I'm Upset at the Daily Membership Cert Gain

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stellus, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Tact

This. It's a joke, should be passive, pay to have to log in every day or miss out on... yeh gg.
  2. illgot

technically it is passive, but they should write in, "only passive for 24 hours and requires you to log in every 24 hours or the passive cert gain will be disabled". I wonder how much that would hurt their sales.

Now you may understand the level of frustration of six month subscribers.
  3. Haterade

I can't be bothered to look at 20 pages from a month old thread, but the point of passive cert gain is to get people logging into the game. If you log into the game, you're a lot more likely to play than if you don't (...makes sense doesn't it?). They want people to play the game. Giving you certs for logging in makes it more likely you'll play the game.

It would be absolutely stupid for passive certs to stack up. The point is to get people to play the game, not to AFK their way to upgrades.
    • Up x 1
  4. illgot

that should be stated in the Membership subscription page.

People have subscribed 6 months not knowing the passive cert gain was still 24 hours for members.

I had a friend that purchased the membership, then a few weeks later was shipped out to to the Pacific for 6 months. He'll come back to 48 certs and no membership.

Others have to go out for days or weeks at a time without access to log in.

This is my first SOE game where they had a cash shop and membership. What I have learned is you can never trust SOE and after this game I doubt I'll play another SOE title.
  5. Jakey

If you can't be bothered to read the 20 pages of the thread then why are you posting?

As has been stated before numerous times not everyone who plays this game has the time to log in everyday. Believe it or not, I find it hard to take 5 minutes for a **** on some days, let alone log in to a dam video game.

Some of us have pretty busy lives and maybe log on once or twice a week.

Why should I be less entitled to these 'passive' certs than someone who can spare 20 minutes a day?
  6. Haterade

...because that's how the world works?

I'm not sure why people assume that passive cert gain will continue to accrue if you don't log in. No where does it say that.
  7. Cab00se187

wuh? wait? So if your a poor person who can't afford food and go to the soup kitchen everyday to get this free food, you'll get mad the day you don't go because it'll take too long to walk there so the next time you go you demand more?
  8. ManicUndies

They already tried passive gain Beta. People would make accounts, not play them, hop on to get a truckload of auraxium. Of course, at the time auraxium was a depot resource, but the logic remains the same. The fact that there is 24hr passive cert gain at all should be enough. Games that use similar resource rewards alongside EXP for playing, such as League of Legends (IP), require you to actually play the game to get any of it.

Further more, if you have no time to play this game, even just 30 seconds to log in, why did you bother getting a membership? Heck, even the anecdote about the guy who's shipping out for 6 months must have known about the possibility of that happening. Don't blame SOE for your lack of foresight.
    • Up x 4
  9. Saintfanny

But if we are paying/subscribing so the game can carry on should we not get something for letting the free players play?
  10. Cab00se187

Uh, you get no queue to switch continents or you get first in line. You get 500 free certs a month. Christ, you guys are spoiled fricking children
  11. Jakey

Neither does it say the opposite, in fact it infers the opposite by the very definition of passive e.g. not requiring active input.

Hmmmmm. If the guy physically can't walk to the soup kitchen everyday, then yes I would expect the soup kitchen to give him extra for the days that he can't make the journey. So, for the people who can't log in everyday because of work/life/family commitments I would expect SOE to offer the same courtesy. Especially given the way that the passive cert's are advertised.

EVE?

I'm not saying that the cert timer should be limitless (although I don't see why this would matter as you earn a bunch more certs actually playing the game AND need to play the game to actually be good at it), but 24hrs is too small a window for many people.

If you can't understand this, then you obviously DO have an abundance of time to log in every day (and that's great for you). I don't, and a lot of my buddies don't, which means this issue affects us. I'm not going to cancel my membership, because I want to support the game - but it's a part of the membership that I'm not happy with, and it's short-sighted of SOE. It's also obvious that it's being done for un-altruistic reasons.

Yes, yes we're all spoiled children because we want something that we paid for. This is modern consumerism at its best. A company not delivering on a product that they advertise, and the consumer being in the wrong for questioning it.

You do realise that we pay for those 'free' 500 SC and queue priority don't you?
  12. COR_

I also dislike this, I don't have time to play every day nor would i want to play the same game every day, I like the idea of logging in after a few days and still having made progress, having to log in and load up each faction (I have one charicter per faction) every day is just a pain in the ***.
    I paid my money, give me my points.
    • Up x 1
  13. Dingus148

I just hate that I lose out on heaps of certs because I can't get to a computer to log in. I'm a paying member...I AM COMING BACK OR I'D CANCEL MY SUB. I feel like I've been somewhat screwed, because I bought the membership without knowing you had to log daily. I'm not mad enough to demand a refund, but I think SOE could look at the issue.

EDIT; I also acknowledge the P2W argument, and can't fault the logic...which is kind of why I'm not furious about the whole thing. That being said, it's not fair on people who work a lot far from home to have their sub wasted due to a stupidly restrictive login rule
  14. ManicUndies

1. SOE never stated that members would be immune to the 24hr time limit.
    2. They have mentioned that you must log in at least once a day to reset the timer, multiple times in fact.
    3. Again, it takes all of 30 seconds to login and reset the timer; you obviously have enough time to complain about it on the forums.

Here's an analogy for you. Guy wants to get in shape. He can work out for free in his home whenever he wants, doing push-ups or what have you. Free workouts obviously. Or he could choose to get a gym membership. This will net him access to equipment and other amenities.

With either option, the guy won't get in shape unless he exercises. Why should he expect to get in shape just because he has a gym membership?
  15. Jakey

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

1. SOE never stated that members would HAVE a 24hr time limit, this was never and still isn't clear. It is left deliberately ambiguous as far as I'm concerned.

2. To prove the above point https://www.planetside2.com/shop?buy=membership Please tell me where it states that you must log in on a daily basis to claim those Cert's. You must remember, consumers are stupid, and it is not obvious simply having an arbitrary XX/day. The more obvious inference of this is that you gain XX cert's daily, NOT that XX is the daily cap which you must log in to obtain. I come from EVE where passive means passive, so I expected the same when I purchased membership for PS2.

3. Yup, I do have time to complain on the forums today, and I've also had time to log in to get my Cert's today. Tomorrow and the day after I won't, and this bothers me. Anyway, why does it matter to you if someone logs in for 5 minutes a day to claim there cert's or not?

Nice analogy, except you left out the part where the gym promised that the dude would get fit at home if he takes out the membership, takes his money and THEN tells him he's got to go to the gym every day ;)
    • Up x 3
  16. Tact

Probably enough for them to change it to passive without the requirement for login. The rest of your comment was like visiting an animal in a zoo, much like an ape flinging its faeces, we understand why you feel the need to go off on tangents and point score in forum threads. :)

Roughly 17k certs across the course of a year is nothing, and should be rewarded to the patrons who support the game without requirement for login. The very fact that people pay subscriptions and invest in a game shows they will play; adding a "only if you log in" clause is an insult to the good faith that purchase was made with and treats the patrons as little more than cattle.

Take your apologist dribble elsewhere, this community doesn't need it. :)
    • Up x 3
  17. biterwylie

Oh smart guy huh :rolleyes:

I am billing $200 an hour at work, working 12 hours days, in between wiping the crap from my childs buttocks and organising house moves etc. I paid for passive certs gain for a reason. That reason was not to actively switch on the computer and log into PS2 in the morning to collect 48 certs and then log off!
  18. Cab00se187

Then don't log on in the morning. Log on when you want to play and Voila, those 48 certs are still there waiting for you.
  19. ManicUndies

As you said, yes, consumers are stupid. Great that you decided to support the game, hats off to you. Reality is, the world is full of "fine line" details. If you can't be bothered to do some research, or even noticed the little tips they flash in between loading screens, then well, sucks. Sounds like SOE's marketing department is doing their job.

Like another poster said, the cert gain is negligible over a year, assuming you're actually playing the game like someone who wanted to drop some cash on a FTP would. If you're not, then you should probably reevaluate how you're spending your money. As far as why I should care, well you see, on a forum, topics are posted and people get to discuss them. Posters will not necessarily share the same opinion as others, and more often than not this is the case. So in reality, it doesn't matter to me that people collect their free certs, however I read a post about someone's complaints, and I proposed a counter point.

Also, like you said, they may have been ambiguous about the cert gain limit, but the cert gain is still present. What's more, the increased exp from actually playing the game offsets it so much that it doesn't matter. We have a case of someone who was silly enough to invest money in a game they didn't have to and yet complains that they don't have enough time to play it. If you're so concerned about having certs for unlocks, play the game. 48 certs a day, or let's assume 1440 a month would be meaningless to someone who isn't playing the game. Or how about a scenario where the user will have only 1/3 the days of a month available to play the game. They then lose out on 960 certs, that is nothing. Oh but they wanted to buy a gun! Well good thing they have the 500sc a month!

I'm sorry, but all I see in these complaints are people who are signing up for memberships yet only play as casual gamers and it makes no sense.
    • Up x 1
  20. SteelMantis

I like it like it is.

Membership offers several benefits including a nice increase to passive cert gain and pay to win needs to be kept under control (and come on, logging in once after six months to get +20-40 battle ranks is pretty blatantly P2W) . The day I kill my brother because I'm well into my professional life and he is in the middle of college we are both going to have to find another game.