First infiltrator:sniper or smg?EMP grenades or decoy grenades?etc

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Navoletti, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Granderil

Don't underestimate decoy grenades. It's a good choice if u know how to use it.
    Escaping: throw grenade and run in opposite direction.
    Bait: throw it and kill all who comes to check the sound.
    This 'joke' saved my life hundreds of times.
  2. Zerran

Incorrect on both points I'm afraid.

Sniper rifle damage does degrade over distance, it just has a better drop-off than most weapons.

Also, fairly certain Nano 5 gives you 1250 total health, not 1125. It buffs both shields and health, not just health. With that you are immune to OHK headshots from the 800 damage snipers from 75m onwards. With nano 3 you're immune from 100m onwards. (obv with any class aside from infil, as infils have 900 total base health. 500 health + 400 shields)

The upgraded rifles are better for the fact that they OHK headshot at farther range. The lower damage rifles are vastly better for getting bodyshots, as you can make more shots faster. Though frankly ALL bolt action rifles are atrocious for body shots; if you're in a situation you can't get headshots, you're much better off with a semi-auto.

Also, pretty sure all VS snipers have bullet drop. At least I know the Bolt Actions do.
  3. TeknoBug

Although running over mines is annoying, I went with nanoweave because infil has a lower health pool than the rest of the classes. I roll with the scout auto or SMG and very rarely ever the sniper rifle but I do it when I know I have a good hiding spot to pick off attackers.

The scout semi is marginally better than the battle rifle, everyone knows how bad the BR's are. The full auto scout is weak because of its low magazine size and early damage dropoff, but I use it effectively, however the SMG is just significantly better than the scout auto.
  4. m44v

I understand, but still I would rather rely in frag or emp nades than on the stupidity of the opponent.
  5. Navoletti

well people i check with the trial of parallax but really i fail in this class....all time other sniper kill me or i fail the shot in the heads of enemy....really you need hit in the head only for kill the enemy with 1 shot?is very hard...

i need more recomendations and concept people of this class.what tips i need?

sorry for my english.

what smg recomend?
  6. Zerran

For making more accurate shots:

1. Learn bullet drop. Make practice shots and see how far your round drops over certain distances. This is absolutely vital for a sniper.

2. Learn bullet travel time. Just make mental notes of how long it takes for your round to reach its destination at different ranges.

3. Do NOT try to shoot a moving target. The chance that you will kill them is very low, and you will be giving up your position.

4. Take your time. Don't fire until you have a nice shot lined up. Firing can easily give away your position, and if you only damage someone it's like poking a bear. They will come looking for you, and chances are they will know where you are.

For positioning:

1. ALWAYS stay with most of your body in cover. The less visible you are, the harder you are to find, and therefore the harder you are to kill.

2. Keep you cloak on at all times unless right before making a shot, or if you are totally behind cover. When it runs out, drop back behind cover for it to recharge.

3. Immediately after firing, cloak and move into cover. Your shots are very loud, and very visible, so after you fire people are going to be looking for you. If they don't immediately see you, chances are they'll give up pretty fast.

4. If you hit someone, but fail to kill them, MOVE. Do not stay in that same location, because chances are very high that person is going to come looking for you.

5. Don't stay in one spot for very long. The longer you stay in one spot, the higher the chance someone is going to come looking for you, or another sniper will start hunting you.

Also if you weren't aware, holding down SHIFT while zoomed in will steady your aim for a moment.
  7. Astraka

I find it ironic that you don't want the ineptitude of your opponent to determine your success yet you primarily play the Infiltrator. ;)
    • Up x 3
  8. m44v

touché
    • Up x 4
  9. Rift23

Ghost/Phantom have less sway (but still there) and you get to use the iron sights or 2x-4x scopes. Scout rifles have no sway and a couple are automatic, but tickle people compared to assault rifles/carbines).

Basically, SOE wants you to pay for a close-range rifle instead of being able to get that for free by simply downgrading or removing the scope like BF3 allowed you to do (you only got sway on a gun after a certain zoom level).
  10. OldMaster80

They could be useful, but 1) they're bugged and red dots do not appear on the map 2) they cost 150-200 certs + 50 resources which is actually too much for a grenade that is very situational.
    EMP grenades are more interesting in large team battles, if you throw them in the middle of enemy infantry they cause a lot of havok and help the squad to get more kills.

Before changing grenades, buy the anti-infantry landmines. They're a good investment.
  11. Kupcake

Well, I looked into what you're saying.

You're right about damage falloff at range. I never noticed it before because most of my kills at extreme range were headshots. Also, these numbers do not appear to be listed in the game files themselves, at least not under the same category, which makes sniper rifles the only infantry weapon for which they're not. Most weapons with damage degradation have a min and max damage listed.

But I tested it a bit, using body shots against VR dummies, with a waypoint on top of the dummy to mark range. From what I can tell, damage fall-off ends at 250 meters, at which point you're dealing slightly less than 500 damage (using an 800 damage rifle). I'd have better numbers, but screenshots are broken for me again, so I can't use pixel counts for precision (yeah, I've taken them before and know how, they somehow broke it again). Also, the headshot multiplier for sniper rifles appear to be slightly over 2x, since a headshot is still a ohko at max range, even when it takes 3 body shots. This is all assuming no nano.

Nano is a bit of a moot point, though. To start with, I'm pretty sure nano only affects health. That's the broad consensus of players atm, anyway. At extreme ranges, you should be relying on head shots for most of your kills, and the vast majority of players are running flak armor nowadays. The frustration many players have towards tanks, ESF's, libs, and explosives in general has become a boon for snipers.

As for bullet drop, _almost_ all sniper rifles have it.

The Spectre is actually unique, though, in how it works. VS semis have no bullet-drop. To compensate for this, they have greater damage degradation (250 min vs 334) and slightly lower projectile speeds (500 vs 550). This includes two weapons: the Phantom and Spectre. The Phantom, however, is not really that viable. It cannot equip more powerful scopes (4x at most), and it only has a 5/35 ammunition pool, like most sniper rifles. The Spectre, though, the VS starting rifle, can equip all sniper scopes (up to 12x), and it has 10/60 ammunition pool. And you can still kill people with two successive headshots. If you have very good timing, you can land both shots while holding your breath once, before the target really reacts.
  12. Zerran

On Nano being health only you're correct, that was my mistake.

I wouldn't say it's a total moot point, though it is quite rare to actually run into someone with upgraded nano. Always annoying to get a nice headshot just to have them duck back behind cover though. :mad:

And thanks for the info on the Spectre. I've only played VS as far as playing around with some of their weapons in the VR room.
  13. Chris Bingley

Vanu Sniper rifles still have bullet drop, which is why the Vanu advantage is so useless. Bullet drop only matters when you're sniping.

Having started a TR character, yes, I was wrong TR do only start with a semi-suto sniper rifle.
  14. Manetheren

Vanu only have bullet drop on bolt actions, not on semi autos o_O
  15. Manetheren

You use decoy nades? Would you recommend them over EMP's? :eek:
  16. Rigsta

Decoy grenades: They're pretty lacklustre. The noise they make is a standard carbine/rifle/LMG noise in short bursts. I've been able to use them on my sniper loadout to distract the LAs who always seem to come looking for me, but if it's true that they're bugged and don't actually ping the minimap then that probably explains why not many people fall for them.

This trick has proven to be amusing when it worked :
    1. Get spotted while sniping, see LA approaching.
    2. Plant prox mine, cloak up and move.
    3. If someone starts looking around my previous spot, throw decoy grenade on top of prox mine.
    But they need to make a noise that matches your primary weapon and ping the minimap to really be useful.
    It can mount 1-4x optics rather than 6-12x - that's the only difference last time I checked.

Same deal with the Ghost & XM98. Side note, I <3 the Ghost with a suppressor and 4x chevron optics.
  17. Nargot

Have a question too..

i bought Bouncing Betty yesterday and recognized that some guys survive it and some dont. As far as i can say some ppl die even if they have 100% Life ( Near Spawnroom etc.). For myself i find myself dying by running into a proximity mine (Nanoweave II currently ... -.-). Can someone tell me at which level i can survive a mine as infiltrator?

I´d love to see a link how i can get the information by myself too! :)
  18. Booface

TR semi-auto is actually good (if you like semi-autos). The reason the VS semi-auto is inferior (except for folks who are too lazy to compensate for drop) is that the damage degradation is so severe that you soon finding yourself taking 3 headshots to kill. At long range against high Nanoweave, 4 headshots. At anything but short range (where bullet drop doesn't matter), it's basically a paintball gun.
    • Up x 1
  19. Booface

I started surviving mines when I hit nanoweave 4, as long as I didn't step directly on top of them. If the really bother you so much, though, switch to flak armor (protects from explosions).
    • Up x 1
  20. Booface

I know it's not in the Excel spreadsheet, but bolt actions still have damage degradation. It just didn't get listed for some reason, like a few other statistics. You only notice it at very long range, but anybody who's sniped for a while can tell you that bolt actions do not always kill in one headshot. I've tested it myself. The extra damage on the Parallax gives you a bit more yardage before your headshots stop being one hit kills, but even it doesn't guarantee a kill if you're, say, shooting at someone at Ceres (or some parts of TI Alloys) from The Crown. As more people get the certs for Nanoweave 5, you'll start seeing it happen more often. Luckily enough people still buy Flak that you can usually count on it being the exception rather than the rule.