Well,which notebook is better in playing Planetside2 with the MSI GE60 or GX60?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by barryhuang, Apr 3, 2013.

1. barryhuang

i'm going to buy a notebook and i hope it can play Planetside2 well, but now i have got a diffcult choise between the MSI GX60 and GE60

the GE60 has the NVIDIA gtx660M and i7 3630QM

the GX60 has the AMD HD7970M and AMD A10 4600M

so i'm confused now ,if i choose the GE60 that i have to give up the best graphics card,and choose the GX60 i will
    lose the best CPU,i know it can't be perfect but i want to know which notebook is better in playing games and which

is better in running Planetside2. Please tell me and thanks a lot:)
  2. HerbertKnivez

Get the GE60, PlanetSide 2 doesn't play well with AMD.
    • Up x 1
  3. Alexlightning7

No, it can play fine with some desktop amd's, its just that every single one of amd's laptop processors, aside from those competing with intel atoms(in which amd is miles ahead of intel) are horrible.

That quad core amd A10-4600M at 3.2 Ghz is equal to the power of a Intel i3-2310m dual core @ 2.1 Ghz. its an embarresment.
    Now since many games are easily playable on an i3 that laptop might be a good deal depending on what your gonna play, howver, planetside 2 is definitly not one of those games.

You are not going to get good performance in planetside 2 or any other CPU demanding game out of that processor.
    I really wish MSI would offer that laptop with an intel i5 or something similar and cheap, which would have made it a must buy, but instead the crippled it with a POS processor.

I would go for the first one, however, it might be best to know what you are willing to spend on it. around the price of that GX60 is when you start finding laptops with 670m(although the 7970m is almost twice the performance) and decent intel processors, so it may be worth posting a budget.
  4. barryhuang

thanks for your suggestion:).i asked my friends and they all said the A10 APU has hinder the HD 7970M.
    my budget is nearly 1300$,i can‘t find any better Configuration in this price of MSI, do you have anyother good suggestion?
  5. BlackDove

The Intel and Nvidia GTX 670MX or 680M would be really good.
  6. barryhuang

but thats too expensive, i just have only 1300$.i cant pay for more expensive
  7. BlackDove

8. XRIST0

Out of those 2 the GE60..

You will regret the day you buy the GX60 for planetside 2 , Great laptop but not for this game .
  9. barryhuang

OMG that sounds terrible.but i saw the video on youtube the Lenovo Y580 can run the MAX sitting in 25-35 FPS, i guess thats the same Configuration with GE60, so maybe there only a little difference. how about your testing result? please tell me ,thanks:)
  10. Bleak

same results with this laptop
    the bottleneck seems to be Even between the 660m and the cpu on high settings
    if you could get a better Cpu than the Lenovo Y580 id say do it, if you getting the computer for planetside 2
    Ati is good quality with desktop graphics HD 79XX series, idk about mobile. Benchmark sites
    Cpu is first for planetside always. The 660m can slow down on high so dont expect to much out of nvidia
  11. barryhuang

thanks for your suggestion :),but it will be too expensive after added the tax.i cant bear it.
  12. BlackDove

The reason is that the 660M is only 384 cores, which is much less than the 960 cores for the desktop 660. You won't be able to run the game on max settings with a mobile GPU less than the 670MX probably.
  13. Alexlightning7

Sager/Clevo
    Best laptops for the price, and in a year if you decide you want more power, spend 300$ on a new GPU or CPU and upgrade it yourself later like a desktop.
    Note: This will need to be configured by you(pick all the nessessary parts) so if you need help, ask.
    Clevo P150EM
    Also, if you have a laptot currently, I highly recommend you salvage some parts from it to keep the price down. RAM and HDD are most important, aswell as an OS. Have those, and this is easily in your price range. Also dropping a Optical drive or taking it from your current laptop can save you some money too.
    Dont have them and you might need to get a slightly weaker CPU.
    Default video card is a 670MX.

this laptop being in your price range entirely depends on what parts you have now. If that other one wasn't in your price range at only 100$ more, then assuming you need all the parts, this one definitly wont be unless you drop the cpu down alittle( not something you wanna do in planetside).

Configured with a
    670MX (slightly stronger then a normal 670M)
    i7-3630QM @ 3.4 Ghz (several weak CPUs that could save you 150$+, but this is the best price per performance regarding planetside 2. there are plenty more powerful ones to choose from if your willing to pay big money)
    8Gbs 1600 Mhz RAM (10$ more can be replaced with kingston, not sure if thats worth it, I would stick with 8Gbs though, not 4)
    No HDD (depending on what you want, 50-100$, maybe more. might be easier to find a deal outside of this site, search newgg for deals on laptop HDDs)
    No Optical drive (+30, maybe cheaper if you look at external places like newgg)
    Windows 7 home premium 64bit (100$, so if you have it or find it cheaper somewhere else, get it there)
    clevo oem (2x2) 802.11BGN + bluetooth
    1920x1080 glossy screen(+30$ and you can get a matte)
    all other things at default
  14. Alexlightning7

strange, wont let me edit posts.

link to laptop(cant believe I forgot

http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30113

final price, $1,364.00
    remember, no HDD included in that, so look around newgg for deals on parts. since this laptop is fully user upgradable like a desktop, there are alot more options to save money then most laptops.
  15. TheEvilBlight

There are a number of laptops running the i7-3630QM (even the Samsung gamer, and MSI laptops as you note).

Problem: Base clock 2.4, turbo on one core: 3.4 ghz. Use more than one core, it is 2.4 -> 3.0 ghz.

As PS2 is a CPU hungry hippo, you'll probably suffer.

I am keeping eyes peeled for a i7-3840QM (which is 2.8->3.8 on a single core). If you have rich blood, getting a custom gaming laptop from say, Xotic or whatever you can pay for a i7-3940XM, which is 3ghz - 3.9 turbo...closely matching desktop segment, but at a MSRP of ~1000 dollars.

Most of the "gaming laptops" belong to the GPU > CPU paradigm, which is why they use 3630QM's. You might find yourself a little unhappy on Matherson...
  16. Alexlightning7

Im running max settings on a overclocked 7690m XT (825 core, 875 memory) @ 1366x768. All settings maxed in the .ini except for shadows on low, never goes below 30 fps when not CPU bound. mine is roughly equivilent to a 640m. At 1080p I get around 20 fps+stutter from to much memory usage(uses tiny bit more then 1Gb of vRAM) so a desktop 640 GDDR5 2Gb/ 650m 2Gb should be able to run max, since the FPS difference between a 640m and a 650m is 10-20 fps in the majority of games( basing off benchmarks of other games at max or near max settings).

a 660m should handle it easily at above 35 fps at all times, assuming shadows are on low(which seems to have around a 10 fps difference on the GPU between high and low).

that said, I am incredibly confused now after looking at some benchmarks of the 670m and the 670MX. one has 384 core, the other has 960, both are clocked the same, yet in games, they perform almost identicly. certainly not the 3x increase that they should have.
    I may need to do some research on these new cards MX cards.

not quite the same as desktops. in the desktop war, amd has cleary won this round with nvidia. its not quite the same on laptops.
    the amd 7670m pretty much dominates the <650$ market, since its providing a very good price per performance card, but thats about it until you get to the fight between the 7970m and the 680m.
    Both sides can have great deals on their upper range cards(640m-660m, amd 7690m-7850m).

now the 7970m wins hands down against the 680m though. its better in around half the games and is 250$ cheaper.
  17. Alexlightning7

actually, I think its 3.4, 3.3, 3.2, 3.2, but ill have to double check. also dependent on heat.

Also, as you'll know, he will have the same problem as most people and have planetside 2 pound everything on 1 thread, so it shouldn't really effect anything.
  18. BlackDove

I can clarify all this. The desktop chips and laptop chips are labeled very differently.

There are several different desktop 640's. The important thing to look at is NOT the product name, but the actual GPU chip that it's using. In the case of cards labeled as 640's, they're using some which are GF chips from last generation, and GK chips from this generation.

The reason the 670M has fewer cores is because it's a GF chip from last generation, in which the cores ran at double the base clock. With the GK architecture chips, everything on the chip runs at the same speed, so you need 2X the number of cores to get the same FLOPS from it.

The 670MX uses the new GK chip, and has 960 cores. In order for it to outperform the 670M it would need at least 768(2x384) at the same clock frequency. Since it has 960, it outperforms the 670M proportionately.

The 640M is only 480 GFLOPS. The 650 ranges depending on the clock and GDDR3 vs GDDR5 memory, but the max is just under 700GFLOPS with GDDR5 memory. The 670M only comes with GDDR5 and is 800 GFLOPS. The 670MX also only comes with GDDR5 and is 1.15 TFLOPS.

I'm not quite sure what you mean that AMD has won, when Bulldozer is a failure compared to Sandy and Ivy Bridge, and their GPU's have had a lot of issues as well. Crossfire is broken completely, and gives you WORSE performance than a single GPU. And their GPU's consume significantly more power than Nvidia's, while not being significantly more powerful.

The only advantage AMD has right now is being cheaper, and they're not cheap enough to be attractive, when you can get something better from Intel and Nvidia for a little bit more money.
  19. TheEvilBlight

Use notebookcheck to review your laptop graphics cards and CPU's. Then contrast them to their desktop counterparts.
  20. TheEvilBlight

Be warned that the Clevo uses a mobile graphics card spec called MXM. You can't exactly pop down to Amazon and buy the newest and greatest MXM 3.0 card for your gaming laptop.