Bad FPS on a good computer

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Bard, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Bard

I know everyone who enters this thread expects a conroe with a gtx 260 or something, so these are my specs:

windows 7 64bit ultimate
    2600k @ 4.4ghz @ 55ish degrees C while playing planetside
    msi 660ti pe @ 1254 core & 7220 (effective) memory @ 55-65 C while in game
    8x2(16GB) ddr3 1866 CAS 9
    the weakest link in the chain is probably the hard drive the game is on, which is just a 1tb 7200 WD black, separate from the OS drive

In big zergs I get 25-30fps. 40ish in a small-medium bridge fight, 50-60 in an empty-ish amp station, 90-110 in a light activity sanc.

I currently have my settings on medium with particles, shadows, and lighting on low. At times I've tried having things like quality and textures on ultra, and only a couple things like shadows and particles on low, that doesn't seem to change my fps much, if at all. With the medium settings i'm always cpu limited, even in sanc. This has been pretty close to what my performance has been like since release.

I'm only posting this thread because I have friends with very similar builds who get significantly better fps than me.

One machine is a stock 2600k with a stock gtx 560 and 8GB of 1600. Running around in the same fights, looking at the same thing, he doesn't drop below 50fps, and usually stays closer to 60 (he has vsync on). My other friend has a stock 3770k and a gtx 680 with 16GB of 1600, and he gets 40+fps in situations where I'm getting 28-30. Now, ivy bridge might be faster clock for clock than sandybridge, but my cpu is running at a much higher clock speed....and even if there is some big advantage to ivy, the first system is a step down from mine in all regards, and gets vastly better frames than either of us. The medium settings that I'm using are the same that he uses, the only difference being that he has shadows off. I've tried turning shadows off, but it only seems to add 1-2fps.

Besides messing with settings in game, I've updated to the most recent video card drivers (and I'm using the stock settings in the drivers, as is my friend with great performance). I've deleted the ini within the last few days. I haven't re-installed, but I guess I can if that would actually help anything (I used the file verifier on the launcher and that said everything is fine).

Please let me know if there's some obvious thing I haven't tried.
  2. Aircrafter991

hey man,

first of all: my rig is not even close to yours. my rig is just beyond bad.

phenom II x4 945 3.0ghz
    sapphire hd6850 1gb ddr5
    8 gig corsair vengance

listen,

i have constant 100 fps in the warpgate, 50-80 medium to large fights and never below 40 in HUGE zergs which is still really playable.
    many of you guys are complaining about fps drops and that amd runs bad etc.

but im gonna show you now how step- to step improving your fps;

- first of all you want to clean your computer, uninstall unnecessary software etc. just clean it.

- now you wanna go ahead and defrag your harddrive ( please not your ssd if u have one )

- now you want to install http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and solve every problem. just start and clean your registry from not used data etc.

- after that you want to unpark your cores. i know i5-i7 won't have a huge boost but i did and it will maybe help you too
    how this works : http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility
    at the bottom is the link to download the application. run it and unpark all your cores by simply press check status - unpark cores

---------------------------------
    RESTART YOUR PC
    ---------------------------------
    - now you want to install razer gamebooster, i know it sounds pretty dumb but it really helps a bit.
    http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster install and start it, make sure it will always be up if u want to play. just go ingame and the booster will be self-enabled.

- if u have done this, go into your useroptions.ini

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=1
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=2000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=100
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=0
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=2
    TerrainQuality=1
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=1
    ParticleLOD=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VerticalFOV=64
    these are my settings. feel free to change some but i would recommend to not change following:
    - higher render distance
    - higher maximum fps ( unless you run 120 hertz => 120 fps max )
    - NO SHADOWS (IMPORTANT!)
    - no flora
    also i wouldn't put everything on ultra now, just wait untill soe has finished their performance optimization.
    i hope i could help with that, if you have any questions or whatever, feel free to ask.
    cheers
    PS.: for all other players with rigs like mine :
    DO NOT TURN UR GRAPHICS TOO LOW. you have to make sure your gfx card has also something to do which can be only the case if you set the textures and graphics quality medium-high! this is by far the most important thing!
  3. Torok

hey there! i take the chance of this thread to aks you something, about the CPU core parking, i own Windows 8, and i've read everywhere that such utility is for users of windows 7 only, should i run it on my windows 8 or it's already done by default?

if you know anything ^^ thanks
  4. Bard

For the sake of being thorough, I followed your instructions exactly. Although I had tried some of those things before, I did it all again, as you said. It had no effect that I can tell, beyond perhaps getting higher fps in sanc. In a fairly modestly sized amp station fight, 60-75 people in/around the base, I got 30-40fps while looking at the fight. Thank you for your suggestions, I was due for a defrag anyway, so there's that.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
  5. TheTreeness

6. Fantom_17

Are you mainly CPU or GPU limited? and are you ever limited by the opposite?
  7. Bard

The only time I'm gpu limited is in a very low activity area, when I have things like quality, textures, models, etc set high or ultra. But I also have the default ini fps limit, and when you are at that limit, it says cpu limited. So, I guess the tldr answer would be: in sanc i'm gpu limited.
  8. Bard

9. Fantom_17

Oh, this might already have been done but set maxfps limit to 60 (its set to 250 for some crazy reason)
    and turn render quality down to 50 0r 75 and see what fps you get (prerferably 75) 100 rendering tanks my system. for some reason the rendering quality hits the CPU really had.
  10. TheTreeness

Observe your multiplier while your CPU is under load. See if its downclocking when its under load.
  11. Sliced

By any chance do you have your GPU OCed?
    My GPU is stable at 888Mhz but if I lower my clock to 875 then I get better FPS. (Stock 752)
    Give that a shot. Put your GPU back to stock.
  12. Dragam

You forget to tell us your exact game settings, which we basically need to know, if we are to help you.
  13. Willowthorn

Ill give u a pro tip: Quit playing until they fix gu7 because its not on ur end. Tons of people are having horrible fps and nothing fixes it. The game is broken. Cancel any membership you have and play some other game.
  14. plat0nic

the same could be said for GU6, GU5, GU4, GU3, GU2 and GU1. This game is built on top of an engine that was built from spare parts of another engine that is outdated and was never meant to do any of the things they are trying to make it do currently. The bottom line is that PS2 isn't using your hardware to it's fullest because it doesn't know what to do with your hardware. The underlying tech that powers Forgelight was created before your hardware was even dreamt up.
    • Up x 2
  15. DaNDeStRoYeR

I have to agree with plat0nic on this topic about the Engine been terrible, but also I have lost around 10fps since GU07.

My settings are all on low as if I turn them up my game becomes GPU dependant and I get fps lag like hell.

We either have to put up with it or quit the game till they can actually optimize it.
  16. warmachine1

Disabling shadows brings a lot of FPS, but it can have "tactical consequences"
  17. Bard

Just to update you guys a bit:

Firstly, I didn't list my settings because I've tried a range of settings, and nothing seemed to help. Next, what did help a tiny bit is turning up all the settings that are more geared towards GPU, and turning down all the settings that are more based on CPU. I think I ran into trouble in the first place because I wanted to turn the Graphics Quality setting to medium to get rid of the obnoxious bloom. I ended up with lighting, graphics quality, and textures on ultra...flora off, and most of the other things on medium or low. Still, I'm currently dropping to 35ish fps in a big zerg, so the improvement wasn't big. Turning shadows from low to off seems to give me maybe 1-2fps more in a zerg, but that's not really worth it to me. The fact that the game isn't utilizing CPU or GPU anywhere near 100% makes me wonder if there is just some latency bottleneck somewhere with ram maybe.

Like I said though, my friend doesn't drop below 50fps with a stock 2600k, stock gtx 560, and stock 2x4gb 1600....so maybe I just need to downgrade a bit.