  2. xen3000

Balls? Can't we just have some halls instead? :p

Good idea otherwise.
    • Up x 2
  3. Hoki

Space HUUUULK

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  4. TheRealMetalstorm

to be honest, i'm not sure if PS2's engine can handle the culling required to ensure smooth FPS.

Anyone here used to map BSPs for GoldSrc engines? (Counter-Strike, Half Life 1, etc)
    Remember when hlvis would take forever (even the one you switched to, tommy's versions) if you didn't handle visblocks properly
    • Up x 1
  5. RHINO_Mk.II

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The reason my callsign is in caps is because there was no lowercase font in Descent.
    • Up x 2
  6. DeltaGun

I believe the Devs are planning some more of this stuff. We got to see a few examples in Vertical-oriented bases with Amerish, and Higby has revealed (via Twitter IIRC) that we may be seeing more subterranean areas in new Continents.
    • Up x 2
  7. Hoki

8. Sebyos

WELL GREAT SUGGESTION BUT, even if the dev liked the idea and wanted to do it. It would take 6 ******* months and that AFTER we finally get Hossin...
  9. Pikachu

I don't want the population to be diluted any more than it will be with Hossin and I have always found tight dark indoor environments to be most boring in FPS games. It's just as bad as volcanic planets in RTS games. No one likes it yet game developers keep having them.
  10. Hoki

11. Hoki

Valid, but an underground continent doesn't have to be all tight corridors, it could have bases in locations that are as spacious and open like any other continent, just underground so no vehicles could get in. Some kind of railed vehicles like trains, sky lifts, elevators.

Fixed turret placements in huge spacious areas maybe, but you can't mass 120 phalanx turrets so at least there'd be an upper bound on that kind of aoe death.

Man a spacehulk in this game would make perfect sense. Between the continents a sunken advance alien leviathan is discovered, predating the vanu and more advanced.
    Each faction establishs a limited warpgate on the outside of the leviathan, and you go in there like space marines.

Goddamn I've got a raging nerd boner right now.
    • Up x 1
  12. HazyW

People don't consider that there may be limitations due to the engine. I doubt it was designed to handle a vertical continent.
  13. Mostadio

The caves in PS1 had a few dedicated players, but were mostly neglected, no matter how many incentives the devs threw at them. Buffs, access to self-propelled artillery, a fast moving vehicle that could sweep the field clear of infantry, and another that could instantly teleport players to nearby areas (often letting spawning players at AMS completely bypass a base's walls) simply weren't enough to garner interest.
  14. [fr31ns]Karrde

Someone post pics of the caves XD Seriously though this could be done. If it was done right. I steered clear of the caves mostly because they were just no fun.
  15. Tanelorn

[IMG]

They already did this in planet side one. It was awful, we all hated it. Do not repeat this mistake.
    • Up x 1
  16. Hoki

I see the mistake. There is a vehicle in that picture.
  17. Obscura

No my friend, you don't like them lol. I know plenty of people including PS1 vets who would LOVE to have some large indoor areas