Frame Rate/Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Gary, May 4, 2013.

1. Gary

So with all the negative reports of bad Frame Rates etc i took a bit out of my stream. You can see the FPS in the bottom left tracked by the game.

The stream obviously has some impact on the quality however the in game (my end is fine) you can see it varies between 170 - 190fps and even gets over 200 when inside the Bio Lab, There is no major fighting going on but around 20 people on screen.

So is the ingame FPS counter broken or do i just get that FPS =/ Wasn't getting that before GU8 was around 70FPS.

twitch.tv/spencley/c/2241797

Specs are as follows:

I5 2500k @4.3ghz
    RadeonHD6950
    8gb Ram

Still working on streaming settings :) If anyone has any advice let me know!
  2. Gary

Screenshot of Ultra Settings 240+ FPS in the warpgate. Don't have a brand new computer. Same specs as above.

[IMG]

if people really are getting Terrible FPS constantly i would recommend checking your PC thoroughly for any malicious software etc and even clear some space on it. People complain about low FPS with very simply Systems to my own =/
  3. Swatmat

care to post your useroptions.ini for the ultra settings?
  4. UnrealGaz

I have a fresh windows 7 install a better cpu i7 3770k@4.6ghz
    sli gtx 580's
    16 gig ram and ultra settings I only pull 140fps max at warp gate and that's with 2 gfx cards (im perma gpu bound unless at big stations)

im absolutely destroyed at how much better your fps is than mine and I have better specs so to say
  5. Gary

Set one card to only manage PhysX in planetside 2. From what i remember you get better FPS from 1 card managing everything + 1 card purely for physx then having 2 cards trying to do the same thing.
  6. Volccis

To me this video was very laggy. I run often +50 FPS but its not the FPS which matters all the time, its more likely the when memory cannot hold all the incoming data and you get that stuttering what I see in your twitch video.

EDIT: Just a random video to compare
    In that video you can see the guy runnin with ~40 FPS and its still smoother than your video. Of course he isnt in Bio Lab but the point is to run the game well everywhere.
  7. Gary

Yea my stream sucks :p Still setting it up D: Thats just a a small section but it often stutters for huge chunks at a time :(
  8. UnrealGaz

70fps on one card and its at 100% load ive tried all those settings im just dumbfounded at how high your fps is
  9. Volccis

Ye, it may also be just the Bio Lab but also it may be if your CPU/RAM cannot run on the higher settings but your GPU can. So your CPU and RAM have to handle the data first and GPU later and if they cannot handle all data at the same time you get stuttering.
    I think there isnt much to do but to lower settings, when CPU/RAMs cannot handle that much data at same time than GPU :/

Also running on higher settings you may probably get memory leaks faster, not sure but I would think so.
  10. Gary

My stream stutters and jumps because i need to get the bitrates and settings in xsplit right, The game runs fine without stuttering even when streaming. Not to worried about that though :)

The video you linked was done with the following specs, HD7770 GHz ed, a quad-core i5-3570 3.4GHz, and 8GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz.. It also was not live streamed which allows for much better quality :p might give recording like that a go if someone can suggest a program other then fraps :)

It takes a pretty damn expensive PC to stream 1080p or a pc dedicated to streaming via capture cards to get great quality like that whilst streaming :)

The screenshot is the quality i see, The stream is a pretty bad example to use but it just shows the FPS.
  11. Hatamoto

id like to see it as well
  12. UnrealGaz

243 fps im really really shocked hes got it so high and I cap out at a lot less with a more powerfull system
  13. Gary

Here is what i have been using as "Ultra Settings". If it is incorrect or missing bits feel free to post with changes! So many different "Ultra" options if you look around. I will make adjustments and see how it is... some Say it should be 0, some say 5 some say 0.5 etc :p

http://pastebin.com/duAYdFVq
  14. UnrealGaz

all the values that are 5 asre actually setting them back down too medium you only need to change texture quality to "0" to get the ultra settings textures the rest stay high a guy has a huge testing page about it

render quality also activates "supersampleing" above 1.000000 ie 1.40000 makes it looks sweet but hits your gpu hard
  15. TintaBux

Most people get poor performance and most it gets worse with each patch, most on clean systems, allot of fresh installs/new pc's, it's related to PS2, just many have bad performance, for some it's okay.

When I seen your screen-shots and stream I thought the game looked like it was on medium as quality looks quite poor. So checking your user file your using "5" so your not really running ultra, as 5 just sets it to medium when in game. You need to have "4"
  16. Hatamoto

I am not entierly sure wich options go to what, but i know alot of them will revert to medium if set to 5 .. :p try using a clean ini file, keep the default settings but set texturequality to 0, see what fps you get. After GU08 it seems i can run with all settings high and shadows on medium without dropping below 45 fps in zergs, so there seems to have been improvements. I max 120 fps @ the warpgate with these settings, have seen it @ 150 in certain open spaces without much action.

i7 950 @ 4,1 ghz
    670gtx
    12 ram
  17. Gary

Quickly made those changes, now the INI looks like this http://pastebin.com/3MwYG5cs It seems setting things to 5 leaves them in the previous state. I set everything in game to high then logged out and changed the INI, i ignored The tick boxes for AO, Motion blur etc and they remained at 5.

No huge difference whilst flying about on the Alert continent mainly just environment

[IMG]

Grabbed above wilst heading to "hotspot" which was an amp station were i snagged this, Was some people fighting but nothing massive, will grab more as i have a session tomorrow and will get a group of them together. Definitely see a drop in frames on the following screenshot though.

[IMG]

I imagine it will be a huge hit with 30 or more people fighting :p I am not surprised by this to be fair.

If i am honest i can definitely cope with the previous settings i was using if needs be, the game looks incredible even on those settings :)
  18. Volccis

Ah, I thought you stutter if you stream. My bad :p
  19. UnrealGaz

something is still amiss as I never see 125 fps in any kind of fight I have run a registery cleaner latest drivers for everything I feel robbed atm!
  20. Hatamoto

Try it with ambient occlusion as well and head to a zerg fight, would be interesting to see your minimum fps under those circiumstances. If you can stay over 60 in a zerg i might finally consider a ric upgrade.