So SMG on LA?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by DerpMode, Apr 24, 2013.

1. DerpMode

Currently i really love the Sirius (not sure if this is the exact name and my work internet is so **** i can't imagine anyone else felling my pain of downloading stuff with 15 kb :( ) but i am not sure if it would be a good decision to slap on the smg on my LA, spend certs (well mostly time) on getting all the goodie attachments and eventually leaning that i was just a waste.

So here i am asking the more seasoned players about this. How does it fair within the 0-50m range? Is SPA worth it? Or is it just a niche situation weapon? Also adv laser or forward grip (edit: i generally hate hip fire but then again i can reach a compromise if the ADS is to lackluster)?
  2. Mrasap

The Serpent and VX6-7 are better in CQC compared to the SMG. Buy it for your infiltrator.
  3. ladiesop

The 2nd wave SMGs have larger magazines and smaller hipfire bloom than CQC Carbines. These features can help more than slightly faster kill times.
  4. ShumaKun

I use adv laser and nv scope for LA. I find that in 50m range you only need hipfire, full auto in CQB and bursts for medium, extra movment speed when you hipfire helps dodge shots in medium range. I only use scope when there is smoke or I need to kill guy in the back from 20-30m. Personally I don't use suppressor and SPA when I play LA, because of slow bullet velocity.
    Still I think Serpent is your best all around option for LA
  5. vaxx

I don't see any reason to use a SMG over a Carbine for the LA class. Some people might, but I cant.
  6. Torok

7. Stargazer86

SMG's are in an awkward position for Light Assaults. For close range, shotguns are superior, hands down. For medium to longer ranges, carbines are an excellent choice and can, as well, be perfectly serviceable in CQC depending on which you get.

However, I do enjoy some of the benefits that the SMG's have, namely the faster reload rate and larger clip size. In CQC, reload speed matters quite a bit, which could result in the difference between a kill and a bullet to the face while you're fiddling with magazines.

All in all, I'd say that if you plan on playing both Infil and LA, get an SMG. If you don't expect to be playing an Infiltrator, depending on your playstyle, a carbine might be a better choice since it gives you a broader range of options, but don't discount the SMG if you prefer something more akin to a bullethose. Try it out in the VR, trial it, and see which you'd feel you'd like a bit more.
    • Up x 2
  8. Kronic

For anyone that's VS or NC, the SMGs are decent options but TR versions suck ***. I wouldn't recommend them at all. I only own the Hailstorm so I can reliably engage in CQC for for my Infiltrator without having to use dem 1337 skills to quickscope with the freaking TSAR-42.
  9. Hypest

My recommended LA CQC full auto weapons are:

terrans: Jaguar (carbine)
    vanus: VX6-7 (carbine)
    nc: Blitz (carbine)

So if you are playing the purple faction the black faction i wouldn't bother buying a SMG for my light assault.
  10. vaxx

Shouldn't Blitz be (SMG) not carbine?

Also for CQC I would recommend Lynx over the Jag.
  11. MorganM

I wouldn't... Lynx pulls to the side... Jag only has vertical recoil so you don't have to waste your rail slot on a forward grip.

With my LA I find the Hailstorm is OK. In close range I wish I had my Uppercut... on the outskirts of medium range and into long rangeI wish I had a good carbine... So I take the Hailstorm SMG and half the time I'm thinking "Wish I had my Uppercut"... switch to the Uppercut and half the time I'm thinking "wish I had a carbine"... so I switch to carbine.... repeat.

It's just really hard to anticipate what you'll need in the next engagement. I often feel like I bring the wrong gun to a fight and die in a second ... maybe two. I'll get gunned down by shot guns a few times and think "FINE ILL SWITCH TO SHOTGUN" and then everyone I run into is 25 to 100m away... so I switch to SMG thinking "OK now I'm ready for both!" and again just get owned by someone with the right gun for whatever situation I engaged them in.
  12. FatherVanu

I would say just find your play style I like to use shotguns along with most people but if you like carbines or smg's go for it just find how you like to play light assault
  13. vaxx

Jag has horizontal recoil, unbalanced side to side. Lynx has a pull to the right. You said for CQC, where you would more likely be using an adv. laser sight, not a forward grip. Not that any recoil is hard to control in CQC, but the 50 more rate of fire on the Lynx sure does make a difference.
  14. UnDeaD_CyBorG

I personally love the Sirius.
    But between requiring an S weapon for Sunderer runs, and preferring Shotguns of any variety for CQC, I don't use it on LA.
    The Sirius is inarguably a great weapon, though, has a TR feel to it (at least, that's what I imagine TR should feel, high fire rate).
    The Serpent wipes the floor with any SMG for raw DPS, and most other weapons, for that matter, but a high magazine size, fast reload, and the option to use it on Infiltrators, which I bought it for, certainly are strong points.
    Scout Rifles work now, though, so it's not as necessary there, either.
    VS weapons often have lower projectile velocity or similar drawbacks for no bullet drop, for our SMGs it's a higher horizontal recoil.
    Still, it's decent up to midrange, the Sirius has the fastest projectile speed of all smgs, it can even be used with a suppressor with little trouble.
    It might be subjective as the actual accuracy is better, but the aim sure seems to wobble and tremble more while flying with an SMG than doing the same with a Shotgun or Carbine.
  15. Batisat

SMGs are great for spraying, it's alot more fun as you can be more aggressive towards the enemy and rain bullets on them but if you play TR, their Carbines are much better as they can reach out longer
  16. Hypest

That's right, Blitz is a SMG, a NC SMG since they don't have a nice accurate hipfire carbine, altho the GD-7F can definetaly mow down enemies, i prefer accuracy over theoretical DPS. That is the same reason i like the Jag more than the Lynx. The even horizontal recoil pattern is just a bonus, because i prefer that on ranges below 30-40 meters.
    • Up x 1
  17. PS2Freak

"The even horizontal recoil pattern is just a bonus, because i prefer that on ranges below 30-40 meters."

exactly what i think.. this left-right recoil is actually benefit for cqc/adadad situations..
  18. Kuriby

If are you like myself, and hate ADS because you come from REAL MANLY FPS games... then buy an smg. Never scope again.
  19. MorganM

That even, horizontal, recoil on the Jag is SO insignificant that I wouldn't even count it as recoil. Compared to how hard the Lynx pulls to the right; it doesn't matter to me what distance your target is. MUCH easier to compensate for the Jag's recoil than the Lynx.
  20. vaxx

In SMG ranges I agree, the effect of recoil on either is insignificant. At longer ranges, *I* like the predictable recoil of the Lynx....because I can control that, and put more bullets on target. With the Jag you cannot control the horizontal, and end up wasting more bullets. At longer ranges, the uneven horizontal is much more apparent to me.

Close range (SMG ranges) *I* would rather use a faster RoF weapon, in this case the Lynx over the Jag, since if you are hip firing or even ADS in such short range, you will rarely be bursting.