Replacing K/D with SPM? Don't make me laugh

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jrv, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Sinist

SPM is a broken stat ever since they changed the XP rate you get for killing vehicles and other players.

You now earn more points killing vehicles then you do capturing or defending territory. You get more points killing a lightning then you do an Extreme Menace.

Had I started playing in the last few months my SPM would be double or triple what it is now.
  2. Fenrisk

See this thread?

This is why K/D ratio needs to go. All you get is a bunch of trolls asking "Let me see your stats so i can find some way to insult you" or "look at you gun stats' you play easy mode weapons/classes 90% of your play time".

The general argument for keeping K/D tends to come from lib gunners/maxes/ESF pilots who whip out their E-peens thinking everyone should bow down to their opinions. Right..... If this game was Farmvillside 2.
    • Up x 4
  3. Roarboar

KDR is the only thing you can work toward in this game. It is really what motivates me to log in. Without KDR, there is nothing to work toward, and no more reason to login.

Dont be fooled, the only reason some people might want to see kdr removed, is that their own kdr is terrible.
  4. Paperlamp

I'd prefer to keep my forum identity separate but since I don't play much anymore so frack it, no one will remember probably anyway:

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428053362635893297

3 isn't anything amazing and yeah my most used weapon is a sniper rifle - just adds to my case really. But just as some proof that you can think K/D is meaningless out of context and even has a negative impact on the game while still having a non-terrible one. I'm not a good player, maybe better than average but there are players with lower KD who are significantly better than me.
  5. Sebyos

I would gladly use score per minute if it wasn't pay to win and if K/D was removed.
  6. Alesteex

You play this game for a number? Seriously? You don't play to have fun?
    • Up x 1
  7. Badname0192

Hate to break it to you, but you're wrong on the whole reason k/d should be removed.

That being said, there's plenty of k/d only games, they're just not as fun as this one..nor really as easy given the short ttk. It's like playing hard core mode all the time + you can farm and do the same thing repeatedly if you find clusters of newbs.
  8. Paperlamp

AFKing in spawn/at warpgate? Long sunderer rides? Waiting for squad/platoon galaxies to fill? Playing during less active hours?

etc. etc. Horrible stat to try to judge players by.
    • Up x 1
  9. CoffeeBreak

Personally, I like that so many stats are tracked in the game. They're just numbers and only have as much importance as you give them. I play 98% infantry. KDR is pretty meaningless because if combines everything for the entire existance of your character, but I do like my session KD. I like seeing that when I just played for two hours that I have a 15:1 kd because I was able to stay alive and kill the enemy while in combat(not sitting in a spawn room).

If someone wants to use stats to judge themself or someone else they can use anything. How about just total kills/total time played. Maybe someone has 14000 kills with 10 days played and someone else has 20000 kills with 8 days played. Who is better?

Maybe overall accuracy. Take two players with 95% time played as a HA. One has 40% accuracy and the other is 14%. Is the one with 40% better? Maybe he only uses shotguns and the one with 14% uses a lot of suppressive fire in open areas.

As long as there are stats the epeeners will use whatever they think is most impressive to compare.
  10. bobzebrick

ITT : Bullied kids whipping out their epeen... cause you gotta be superior somewhere, right?

K/D Is pointless, the people who have really high ones are attached to their Lib, ESF or Max by an umbilical cord. The most important things in this game like suicide Sundy take-outs, breaking the enemy front line, defending a base when heavily outnumbered (waiting for reinforcements) induce a low K/D. That doesn't make the guy who always does that worse than a lib gunner, far from it actually.
    • Up x 1
  11. daicon

Do you really think that if they removed KDR from stat profiles, SOE wouldn't have access to that info themselves? All that will change is it might be harder for people to claim and shame against others for being good.

Except the #1 ranked player in the world has been saying that KDR needs to go since tech test. Many of the people I see wanting it gone have great KDRs, and conversely I've seen plenty of bad KDR individuals defending it.
  12. Rift23

But without KDR I'll never have the last word in a FPS forum!:(
  13. Tnsr

Probably another attempt of SOE to lure players into a membership so their SPM gets better.
  14. CoffeeBreak

I don't blame him. Once you get to a certain point it is almost impossible to improve it. If you have 100k kills and 25k deaths you're pretty much stuck 4 KDR. It causes jealousy when they see people with 7 kdr who start working their kdr earlier.

I'm half joking but I can understand why people don't like it. Say you put a ton of time into one character. Get to BR100 and have 40k kills and 40k deaths. You could be 10 times better now than when all those deaths added up 1000 hours ago, but you are pretty much stuck with a permanent 1 KDR. Your average play session could be 12:1 but you have that crappy stat on your char that jerks will judge you by.

So even though I like it as personal incentive to complete the same goals while avoiding death I can see why so many people hate that it's even there.
    • Up x 1
  15. Mambakiller

If they take kd away i quit
  16. bobzebrick

Good... maybe then we could get a half decent game that didn't pander to the "have their cake and eat it" generation.
    • Up x 1
  17. Kociboss

Source? Are they actually planning on removing K/D?
  18. Zenith

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  19. Posse

And who cares if some stat is used in A FORUM to criticize another one? ffs...

And no, the OP is mainly a HA user as it clearly shows in his stats, if he didn't use the MAX his K/D would probably be around 0.3 lower, which still is a pretty good K/D of around 2.4.
  20. BengalTiger

Mine doesn't often wait till the enemy base gets captured, we just move on to get to the next one before the spawn camped defenders figure they need to fall back because the spawn is now a restricted area.
    Makes Blitzkrieg a lot easier.

Anyways, people farming XP will get the highest ranks with score/minute, and those actually embracing the suck and pushing the frontline forwards might fall behind just like they might fall behind in the current K/D statistic.