The NC6 Gauss SAW, T9 CARV and the Orion - Replacing myth with facts

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hisenburg, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Xind

Most TR are using the T9 carv because it's literally our best LMG. The MSW-R is only a side grade in actuality and the TMG-50 isn't really that great in close combat, unlike the EM6 which has just enough gusto to out perform it at any range. The rest of our choices in the end pale in comparsion to the T9 Carv/MSW-R or TMG-50, so why bother using them AT ALL. More over why bother paying certs/sc for the MSW-R when you start with the Carv.
    • Up x 1
  2. Littleman

Sorry, but I'm going to be quoting MULTIPLE posts here, and I don't want any one to absorb too much space.

I'm aware of CoF. The CARV blooms like a mofo's pride in a room full of hot cougars.

Horizontal recoil CAN NOT be compensated for if it alternates between left and right pull, bringing us to this guy:

If the CARV had a direction bias, I'd never touch the MSW-R. That's kind of the core complaint among TR: the bias of the CARV goes in BOTH directions, and it isn't a left right left right deal, it can fire right right right left right right left left left left left right right right... Sometimes, it WILL be super accurate, other times, it insists on throwing your aim way off. The worst part is trying to compensate for a prolonged directional pull and it runs the risk of it changing direction and then One quickly finds themselves over shooting their target again.

It's easy to make the SAW work in CQC. People do it all the time. Being the default gun, they figure out how to pretty damn fast. This isn't to say there aren't better options, but pretending the SAW is a miserable contender to the CARV in CQC is laughable. They're both atrocious against other options, (which is part of the CARV's problem in praising it's CQC "superiority") but they're not unwieldy if one needs to make them work... unless they have a high powered scope attached.

It's the long range game that's also part of the CARV's problem. The CARV falls horrifically short of the SAW. Simply put, the SAW is a more adaptable platform in the hands of a skilled player, and the TR player is limited to the short comings of their CARV's $#!%%& recoil playing a huge part in combat, particularly around the 100m mark and beyond, even with a fore grip. Granted, by this point, both guns are becoming more held back by the CoF in tandem with any recoil, the SAW is just suited better to make its shots count because of it's capability of maintaining lower recoil values. Stop being an ignorant, biased noob. The SAW is leagues easier to work with, their differences growing shallower as the distance grows shorter. A stock Gauss > stock CARV over range. In CQC, it really does boil down to the better shot and who shot first.

But through this entire thread, and I can't believe I completely ignored this one key fact, we're assuming someone will actually sit still long enough to be killed at 100m+ out by anything but sniper rifles or stray rounds/pop shots finishing off a wounded target.

If it means anything, I think I've found SOE's intended handling of TR weapons, as frustrating as it is. Call it an epiphany. If I were to call for an alternate balance that might actually work, I'd say the CARV needs a 2x reflex just as an option and possibly a faster reload, preferably by a second.

I'll take the Anchor for 1000, but others will say the EM6. It really comes down to taste. However, this thread is more about starter weapons, than any of the more advanced kit, though discussions regarding such kit will come up from time to time.
  3. Divinorium

The bullet going to the right in this video is the vertical recoil.

what you are talking is the Weapon bloom.

See? you DON'T know what's vertical recoil.

PS: the video do go against what i've been saying but it's the video who shows more clearly the vertical and what's horizontal recoil.

PS2: he doesn't show real mid range neither mid range, the distance he showed was early mid range at the best, that's why this "tutorial" is hardly acceptable to mid/long range.
  4. Caydn

You can have my saw hardly used as its a piece of junk
  5. Fenrisk

Vertical recoil goes up (not to the right) and is far better to keep on target as human beings tend to taller then they are wide and it draws your fire into a head shot.

Horizontal recoil is to the right or left. Considering we don't have fat players in the game it's harder to keep on your target as bullets fly to the left or the right of the player model. (at least until SOE adds supersize NC Armour)
  6. {joer

Everyone who has every played all three factions for any amount of time, with a little bit of skill, knew the SAW was the best overall LMG. I've stated MANY times I'd trade every TR LMG I payed cash for, for the stock SAW.
    • Up x 1
  7. EnviousCipher

If you're using a CARV instead of a MSW-R, you're doing it wrong.
    • Up x 1
  8. Prince Planet

Yes and I gave the OP a TsUp for going to the trouble.
  9. Plompkin

It's a strange comparison overall because the starting LMGs seem to have different roles.
    Gauss SAW = TMG-50 = Flare/Ursa
    Orion = MSW-R = GD-22S

But the closest thing the CARV resembles is the EM1 but with crappier reload speed. It just seems rather silly to me because the CARV was the first weapon I got Auraxium with and it's all around just a damn good weapon. Perhaps buff the reload speed to make it into that weapon archetype or make it more clearly comparable with something else.
  10. EnviousCipher

So like, the CARV no longer has side/side recoil on the test server.
  11. Xind

And the MSW-R, too!!!??!??!!one!!??questionmark!?
  12. Jogido

Sorry but your analysis is a bit off. Granted it is more of a preference thing , but for those that know how to use it, it's pretty good.

It really is mainly a side grade. If you are willing to sacrifice some dmg for better RoF, Reloadspeed but want the same feel of the SAW, then this might work for some people. And I can tell you it does do better close range with the RoF. I've used this gun for 1500+ kills so I speak from experience.
  13. EnviousCipher

Nope, just the CARV, actually making it useful now.
  14. Xind

Which makes the Carv totally superior to the MSW-R. >_< These people are terrible at "side grades."
  15. EnviousCipher

What? No, it just has monster vertical recoil, more than the SAW. I'd still use the MSW-R simply because of that adv laser sight.
  16. Xind

I've come to the point of gameplay where I feel like if you're using a laser sight of any type you should be using a shotgun. The only exception being an inf with an SMG because you always have the drop on your opponent if played correctly. The over saturation of PAs has made me remove/replace every laser sight on every weapon in my arsenal because there just doesn't feel like a point to them anymore.
  17. Epic High Five

I feel like I need to clear up some misconceptions re: the SAW. As the OP states, it's the best LMG in the game, no doubt. This is a tad disingenuous though because it's actually the best GUN in the game. It pounds like the fist of a thunder god when fired with an enloudener (compensator) and does one single thing well: put things that hit hard into people.

It does not hand hold or forgive, it's too worried about being incredible. Once you learn to work WITH the beast instead of trying to control it, it blossoms. The EM6 is Just Another Machine Gun and it's pretty underwhelming once you put enough time in with the SAW. In fact, every other LMG feels like a pea shooter when you learn to put shots on target with a SAW. This "REAL NC HA use the EM6" nonsense may be true for some, but it's not for all.

Take noted handsome guy, me, for example: https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428021759059989185/weapons
    Or noted badass Periphery: https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010618039277041/weapons
    Or all these other high ranking NC:
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010618037565025/weapons
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010618030932545/weapons

A lot of high ranking NC who didn't get there in a vehicle or a MAX suit got there with the SAW.

It's not the best for CQC, but if you keep moving and stick it into the person's gut with your shield up you'll win most of the time hipfiring. Take a step or two back and you'll miss every shot. Generally I use my SAW everywhere and when CQC comes up, I just stay still, ADS, and aim for the head after popping my shield. The SAW is a gun that rewards good aim, and SEVERELY punishes movement. If you're a TRUE NC FREEDOM-LOVING PATRIOT you've got a Jackhammer for 0-20m (as well as your WHISTLING FREEDOM ROCKETS and Golden Gun because capitalism) so if you're understandably having trouble with the SAW at close range use that.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the SAW totally ruins you to other guns once you really get used to it. Everything else is peashooters and it takes FOREVER to kill anyone. I'll probably never aurax another gun now because I keep going back to the SAW after a couple dozen kills. That's the REAL downside of the SAW, and you wont find it on any stat sheets NERDS.

Oh, and the reason no NC uses the SAW S isn't that it's a bad gun, it's because there's no point between the EM6 and SAW. It's not a bad gun, as is evident by how successful other factions are with their SAW S approximations: the Flare and TMG-50.
    • Up x 2
  18. hansgrosse

This.
  19. Imperium Assault

Nice work OP, what I've long stated, but I've not bothered myself with the VS who have been more interested in crying over a fantasy than over the even bleaker truth
  20. HellionX

and math class...... You theory side folks are mind numbingly boring. Go find the cure for something mathelites an leave me alone.