TR Carbine advice

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by HarvestCheddar, Apr 30, 2013.

1. HarvestCheddar

Hello ladies & gents,

I've been trawling through the internet for advice on the best carbines for a TR light assault. I'm currently leaning towards the Jaguar.

My problem is that due to the frequency and content of the updates SOE is putting out, a lot of the information is outdated. I am going to be using certs to buy a weapon, and I really don't want to spend a thousand on something sub-par.

So my question is this, how does the Jaguar/Lynx compare to NS weapons such as the NS11C? Which would you recommend? Also, does the TR have a decent long-range option?

Thanks for your help!

Note: I am aware (and have looked through) the similar posts in the forum. However, they are mainly based on the comparative advantages of Carbines vs. SMGs vs. Shotguns, and I don't think any of them have specifically addressed the NS weapons.
  2. Mr. Troffleops

AFAIK, no we do not have a decent long range carbine. The AMC is trash, but I have never tried the NS11C.

BE WARNED. Next patch anything over 750rpm is getting a nerf at range. So if you are getting the jag with the idea of sniping... I wouldn't.

From my time in the VR and trialing I feel that the Lynx and Jag are superior to the NS11C. However, I'm very much a CQC LA, and you havn't told us how you play or what you are looking for. Personally I use the Lynx all day, every day.
  3. HarvestCheddar

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Honestly, I'm a pretty bad player. I've only recently managed to get my system to run the game at over 20 FPS, so hopefully that'll help.

I'm still tweaking my playstyle, but as it stands, I'll shoot anything I can. If I see an enemy, I prefer to engage at range, rather than jetpack down to him/her though.

Also, the Jag is 750 RPM exactly. D'ya reckon it'll still get nerfed?
  4. Mr. Troffleops

haha I feel ya about the FPS thing. It does help, especially in CQC.

Carbines are a freaking science. To become truly effective with a carbine you should understand a few things. Sadly, your playstyle is PERFECT for the Pulsar C for the VS. Great long-range carbine that does well in CQC. We don't really have anything like that.

From Joshua
    Take that as you will. I'm not entirely sure.

Now, you talk like I used to talk, and by and large that is a legitimate playstyle, however, now that you have some FPS, let me reccomend that you try the Lynx in the VR, equip the advanced laser sight. Don't bother aiming down the sites, just hipfire. You will be AMAZED at how competent you will become in CQC. I used to be awful in CQC but a good high ROF weapon plus an advanced laser sight, and accurate hipfire will be a game changer for you, I promise.

The Jag is probably the better choice for all around play, and it is much more accurate at range, that being said, I don't have too many problems at range with the Lynx, again, its about practice more then anything. For you I would suggest the Jag over the NS11C, however hopefull someone else who has used the NS11 can talk about it.

Also, you mention range, and something I think you are forgetting is the Trac 5. The stock track 5 with a forward grip is actually quite effective at range, more so then the AMC in my opinion.
  5. HarvestCheddar

Hmm, I appreciate the insight!

Yeah, by all accounts, the AMC is pretty lacking. Would be awesome to have a marksman-ish rifle as a LA though.

I have been to the VR room, however, my issue is that it isn't a real indicator of how you'll do with the weapon 'in the real world'. I find myself getting kills as easily with the Lynx as with my Trac 5 S. And you can't have any attachments on a trial weapon, either.

I guess it basically comes down to me either learning to deal with Lynx recoil or going with the Jag. The new update is worrying for the Lynx, though.
  6. Mr. Troffleops

Yeah, I would personally wait until the nerfs hit before picking up anything.
  7. HarvestCheddar

Roger that, thanks buddy
  8. HarvestCheddar

Still looking for insight on the NS11C though, fellas. Tell me your war stories!
  9. Ghoest

Right now the Jaguar is clearly the best choice.

But any weapon advice you get is probably a waste with GU8 coming soon.
  10. HarvestCheddar

I don't know about clearly the best, but you're right, it's definitely up-there as a top contender. Haven't the GU08 modifications already been made to the test server?
  11. Kronic

The majority of people will tell you it's bad, and I can understand that but I love it. I Auraxiumed it a little while ago. It has a very low fire rate and muzzle velocity so you need to be pretty precise with it, so I wouldn't recommend it to you personally as you yourself said "you're pretty bad". The high mag capacity and decent RoF on the Jag I think would help you out the most mate. You may find the Lynx hard to use I guess, so yeah, I think the Jag would suit you. All that said the though, the Trac-5 is an awsome gun, don't rule it out too fast.
  12. HarvestCheddar

Thanks!

Is the damage considerably higher compared to the Lynx/Jag? Also, when you say you need to be precise with it, do you mean during CQC, or do you mean the NS11C functions as a de-facto "sniper-rifle"?
  13. Kronic

It has the same damage model as the Jaguar (143dmg/10m - 112dmg/65m) while the Lynx is a damage tier below (143dmg/10m - 100dmg/65m). To answer your second question, I mean in all situations really because it's very unrewarding if you're not at a certain skill level due to it's low rof, damage per second (DPS) and potentially hard to control recoil if your not to great at that (it pulls up and to the left). While the Jag has high DPS, lots of rounds in the mag and an easy to control recoil due to it's recoil being balanced, making it an easier weapon to use overall. Also the Jag is more well rounded, it's good in CQC and pretty decent at range while the NS-11C is more suited to mid-long ranges.
  14. HarvestCheddar

Hmm, thanks again!

I notice the bullet velocity is only 10m/s higher than the Jag, and I believe the Jag is similar or superior to the NS11C in all (most?) other ways. Why use the NS11C at all?
  15. Kronic

Low and very controllable recoil once you get a certain skill level. It's as good as the user can make it basically (at mid-long range) due to it's up and to the left pattern while the left and right bounce of the Jag makes it no good at past a certain range. Basically, I can compensate for the NS-11Cs low bullet velocity by leading my target but I can't compensate for the Jaguars left and right bouncy recoil at range. Hope I didn't mess up my explanation :3
  16. HarvestCheddar

No, makes perfect sense! Thanks a lot!

I've heard similar things about the Lynx, some people like it better because it's recoil is worse, but it's consistent.
  17. Wolfwood82

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but the NS-11C is a strait downgrade compared to all carbines from TR. The recoil thing is really debatable, if you want better range from the Jag you can slap a fore grip on it and it's a decent medium range carbine and doesn't sacrifice much CQC capability to obtain this advantage. Alternatively the adv. laser sight it can sport can also improve medium range combat without the need to jump into ADS to be effective. Faster reactions often win fights.

My best advice is shoot for the Trac-5 S. Doesn't matter what situation you need, the jack of all trades will be able to supply you with decent capabilities to meet the challenge. You can easily reach out and touch people at medium range, while having the UBSG for CQC work, you can set yourself for CQC-short range and use an UBGL to give yourself extra firepower at short-mid ranges. The possibilities are really endless for this weapon and it's probably the single best gun for someone who is un-sure of their desired play style or likes to change it up often.
  18. Ghoest

Yes I think you established in the first post that you "don't know",
    If you fight at the ranges that most people fight at - mostly 5-30 meters and sometimes out to 50 then its the best.

And never trust test server stats in any game.

The NS gun only makes sense if you some sort of disability and cant handle even modest recoil. You give up serious dps and TTK with the NS in exchange for better control - but the Jag is already plenty controllable.
  19. Kronic

Yeah the Lynx is my most used gun at 5k kills for it's massive dps and controllable recoil, very predictable unlike guns the have balanced horizontal recoil. It's easy to manage once you get used to it.
    • Up x 1
  20. lilleAllan

If you have low FPS and want to engage at mid range, I recommend you play medic.
    Assault Rifles have higher bullet velocity and less damage drop off, and when your fps is bad, you can gain some certs by reviving people. On my TR alt I run the Cycler with a foregrip.

It might have something to do with the name 'Cycler'. I don't know why, it's just a cool name for a gun. Sounds so effective.