Which attachements should I get for the default VS carbine?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Captain Kid, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Captain Kid

I apologize for longer playing players but there doesn't seem to be a forum spot for newbie questions.
    Right now I have a scope and forward grip attached to my VS default carbine and have saved up 100 cert points.

Since I play almost exclusively Light Assault and Engineer I want to spec out the default carbine. (1000 certs for a new weapon is a LONG way off)
    Which attachments should I get?

I've been doing some googling and it seems some attachments are better then others on some weapons and the description is kind of useless. I've read the forward grip for example isn't needed because the weapon has no horizontal spread.?

Bonus question:
    I have to log in every time I visit the forum and Firefox doesn't appear to save a cookie for the forum.
    Known bug?
  2. Tobax

I'm not sure on the options for the default VS carbine as don't play them much.. but for me I nearly always get:
    Reflex sight 1or2
    Compensator
    Forgrip
    High velocity ammo

but I am a ADS user so depends if you do too or hipfire, if you hipfire then laser over forgrip.
  3. Captain Kid

Actually I haven't made up my mind about hipfiring or not.
    Right now I have a 4x scope for longer ranges so I need to use hipfire at close range.
    But the weapon is reasonable useless at longer range so I might get a reflex scope for close range and be even more useless outside between bases.
  4. COMMANDER K33N

Reflex x2 is good for both CQC and mid to standoff ranges. Hipfiring will suit a laser dot, ADS suits a grip, especially with the recoil pattern on the VS carbines. 4x scopes are pretty useless on a weapon designed for mid range combat.
  5. Fenrys

It pulls slightly to the right.

Experiment in VR.
    Try a 2x Reflex optic, Laser Dot rail, and Flash Suppressor barrel for the Engineer loadout.
    And a 3.4x Holographic Dot optic, Forward Grip rail, and Suppressor for the Light Assault.

The 3.4x is a little more agile than the 4x, and a little less useless up close. Holo Dot v. Chevron optics is personal preference. I use Holo for automatics and Chevron for bolt-actions.
  6. Captain Kid

Okay I will check out the 2x reflex scope on the virtual training.
    One of the reason I choose the 4x scope because it has a very clear sight, just a very tin cross hair with only two lines coverging in the middle.
  7. Fenrys

Yeah, I like the simple crosshair on the OG 4x also, and wish that design came in 3.4x magnification. #feedbackfordevs
  8. Captain Kid

Shouldn't the light assault be more for closer range then the engineer?
    I find myself using the Light assault sometimes getting close to the enemy (inside a base's compound but still outside) without being spotted and then getting the drop on them and get the frick out of there again.
  9. ReconMarauder

I have been using the Pulsar C and the VX6-7, for >25M and <15M, respectively, but I recently went back to the Solstice because it is generally more useful at long range than the VX6-7, and much better at hipfire than the Pulsar C due to the higher rate of fire. I personally use the laser sight for the attachment because I shoot while flying every time it's practical, and I straight up need the laser sight for that. Plus, the foregrip is kind of a waste on this weapon, because the recoil is so easy to compensate for once you learn it (up and to the right, fire a clip at a wall and don't compensate the recoil to get an idea of what you should be doing). Without the foregrip, you can still kill at ~100 meters in about half a clip, so it's certainly not necessary. Basically, on this gun, for both Light Assault and Engineer, the laser sight lets you do things you otherwise couldn't, and the foregrip makes things a little bit easier.

My advice for you as a beginner would be to upgrade your jump jets to level 4 or 5 first thing. They're extremely useful, and if you can get the hang of shooting while flying, and learn to keep agile with them, you will be very well off.

I also recommend that you refer to this stat sheet often. You'll get a good understanding of how the weapons in this game work, and what you'll want to do the them customization-wise, after a couple of minutes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&type=view&gid=12
    It is updated every patch.

-Edit- I wouldn't recommend anything above the HPR 1X sight unless you need the extra zoom to compensate for a low definition monitor. I use the HPR 1X on the Pulsar C and at 200 meters reliably kill in about 18-23 shots on a moving target. Don't limit your adaptability by plastering a telescope to the top of your gun.
    • Up x 1
  10. NikkoJT

Assuming similarity to the NC default carbine (shouldn't be too different), I'd build two loadouts.
    CQC: 2x reflex, foregrip, suppressor
    Ranged: 4x scope of your choice, laser sight, *barrel of your choice, I'd pick compensator*

The logic is that with the reflex, you'll be ADS all the time regardless of range, so the laser sight won't help, but the foregrip gives some effectiveness at range. With the 4x, ADS won't help if you do get into CQC, but the laser sight will let you hipfire a bit more effectively.
  11. Fenrys

If that's how you use LA, then a 2x and Laser makes sense. You'll probably want to pick up an SMG or shotgun someday.

The way I play LA is to stay up high and shoot down at people. Also, even without a Laser, hipfire is surprisingly accurate for the initial burst.
  12. Duvenel

Not having a "newbie section" in the forums or in-game newb chat channel is probably one of my biggest pet peeves. But that aside think others have covered your question about attachments pretty well so I don't have much to contribute to that. About the having to log in everytime though, it's a known "issue", it's intended as far as I'm aware(remember reading some dev talk about it). Also it probably wont be going away anytime soon due to some reason I can't quite remember off hand, but the dev said that if you leave a window/tab open in the forums it shouldn't log you out any longer after a set period of time.
  13. Captain Kid

Thanks everybody.
    I just got from the training facility.
    It's actually not as daunting as I thought.

-Scope.
    I decided, for now, I'm sticking with the x4 clear scope. The X2 reflex has a good reticule as well but it's not good enough at somewhat longer ranges.
    -Barrel.
    No compensator option for the default weapon so only suppressor and flash suppressor.
    I might give the flash suppressor a try but need more info on this first.
    -Rail.
    I already sadly bought the forward grip because after testing it doesn't do ANYTHING on the default VS weapon at least.
    At least I saw no difference on target dummy's at 30 meters distance.The weapon on auto pulls to the right with the grip on and off.
    I decided to get the laser. Which I think compensates nicely for the X4 scope so I can hip fire at ranges I don't feel comfortable using the x4 scope. (I'm probably wrong on this)
    -Ammo
    No ammo choices for the default weapon.

Short version:
    X4 clear scope and laser for now while I try to get more info on the flash suppressor. I will be using this set up both for Engineer and Light assault trooper, I think it's best I don't mix my weapons up to much this early in the game.
  14. gigastar

Flash surpressor is only really useful at night, and the Solstice doesnt really have all that much flash anyway.
  15. Fenrys

Consider adjusting your scoped mouse sensitivity. The 4x is slow, and you might benefit from turning sensitivity up a little.
  16. Captain Kid

CQC: 2x reflex, foregrip, suppressor.

Makes perfect sense to me. (if the grip would actually do anything)

Ranged: 4x scope of your choice, laser sight

It's what I have know but only because the grip doesn't seem to do anything on the default weapon.
    Otherwise I would choose the grip, less versatile but stronger in one area.
  17. Morpholine

On the barrel attachments:

The flash suppressor has minimal impact (both good and bad) on the weapon's firing characteristics. It's biggest benefit to the user is lowering the muzzle flash that can obscure targets when firing at night. It is, if anything, a "why not" attachment.

The Suppressor adds in the perk of not showing on the mini-map to enemies when firing (you still show if they have a radar source or you have been spotted) over the flash suppressor, at the cost of some bullet velocity (and added drop, if you're TR or NC). It's the attachment of choice for up close, sneaky work. I use them on my LA loadouts, personally.
  18. Captain Kid

alright, I'll do some training with the supressor.
    I don't like the idea showing up on radar every time I fire my weapon.

Is there a button to disable the laser, I thought I read there was.
  19. Morpholine

Hit "L". It's the same for laser dots, flashlights, and vehicle lights.

Edit: Turning the laser off does not remove the benefit having it equipped provides. It just gets rid of the visual effect.
  20. Captain Kid

Now that's a good tip!
    I assume the enemy can see your laser when activated?
    So they can see you coming around a corner..