Some notes on today's cert grants

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a n00b too

Dear SOE,

I know you don't really care but I'm going to say it any way.

I've put quite a lot of money into PS2. 6m subscription and SC. Comfortably more than any other game. My money I go out and earn at work.

I've put in 19 days of play (it comes out at more than 12 weeks at my basic working hours) and score of 4.7m which I guess is 18,664 certs. Earned through play.

And today many - very many - people are reporting having received tens of thousands of certs. Not just people in forums where you can't really tell the kind of proportions of people affected, but lots of people in outfit too. Even people who have never paid any real money into the game. The supposed 10k cert cap hasn't limited it because I have seen screenshots of people breaching it considerably.

People have been given enough certs to acquire everything I have paid considerable real money and time earning.And more. For nothing. Some will be using that gear to beat me in game.

Certs are also the only thing vaguely like a meta game or RPG element in this game. Its the addicting factor. Certs certs certs. Every unenjoyable moment, well at least I made some certs. Now that has been cheapened and any integrity destroyed. I checked my certs before logging out today, 128. Did I think "nice" as I would have yesterday? No, I thought "not 28,128 then" and sighed.

So, SOE, I just wanted you to know this is the time you really messed up. Disaster update after disaster update are quickly forgiven and more or less forgotten once fixed, but you cant fix this.

I''ll not be putting any more real money into this game. I have set reminders to cancel my sub and will not be buying any SC. I probably will not be feeling quite so tolerant when the next update is the inevitable omishambles like every update before it has been. I will no longer be recommending the game to my IRL and online friends, defending it on my various forums and newssites. Instead I'll probably be ******** about it, not out of spite or anything, its just that all my goodwill, all my positivity towards SOE and PS2, its just not there any more.

Yours,
    • Up x 16
  2. Custodes

... Considering cancelling my membership as well. I've paid quite a bit of money into Planetside 2. Really these broken updates are terrible and now just after this. Not worth spending hard earned money just to be slapped in the face in the end.
    • Up x 5
  3. Silver Pepper

Bought Zephyr on two liberators, yet didn't get any 'free' certs today. I am a sad cat.
  4. SgtCheese

Okay guys can you tell me if I am entitled to certs? I bought the engineer AV turret on two different characters, and I though I might get some certs today but I haven't. Am I entitled to some?
  5. KodiakX

I received 6700 odd certs today and it was unexpected. Advancement wise at BR 53 I already had most of the stuff I wanted/needed already unlocked so it was certainly nice but nothing I'm overly excited about. I got that during the endless amounts of double XP weekends. I am excited, however, I did get this on my alts which were much lower BR and now they have decent stuff unlocked.

If this was going to be a common occurance I would be upset, but since it's kinda a one time deal I'm not overly mad. Kinda a fine line because I was also pretty annoyed I had double purchased items as well and was wondering how I was going to be compensated for that. Certs were probably chosen beacuse someone upstairs at Sony didn't want to give a bunch of money back to people haha :)
  6. Wobberjockey

Ah the internet.

where else can you find people more openly jealous that someone else got something they didn't?

seriously. i have played 1 toon since beta. 1. one server, one faction, one avatar. i knew from the beginning i wasn't ever going to see any benefit from the account wide SC unlocks, nor was i going to see any recompense from buying stuff on multiple characters...

and yet i still can't understand why some of you are so bloody angry.

to begin with, it was stated that unlocks were per character. they made it per account due to popular request. they didn't have to, but we wanted it, so they did it

and then they (and we) realized that this slighted people who had bought the same item multiple times. and soe said "hold on, we'll see what we can do" those people had valid reason to feel slighted.

now that they have compensated this group, other people are now saying that this is grounds for them to leave?
    Really?
    how has SOE wronged you here? they could have avoided this whole mess by not saying yes to us in the first place, but they didn't.

the more that i think about this, the more it sounds like you people are just looking for a reason to be outraged on the internet, or more precisely, looking for an excuse to leave.

which, if that is truly the case, don't let the door hit you on the way out... but let me give you a peace of advice before you go: the world owes you nothing, and could not care less about what you think you deserve. learn to be happy with what you have and life gets MUCH easier... besides carrying around all that anger at a video game, of all things, isn't healthy.
    • Up x 4
  7. LowTechKiller

Seriously? I'd love to buy some Certs.
    Where do I find them for sale?
    • Up x 1
  8. Harkness

• Up x 5
  9. RaZz0R

I for one would like to thank you MR mh and the team for even doing this for us in the first place!

Keep up the great work guys!!
  10. Bucketnate

What?, you can also buy weapons. Even if you could buy certs, its not like free players can't get certs too.
  11. vulkkan

What if you purchased the same item in two different bundles? I got the LA composite helmet with the LA bundle, and then later bought the gear budle with all six composite helmets. Will I receive compensation or not? I didn't notice any.
  12. coupon

• Up x 3
  13. DayBreak998

[IMG]

$$$ now sets you on an elevator to OPness
    • Up x 4
  14. Yenaru

SOE, you do realize that with this error you gave out more than 100.000 certs to some accounts that have not spent a cent in PS2? That's among the biggest forthcoming examples, but generally people have been getting thousands more certs than was intended.

Across all servers, accounts and characters, that is millions upon millions of free certs you just handed out, that will then not be spent on Station Cash.

Personally I think your bosses will hand you your ***** when they get word of this, and you will do a roll-back, apologize and grant everyone a small compensation of certifications.
    • Up x 4
  15. serith78

I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. Refunding the SC would have been easier from a player viewpoint but have way bigger implications from a business viewpoint, and I"m definitely glad players who purchased duplicate items got compensated that was a good move on SOE's part. Lot of the anger here seems to be coming from people who farm certs just for the sake of farming them, I also seriously doubt that massive numbers of players were granted over 20k certs - that claim sounds like forum hype.

Also think that players who bought a single item then later on bought a bundle containing that item (eg buying a single weapon then buying a larger bundle containing that weapon later) account for quite a few of the "unexpected" certification grants.
    • Up x 1
  16. Baezl

Check this out, sorted by certs.
    http://i.imgur.com/OUjimdo.jpg

Oh and Higby said they might do this again. If you read what he wrote, it basically says they might or might not.
    • Up x 1
  17. MeowMix986367

Yeah, if they don't roll this back, I'm gone for good. They are giving some people over 100k certs. The game is totally busted right now, and it blows my mind they're on twitter asking people to come join test server. The servers should all be DOWN, and they should be ROLLING EVERYTHING BACK.
    • Up x 8
  18. Zerenous

There should be an immediate rollback, and instead refund the items based on station cash.

When you have a level 1 character that has over 179k certs due to an ERROR in the databases? That is unbelievably ridiculous, and whoever botched that should be fired. This is nothing less than a pay-to-win situation that has given the middle finger to the community.

SOE, I thought you were smarter than this.

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/JX84ggH.png

Seriously Sony, what the flipping ****. So people get to KEEP those free certs?

Nice to know that all our hard work amounts to nothing.
    • Up x 5
  19. Verbol

I have a max level subscription, easily a couple hundred in real money SC purchases, and I get nothing while people who didn't drop a dime are sitting on tens of thousands of certs. I can take bugs, I can take balance issues, but I can't take a game making me feel like an idiot for losing a lottery I never knew I was in. It's like an MMO just randomly bumping people to max level with full raid gear that most of the population spent months collecting. Someone being able to trivially max out all of those 1000 cert ranks definitely make a difference in gameplay. I can take losing out to some poopsocker that just ground out all of those certs, but people just getting it through dumb luck is unacceptable.
    • Up x 4
  20. NoctD

Higby - thanks for doing the right thing, this is both good for your business and the health of the game. There would be no game at all to play if Planetside 2 is not successful and generating revenue.

I have to say SOE has done a tremendous job at addressing cert gain... already in game its so different gaining certs from vehicle kills, depending on enemy threat levels, etc, plus the alert and ribbon XP bonuses. The game can be more play to win the fight/play for fun since the cert focus is lessened.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.