Says the Chez: GU07 Weapon Tuning

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JGood, Apr 12, 2013.

1. TheBloodEagle

I have to call you out for being dense. Maybe you don't realize, as was pointed out already, that most effective infantry fights are at or below 70 meters. The bullets-to-kill are the same with the VS. This patch doesn't change that for you, it doesn't make it better off the bat. So currently you have a very slight edge that could help you with all the stuff I previously listed. You gained extra assists and effectiveness on folks with shields (recharging after low health), HA shields and nanoweave. I can't see how that doesn't translate into anything useful for you, especially when you would have the same Bullets-to-Kill on someone with 1000 life anyway but you gained on folks that had 1000+life (nanoweave), low health with recharged shield (50hp, 500 shield for example) or against HA overshields.

Example:

143 @ 10m starting damage; damage @ 50m
    TR: 129.9 per bullet @ 50m
    VS: 131.2 per bullet @ 50m

1000 HP/Sheild @ 50m
    TR: 7.69 bullets to kill
    VS: 7.62 bullets to kill

50 round magazine damage @ 50m
    TR: 6495
    VS: 6560

Lost nothing below 70m to do 65 more damage @ 50m, even more so if High Velocity was equipped and still have no bullet drop.

But as I mentioned, I don't play VS at all, so whether having a slight edge below 70 meters meant anything to you is up to the VS folks. But after this patch you gain better damage at long time, which could be a good thing overall for some playstyles especially because of no bullet drop. This just makes the factions further the same though and I've always thought of VS being the most unique.
  2. DeltaGun

I understood you perfectly the first time, and I'm going to have to call you out for BS. The extra point or two of damage we did at close range is completely, 100% worthless.

Furthermore, you trying to convince anyone otherwise is also 100% completely worthless because the Devs have already stated that they are definitely patching in the change.
    • Up x 1
  3. Turiel =RL=

Nerfing NC and then bringing TR/VS up to par. Sounds like sarcasm. So they already dominate mid- and longrange and will become better close range. Just a small question, but an important one: What about NC mid- and longrange AI MAX abilities? Are we designed to lose those battles also, just like ESF?
    • Up x 1
  4. Tiedemann

I love the idea of getting a usable warden :)
  5. Sieve

Falcons
    Or slugs, considering those are more accurate than the buggy VS MAX guns
  6. Tenhi

I know its marginal but that doesnt change the fact that the bonus is there. Also the main thing it does is change the range where you go from 7->8 bullets to kill (or 8->9) by a few meters. I did the math some time ago but cant find it right now. Comparing the Orion and Carv 9 it was something like a 3-5m difference (I think it was 31m vs 36m) where you need one more bullet.

The thing about long-range combat is that there is almost none. There are so few moments where I sat there and thought "If only I had no damage fall off". But that might be because I use the "high damage" VS weapons for long range things like the Pulsar C, Corvus etc.. They are a tier above the normal VS weapons (167 vs 143) so while they suffer the same fall off they drop to a level thats still "fine" at long range. They also bring all the long-range weapon traits... low RoF, low CoF, high damage.
  7. Alesteex

Actually, TR weapons do have a downside, 2 actually. Longer reloads and higher horizontal recoil. VS got two bonuses as well (not 1), faster reloads and no bullet drop. Now you'll have 1 less downside.
    • Up x 1
  8. KNFr-Rhe7oric

You know what, TR players? Go ahead and think that VS are getting nerfed with this patch. I'll await the incessant crying Forumside 2 players do when you realize you were wrong.
    • Up x 1
  9. TheBloodEagle

Nobody thinks they are getting truly nerfed. You skimmed the posts instead of properly reading.
  10. Elaqure

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but I'm worried about the scout rifle update. They seem to have an idea of what they'd like to do to battle rifles, but dance around the topic of exactly how they plan on making scout rifles a competitive medium range weapon.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just hoping the update will provide an update to scout rifles that everyone can be happy with.
  11. Flashtirade

Bullet velocity and first-shot recoil would be a good place to start. In addition, I'd personally like it if they raised the bullet damage and significantly lowered the rate of fire for the ASRs.
  12. Sian

No bullet drop only helped sniping. It's balanced by generally lower velocity from VS guns, but quick reloads, meanwhile TR have fire rate, low recoil and ammo capacity, and NC have power and accuracy.
  13. Kize

Power and accuracy? Clearly you haven't seen the recoil on NC weapons. Accuracy if you have 1 bullet every 4 seconds meanwhile TR have 1 bullet every 1/4th second for 100% accuracy and VS 100% accuracy with full auto 100% of the time (yes I have played Vanu for a long time and yes this is a true statement). I have a feeling you are trolling with statements like this.
  14. Sieve

There's a difference between accuracy and recoil you know
    Accuracy refers to the CoF of the weapon specifically, and cannot be compensated for unlike recoil (to a degree)
    • Up x 1
  15. MasterTater

Bullet drop does not exist since GU2 in 90% of firefights which are CQC to longrange =>
    VS dont have an empire specific advantage but already a massive dmg reduction starting at midrange, while
    • TR got biggest magazines, highest RoF, and almost constant dmg longrange
    • NC got the best dmg per shot 25% on almost all weapons with the least first dmg recoil multiplier.
    AND

most VS longrange weapons got Bulletdrop, while having to deal with a massive dmg reduction on longrange shots and overall the strongest first shot recoil on most infantry weapon equivalents.
  16. MasterTater

LOL VS/TR dominate longrange? - you made me LOL - while I considered that NC got the deadliest starter weapon ingame being point accurate on the first 2-3 shots with the least first shot recoil but 25% dmg advantage compared to TR/VS equivalents.

Check weapon Statstable before you post lies and BS to deceive readers.
  17. llPendragon

Bullet drop doesn't matter? Hmmm.

I suggest you go to the VR and get a NC SMG. The Blitz preferably. Put on a silencer and soft point ammo and the bullets should be traveling slow enough you can watch the arc. It should be readily apparent the bullet drop is problematic, even drastic, well into the normal combat ranges.
  18. Sian

SMGs aren't made for normal combat ranges, they're made for those ranges where a shotgun won't instagib but you want to out-shoot a carbine.
    Are you saying that the bullet drop can't be easily compensated for at typical SMG ranges?
    • Up x 1
  19. llPendragon

I'm saying that you are incorrect.
    Bullet drop is a factor at relevant ranges and has a negative affect on aiming.
  20. WalrusJones

SMG's are typically made for indoor combat, and usually have an ideal range well below 50 meters, paticularly where rifle rounds would over-penetrate the enviroment, and risk harming civilains/allied soldiers through a wall. (Albeit, modern SMG's have pushed their maximum ranges to surprisingly high levels.)

Carbines are simply short rifles, which generally weigh less, and are shorter. They are not ideal in indoor combat, but are several times preferable to carrying a rifle inside.

SBR's, (Short barreled rifles) with a barrel length of roughly 6 inches are progressively phasing out SMG's in most modern military's, because of just how superior rifle rounds are to pistol rounds in SMG's (Which can become equally subsonic and heavy, and thus, equally not sociopathic to fire in urban environments.)
    These are basically carbines of carbines.

In game logic, SMG's get beaten out at all ranges by specialized CQC carbines (And rifles.)

There is no foundation in realism, or in game mechanics, to suggest that SMG's are meant to be long/medium range weapons, Or even supposed to outshoot carbines.