Getting a weird glitch...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Brogan9001, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Brogan9001

I have been getting an odd glitch every now and then for the past two months, and it has progressively gotten worse. It seems to be something with the player model texture, for lack of a better description, flipping out.

Basically, I will be playing, sometimes in a big fight, sometimes at the warpgate far from the action, when suddenly, this happens:
    [IMG]

Sometimes it will happen only if I look in a certain direction, which can be...manageable. Other times, there is no escaping it. Sometimes it will come and then go after a few minutes. Most of the time, I need to restart the client. Its basically the new flashing lights glitch for me (which very rarely I still get, and on one particularly bad day, I had this AND the flashing glitch).
    My evidence toward it being the player model texture is this:
    [IMG]
    That is what I see when I log out due to this glitch.

So yeah. I cannot stress enough though that since GU7 this has happened far less, but when it does, it is far worse. Has anyone else had this issue, and is it fixable on my end? Or is this something entirely new?
  2. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

That's...horrifying, to say the least. Can you try removing your video card's drivers (I use Driver Sweeper, myself) and reinstalling the latest drivers from your video card's manufacturer web-site? This should ensure none of your driver's files have become corrupt.
  3. noralvarin

I've had the glitch in the first picture happen to me as well, usually about 2-3 times a day (Never seen the second one though)... :/
  4. Brogan9001

Now that I looked more closely, I suppose the two pictures are different glitches. The second picture is the really bad one. Basically it looks like a colony of spiders are having a "get together" in front of your face, in this constantly shifting mass. Kinda looks like a thick black line curled and collapsed in on itself and is constantly shifting, like a cartoon smoke ball showing frustration. Except its horrible. And obstructs almost all vision. And seems to usually happen after moving fast (based on the fact that 5 of the 7 times that its happened were in an ESF. Just try not to fly an ESF directly into the ground when what appears to be ALL the spiders IN THE WORLD having a massive "get together" directly on your character's eyeballs)

To answer your question, I have no idea how to do that. The extent of my computer knowledge is equivalent to banging rocks together and hoping something works. As for the corrupt thing, I don't think that anything is corrupt based on how little its happened. (like I said, only 7 times in the past 2 months) However, if you can give me a step by step list on how exactly to do that, I could try. I did try to update NVIDIA when the PS2 features became a thing, but I ran into a wall of technobabble questions that shied me away.
  5. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

No problem, here's what you want to do:
    - Download a program called "Driver Sweeper" (you can find it via Google)
    - Install/run it and remove your current video card drivers
    - Visit NVidia's web-site and download/install the latest drivers for your card
    - Reboot & try playing again

Let me know if you still run into issues.
  6. werzinator

Video card is artifacting. How high are your temperatures? You can use programs like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision (regardless of what brand card you have) to see in-game temperatures via the on-screen display (OSD).

Some cards have higher thermal limits than others. Generally, you want to avoid 90C+.

Keep this card as cool as you can. If the card remains cool (~60-70C range) and still artifacts, then your card may be on its way out. Test your graphics card in some other games and see if you get artifacting in those as well.

Could you give us the specs for your machine?
  7. Brogan9001

I'll be sure to! Thanks!

Am still curious if anyone else has had a similar issue as the one in my second picture. Here is a video of the issue I took a few weeks ago. This was either the third or second to last time, and since GU7 its only happened once, which I believe is thanks to performance updates (however remember, I have the computer skills of a sea urchin)