Why so low playerbase?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Remzsz, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MasterChiefette

Because once people realized that PS2 is only a quarter the game PS1 was they left.
  2. spiderfly

Merging would be really useful, now all servers show ow and theres nothing to do around, 1-2 EU and american server would be nice after merging
  3. DaninTexas

I don't play as much as I used to for one reason really

TTK

It is way to short. For everything. It doesn't allow for true strategy on a small or large scale. Pull a tank - you can die in under 2 seconds to air. Pull a HA - even with max nano weave and shields on - get dropped in about 2-3 shots from an automatic shotty before you have a chance to react.

TTK is what keeps me from playing alot and really will prevent me from spending another $500 on this game.

Will I continue playing? Of course - Will I continue buying SC for stuff? On unique weapons from time to time maybe. But I won't play or spend as much cash as I have in the past.
    • Up x 1
  4. Badname0192

Every other update a faction or class gets screwed due to whining on the various forums by stupid people who cannot accept a challenge or something different thrown their way, so they cry. DEVS read, hurr durr derp a durr..and then it's terrible, so people leave.

Also some find the game too hard in any case.
    • Up x 1
  5. ent|ty

• Up x 1
  6. bobzebrick

Probably because it means they will be cutting back / closing servers earlier than expected.
  7. Zcuron

8. ent|ty

Technically, if you or I spent more on PS2 (through microtransactions and subs), amounting to more than the usual shellout $60 or so... SOE could tell us to fly off a cliff, and they still made money...

I'm up to about $160 now, with subs. So if I stopped playing now (which I'm close to anyway), they're still collecting on the 9 months of sub I paid for and laughing all the way to the bank.

But they'll never even come close to the popularity of Counterstrike, which even after 12+ years, still kicks their ***.
  9. Vertabrae

Why can't people simply leave old threads dead and buried.

You go an reply to a post made on Jan 14th and act like it was made yesterday. Learn to read the dates on the threads please.
    • Up x 6
  10. AirSuicide

Low server pop is caused by:

1. SOE's No caring Stance and complete denial of the issue of Hackers, Some hackers are still around that were here in beta and are still hacking to this day.

2. SOE's policy on "Common Pool" weapons and vehicles. Without unique factional twists to every single weapon and vehicle, especially the main ones used such as Gals, Sundies, Libs etc... You lack immersion and gameplay, not to mention the confusion causes friendly fire and bad tactical judgement, Making the game not very fun, an eyesore,a nd completely boring after a month or so. Players see this and see it for what it is, a cheap way to add content, a lazy way, for a lazy company that wants to make money, rather then a quality game which they don't seem to understand would make them MORE money in the long run.

3. Lets face it, the only real interaction between players and Dev's is the HR community people, that hot sexy Storm chick and her cohost and the other 4 which I rarely see anymore. Dev's never post on the forums, only forum mods, Devs do not seem to care about player desires or wants or even willing to discuss why they do something, Even if an Idea is wholly desired or rejected by the community, It is still Implemented (if the community was rejecting it), Or ignored (If it was requested) for the most part.

4. SOE's general unprofessional attitude tword it's customers, they do not seem to understand that just because you say please and thank you does not make you a professional looking company. No professional companies interact with their players continuously, their devs have a face in the community, and the GM's and admins are known in the game itself. If their is a hacker they are banned within a reasonable amount of time, if there are bugs they are fixed as soon as humanly possible and continual updates from devs on the bug threads are posted to let players know that they are in fact working on it and not simply ignoring them.

5. Perception is everything, and players are perceiving SOE as a company that steals their money while providing cheap content and ignoring sever and major game killing issues. SOE has this track record with every single game they have ever developed or purchased. They will come into other games, buy them out and then against the entire player bases desires change key aspects of the game and then wonder why 99.9% of the population leaves.

This game could be the greatest FPS ever... IF SOE wasn't the owner of it.
    • Up x 3
  11. Ash87

On a less serious note, is it bad that Avenged Sevenfold turned me AWAY from COD?
  12. Advanced Darkness

This is great. ive seen this and read this all before. I guess i'm gonna see it again. This is that galaxy far far away "mmo - lol" all over again.

People hide their heads in the sand refusing to believe the obvious, then servers merge, and they somehow have some insider information as to why servers were merged that had nothing to do with population..when thats exactly what servers merging means.

It literally took many yrs for servers to be merged in PS1. These new games are going for a guinness world record releasing, merging and folding.
  13. DaninTexas

To be fair - the way they have set it up - They could put everyone on one server with out much trouble. At the very very possible worst - we have a single server.... we would need around 3k people to play this game to still make it viable on a single server. That will not be an issue I think. We will always have at least enough for a single server.
  14. {joer

Steam give a good sample size that can be properly interpreted as lowered player base. If 40k are playing it one month, and 10k the next, it doesn't mean PS2 has 10k players, but it indicates a strong over all decline.
  15. Aegie

IMO, I have to agree with another poster who mentioned that upon release aircraft were practically breaking the game.

Personally, I had several friends who I coaxed into playing during that time and not one of them plays with any regularity (read: far less than an hour a week). I remember two weeks when I had them all on 4-5 times for a little while but each time the game was sitting in a small room so we did not get instagibbed by air. Yes, we would pull air to try to counter but since none of us had many certs at the time we would be dispatched relatively quickly and back on the ground with out pathetic launchers just struggling to make a game out it. Honestly, I was almost embarrassed to keep asking them to play and trying to convince them that SOE would have to do something soon and the game really had potential.

I am certain there are other factors involved but to me it seems that a F2P game that releases just before the holidays really has to make a good first impression if it wants to retain many of those players in the long run. Unfortunately, when PS2 released it was still a little beta and since air power was laughably unbalanced it hardly played like a game at all. Recovering from such a terrible starting state is far more difficult than sustaining an initially large and enthusiastic player base.
  16. Shinrah

Surely, you jest? Or are you perhaps insinuating that the sky is not falling, Sir? I would like to have factual evidence provided, before I can believe such presumptuous predications.
  17. Torok

i never knew about this game until the very day it came out nor i knew about planetside 1, and i would've never thought this game would be so awesome, not to mention how much better is becoming one game update after another one :D
    it's just one hell of a hard game for new players, a tutorial would help, then massive pubblicity on pcgamer/rps, magazines like that and maybe hand over a few $$ to steam again to put it back in the frontline and i guess the pop will rise again, but before we need Tutorials :)
  18. pnkdth

Mostly it comes down to people not playing as much as they used to. Happends with most games, it just get more obvious in a PVP only sandbox, especially if you log on during off hours. If this is your issue, I recommend joining a proper outfit who doesn't back down from a fight. In DWG we tend to provoke the other factions and make them bleed for as long as we can. It inevitably leads to use fighting horribly outnumbred but that's all a part of the fun. You don't get good by picking easy fights.

In other words, it is a PVP sandbox, and it depends on the community. It is just a shame the mods seem hellbent on shutting it down before it can evolve. EQ1 is easily the best community I ever was a part of, and would you look at that game... Still going, with the 17th expansions right around the corner.

So yeah, if you want a healthy sandbox and esports. You let the community thrive.
  19. TwistaX

Lack of content = low player base.

We dont need cosmetics, we need more continents and content.

Bring back the jackhammer.
  20. Nocturnal7x

idk. Cod turned me away from cod. And I haven;t really cared about avenged since Waking the Fallen. And even less since their drummer died. I was always pissed they chose to go a more rock route vs their original pantera inspired route.

and also, till smh about the "hype" thing. This game was about as hyped walmart brand cereal.