SOE, You are losing us by the hundreds and I understand a few stay.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Duke, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jex =TE=

State of PS2 for me right now: I rarely log in and gave up buying SC months ago. Had SOE been honest and charged less, they would have got more money from me but I can tell you one thing, when one guy models a weapon and they add in some code and charge $7 you can count me out.

What's that saying; "A fool and his money are easily parted"
    • Up x 1
  2. Duvenel

Dunno if you were playing at release but there were actual queues to play, so they added more servers. I was also there for all of the, PS2 is going to fail because they merged the servers stuff, so if you really want a detailed analysis of the why's on the server merges take a look at the forum history. The problem was they just added too many servers after the initial release hype settled down. I don't think anyone expected those initial numbers to stay that high?
  3. Chinchy

It sounds like you had some serious cooling problems with your desktop, no game can overtake the fan/liquid that's cooling your system during normal Operation, on top of that if you were using Intel, which I'm assuming your using AMD, you have many heat safeties that prevent catastrophic meltdowns.
    • Up x 1
  4. NoctD

I would think only a fool can't recognize that the game is in a pretty bad state - bugs galore, battle flow issues, lack of a truly compelling metagame, grind grind grind.

Those that stay still find enough left to try and ignore the many flaws in PS2, but I doubt if anyone can see the game through rose colored glasses without it looking at least somewhat ugly.

The development points to more revenue generating interest than actually fixing the game itself. The Harasser and MAX changes coming soon are being done because they are going to pull in the big dollars. The lattice which is likely going to be a failure meantime is slowly taking shape. The development team prefers form over substance, selling people on OP cool looking stuffs is what brings in the bacon for them.
  5. Kookamunga

I still have fun blowing stuff up!!
  6. Jex =TE=

Pretty soon after I think, I was never in the beta but I was playing before Christmas with my friends (around 15 of us) then I think it was GU2 that killed it. Now they never log on and I never remember queuing once to get on any game so I can't say what the numbers are or where the game is headed and frankly, I don't care any longer. I gave SOE money to support the game, they could have had more from me but I'm not the market they're after. Maybe in 3 - 6 months it might hold an interest for me but right now the only fun i get is in my Sky Guard but after 3 days of that it's getting tiresome again.

I'm not sure it's necessarily PS2 though. I played Delta Force and Delta Force 2 religiously and that wasn't much different than PS2. I'm older now and also played FPS's for well over 10 years. Maybe now I want something more out of a game. I also never played PS1 so idk what the gameplay was like on that. I would like to play it, hoping it comes out in May like SOE said it would so I can try it. Obviously the community wants the one with the better gameplay.
  7. Duvenel

My friends were the same, I invited them to play around the same time as your friends and they don't play anymore. But PS2 and in a way PS1 will always be a niche game, and SOE will obviously want to have the highest audience possible. I guess sacrifices have to be made to cater to different people.

Also I'm curious as to what you mean by the one with better gameplay?
  8. Zcuron

Which part died?
  9. Madmojo

Fathom
  10. Wobberjockey

im going to guess either the processor or the cooler itself, which is the fault of the part, NOT PS2. (seriously, both the intel burn test/LINPAC and Prime95 got my CPU hotter than PS2 EVER reaches)

the server mergers were SORELY needed. been playing on waterson since the get go.

until the merges EVERY NIGHT the TR had 50% server pop, thanks to it being where TB played. and it was just no fun. you avoided TB and BRIT because you would lose. not because they were good, but because they would literally throw hundreds of bodies at you until you had to reload. and then you would die. you would destroy 1 sundy? 2 would deploy to replace it.

atleast now the NC have enough men to stand up to the TR on waterson... the VS well we're still lucky to see 25%+ most days, but atleast we have a chance now that someone can stand up to the red tidal wave (TB's departure helped as well)
  11. MarlboroMan-E

Well, if the game is dying, I'll be there when they close the servers. Of course lots of people left, they didn't have to pay $50 to try it. Shut this one down, Radar, reading it was 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
  12. Jex =TE=

Well play is a hard to define metric but I think an obvious one. We can all name a few games that we consider where great games, that we can speak of fondly and often kept us up hours and hours - games like Civilisation for example. So if we were to take both games and play them for a week, at the end of that week we should be able to tell which game has the better game play and maybe that's the model to adopt. It's never going to happen but if PS1 goes F2P (Higby actually stated they might not release it now because "nobody is playing it" or some BS - Duh it's a $15 a month sub, who the hell is going to pay for it now? That's like saying nobody wants to sleep with women because these fat ugly hookers I own and charge a million bucks for aren't getting any so obviously nobody wants to have sex. Well when you set up your own argument like that you're always going to be right). So anyway I'm eager to see what it plays like tbh - the graphics aren't that bad either.
  13. Zcuron

I don't know what PS2 could possibly do to cause hardware failure, everything that comes to mind is the fault of something else~~
  14. Eugenitor

No game, by itself, can cause hardware failure. Even if it maxes out your CPU and GPU, your computer should be able to survive it.

While the OP isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, there are a lot of reasons why this game doesn't keep new players, especially now with all the high BRs running around.

How the hell does a BR1 stand a remote chance against someone with maxed nanoweave and a OHK PA? Or lolpods? Or hackMAXes? "How do I get a gun like THAT? Oh. I have to either get a ridiculous amount of certs or pay for it. I see what this game is about now. Bye."

As weapons get more and more imbalanced (gotta give people a reason to buy them!), the game becomes less and less newbie-friendly.

And then you have the zero render distance zergfests...
  15. Goden

"I don't agree with what this poster is saying, so close his thread down"

Sorry it doesn't work like that. Not even SOE moderation stoops to your low level..

Funny that. One of my Steam friends saw me playing PS2 and he decided to install it and play with me. He played for roughly 40 minutes before asking about all the gear everyone is using that he doesn't have access to. I told him how to reach the Depot so he can buy stuff with money or certs. He saw the prices, sent me a bunch of "lol wtf" comments on Steam Chat, and then uninstalled the game and hasn't touched it since.

Can't really blame him either. If you want to enjoy PS2 with all the gear you would like to be using then it gets quite expensive. And the guns don't even have unique models or sounds either.
    • Up x 1
  16. Jex =TE=

IDK, how does a BR1 stand a rem.... oh that wasn't a joke right? lol

Why don't you give it a go - I was going to make a new character and just play everything stock and see how I get on lol
  17. {joer

They listen to whining, thats as big a sin as not listening at all.
  18. Kujo

You're just flat out wrong in saying this, and this has been proven wrong time and time again. Even now. You don't have to have been playing PS2 a long time to see it, but I have been playing PS2 since the Technical Test and I've seen this game change in many many ways purely based on community feedback. Even now, there are big changes up on the test server that came from strong campaigning from the community. Things hat SOE said in the past that they were pretty sure they weren't going to do for PS2. Hell, this game's development priorities are largely based on feedback from the roadmap for the next several months. So the fact that you make such a claim as this is just ridiculous.

Yeah, just like in that 9 year time span between PS1 and PS2, right? While PS2 is far from perfect and there are a number of things about it that I'm unhappy with, overall I love this game. However I wouldn't mind a little healthy competition in the genre. So I wish I could say you're right that another company will emerge with a good true MMOFPS of their own....but so far it's been close to a decade with no takers other than SOE themselves. Not even news of a company even working on it, aside from a vague rumor that Blizzard's "Titan" project might be an MMOFPS, but that's hardly verifiable at this point. And it's under Activision's label? Ha! Good luck with it being free to play and not being nickel and dimed for every little shred of content.

You make that sound like a bad thing. I think that's a lot of its appeal. While I would certainly welcome more depth in PS2, as someone who's played a lot of MMORPG's where if you're not putting in a ton of time, you're falling behind everyone else, I welcome a game like PS2 that I can enjoy as much or as little as I want without feeling like I'm obligated to log in more to enjoy it better.

I always thought they opened too many servers to begin with. Myself and my entire outfit were surprised to see how many servers were up on launch day.

While it's true that there are many bugs in the game, it would help if you pointed out which ones specifically are having such a big effect on this game. I don't mean the minor ones that any game like this will always have. As for them improving the general flow of combat, I believe that's their current major project on the test server at this very moment. An idea campaigned for by the community no less. Whether or not you agree with it currently, it's proof that they are working to try to improve the flow of combat.

Okay then. Why are you here in this forum? What's the purpose of this thread? You didn't even address the specific issues you have with this game. Your entire OP is very very vague. If it's your last effort at trying to help SOE improve the game, it's a very weak effort.

You say you're an intellectual, but you just sound like a bully here.
  19. Eugenitor

Actually, if it was a joke, the punchline would be "hacking". Imagine being twelve years old, playing this new F2P game you just found on Steam, and getting instantly wtfpwned by things you can't have. It took so long to download the game, and now you can't even play it, because every time you try, a weapon that you have no match for tears you to pieces. You shoot them, and they don't die. They shoot you once, and your character does that annoying fall-over thing and you respawn.. again, and again, and again.

What happens next? Ragequits, most of the time. But some do Google searches. The Pirate Bay. Aimbots. They don't even care if they get banned, because they stopped taking the game seriously after being farmed by overwhelming force several times in a row.

Sure, that's cheating, but what do you expect? They're just answering unfair advantages with unfair advantages.
    • Up x 1
  20. Izriul

I always kinda liked Sony. I hated Activision and absolutely despise everything EA, but since PS2 SoE have quickly become close to EA's standards in my book. They are greedy and pure money hogs. I remember the days when games were actually made by gamers and publishers had more of a goal than make as much money with as little work as possible. You can see how companies drastically change in quality, Blizzard for example, made some pure quality games. Diablo 2 was ahead of it's time, Diablo 3 may have better graphics, and it may be similar to D2, but the diablo series is a ******* 15 year old game, you'd think they'd evolve. That said, Sc2 is a very good game.

In before "but business!" Yeah, keep on giving them excuses for them. It's because of "players" like that games devolve rather than evolve. Moronic children with no value of currency due to mummy and daddies plastic buying whatever crap is given to them. I can afford anything I want, but I don't want to throw money at ****, I certainly don't want to give them a pat on the back for handing me ****.

I miss the days where love was thrown into the mix on creating a game. Where developers listened to their community (ON OFFICIAL ******* FORUMS) but stood their ground when it came to balancing on THEIR game.

If I could be bothered to turn my PS3 on I'd like to try dust 514 since I love EvE (There's a game made by gamers), but I'm really not a console player.
    • Up x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.