best vanu cqc weapon for heavy ( besides shotguns)

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by scratch12367, Apr 2, 2013.

1. scratch12367

hey since shotguns are getting nerfed what do you guys think is th ebest cqc weapon for vanu now as ha
  2. Mythicrose12

Patch notes don't sound too terrible. Expect the shotguns to still shine for close quarters. Someone did the maths in another thread. Pump shotgun will still be capable of OHK. Semi autos still capable of 2 hit kills. Slightly longer reload times on all. Slightly less damage on all shotguns using buck if pellets miss (ADADADADAD spammers rejoice and people over 12m).
  3. BassTape

VX29 Polaris. 100 round mag, laser sight, still good at taking down Med range with burst. It's what I use. Flare for everything else.
  4. Demyer

5. Posse

At CQC DPS is everything for me, so Orion (it's the only one I use be it close mid or long range anyway)
  6. Rudette

Orion is amazing! It's free and it's ADS is as agile as an SMG! Also gives you more reach than a shottie!
  7. Konfuzfanten

This...the shotguns are still better in pure CQC - nothing has really changed.
  8. sindz

Why anyone would ever recommend VX29 for anything, still amazes me. Its prob the most pointless gun in the entire game.

Lets compare Orion and VX29

I'll only list teh stats where they differ:

Orion:
    Rof: 750
    Lower COF on standing hipfire: 3
    ADS move speed multiplier: 0.75x
    First shot recoil: 2.15x
    recoil vertical: 0.4
    reload time: 2.8 short, 4.6 long.

VX29:
    ROF: 652.
    COF stand hip: 3.25
    ADS move: 0.5x
    First shot recoil: 2x
    recoil vertical: 0.3
    reload time: 4.185 short, 5.1 long.

So basiclly the orion beats the VX29 at every aspect regarding CQC, and orion is free. Don't ever buy the vx29, its pointless. The orion will mow people down and the lower mag size doesnt matter,since the short reload time is in carbine level still. And the orion will let you move while alot faster ADS'ing which ultimately will save your *** as you can cornerpeak, strafe etc and not die unlike the VX29.

isnt the VX29 1000 certs? I feel sorry for anyone who bought the VX29, please dont ever buy it-

Orion is the CQC king, Pulsar-LSW is the all around king, SVA-88 is more or like the same as LSW with more attachements and a bit harder to control. And long range Ursa and flare are king.
  9. pnkdth

I bought it. I have, at the time of writing, 968 kills with it. I regret nothing because;
    1. With SPA it has the same TTK as the Orion.
    2. 652RPM + its recoil pattern = a very accurate mid range weapon without a single attachment.
    3. 100 rounds + hipfire(and advanced laser sight is superior to the Orion) = profit.

I run this weapon with advanced laser sight, SPA, and whatever scope I need(usually IRNV or the 4x scope). The only reason I use the Flare, SVA-88, or the Orion at this point is to get medals on them. The reduction in flinch have reduced the importance of high ROF guns for CQC but a fair margin. Compared to the Pulsar LSW the Polaris is just plain better, which is why I only have 24 kills with it. If you fit the Polaris with a compensator and grip you get what probably is the most accurate LMGs in the game.

In other words, if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have bought any other weapon than the Polaris(since I got the SVA-88 with alpha squad). It really is a tactical weapon. It has to be said though, the stats on the Orion combined with the 0.75 movement mod is a very strong combination, and I can definitely see why you like this weapon a lot. It is a really good weapon.
  10. sindz

I wasn't really comparing the LSW so ill refrain from doing so. But if you look at the Orion it has faster TTK than the polaris (Stock). And if you fit SPA you have the same TTK as you said, no real advantage here. But if you fit SPA on polaris, it becomes worse than the Orion past 25-30 meters (I cant remember the exact range).
    And since you will have a laser sight on the Polaris, where as you will have the foregrip on the Orion, this will just add to the Orion of being better than the Polaris at ranges beyond where SPA are worth while. I just don't see the advantages of the Polaris being large enough to justify the hefty pricetag. And regarding flinchin reduction, its still enough to be a factor when facing very high ROF weapons or atleast in my opionion.
  11. Negator

You dont have the same TTK as the Orion because thats not how soft points work. Soft points are garbage in every application and you simply dont know any better. I have 8000 kills with all our LMGs except the Polaris, which i refuse to buy as its stats are inferior, and its VR performance is inferior.

I also don't understand how you call it accurate when you are sitting at 16% accuracy. I'm no pro, but im solid and my LMGs are at 22-25% accuracy.

Do some research on the Polaris, and on Soft Points so that you don't confuse new players. They are both garbage pieces of gear.
  12. Negator

Both garbage LMGs.
  13. Nenarch

Had to go shotgun to protect myself against other shotguns..

about 1/5 i'm using sva 88 anymore, as most fights are close combat as you can advance from cover to cover.
  14. pnkdth

"To clarify soft point ammo, it doesn't reduce your min damage. The only negative is a reduction in bullet speed. The positive is extended range before it takes one more bullet to kill (also slightly more damage at medium range, but the one less bullet to kill is the main feature). How far it extends that range is going to change based on the weapon." - Joshua(PS2 developer).

Extra damage and reduced velocity on a 625 velocity weapon won't hurt you are close to mid range. Raw DPS increase.

As for accuracy, well, I don't really care if I miss half of my bullets... I have 50 more. Suppressive fire is suprisingly effective in this game, with the TTK being so low and all. Also, 100 bullets = brilliant synergy with the concussion grenades and adrenaline shield.
  15. Veri

Right now I am using the Orion VS54 for CQC.
    All I use with it is a 1x reflex sight and noise suppressor.
    I generally use the Flare but it's just not a CQC LMG.

I would recommend the Pulsar LSW as well for CQC due to the mag size which I find lacking with the Orion, bare in mind it does have a slower reload time.
  16. Negator

Like i said, you need to go research the way soft points work (the dev didnt detail everything there), because they are ONLY a raw DPS increase at 10-15 meters, and at best only by a single bullet. It doesnt do squat at 0-10m, and makes you pretty terrible at anythign beyond medium range. Any velocity loss does hurt when you are dealing with latency and juking targets. This is why you are sitting at a very sub par 16% accuracy on your Polaris.

You should care if you miss half your bullets, because an opponent who isnt missing kills you first.

Concuss and a 100 round mag is nice, im sure.
  17. pnkdth

Some people can't even admit they're wrong despite being told by a dev, and then they have attempt to make it personal. Negator, welcome to ignore. <3
  18. Pie Chasm

Orion if you don't mind ADSing whenever possible.

Pulsar LSW If you want good hip-fire accuracy.
  19. Kupcake

People like the Polaris mostly because of its usability at medium and long range. It has 0.3 vert recoil and 0.2 horizontal, compared to most VS LMG's which have 0.4 or 0.45 vertical. The Orion fires 20% faster and has 25% more per-shot recoil, so its vertical recoil over time is 50% higher, which is very noticeable at range. You can also put both a compensator and foregrip on the Polaris. It's not hard to keep all or nearly all rounds on target at long range on automatic fire. 100 round magazine is also nice for certain engagements.

It does have weaknesses, of course. Nobody is disputing that. Lower RoF, thus higher TTK. It's also stuck at 0.5 ads move compared to 0.75 on either the Orion or 88. Plus the reload speeds are the worst of any VS LMG, to compensate for its large magazine, meaning once you are caught empty, the reload can often kill you.

I don't think it's as terrible as it's made out to be. It just has a specific niche. I personally think it's a very good LMG. The way I look at it, if you're HA and want to do CQC, your go-to weapon is probably still a shotgun, maybe even a SMG. Pumps still OHKO. The rest still have very low TTK, often instant on damaged targets. LMG's are best reserved for mixed-range engagements, I think. Like if you're fighting off a tank zerg on open terrain with the Lancer and also getting assaulted by enemy infantry, I'd honestly prefer the Polaris over the others, simply because it's very easy to put a lot of rounds on target regardless of the range.

And yeah, to clarify, neither ammo type reduces or buffs damage. Soft point just bumps up the max damage range to 15m. So you have an extra 5 meters of 7 bullets per kill instead of 8. The only downside is lower bullet speed. HVA extends your minimum damage range (damage falls off a little slower). Personally, I think HVA kind of kills itself, as its drawback is significant added recoil. At the ranges where it is supposedly useful, the added recoil probably makes you lose more damage than you gain.
    • Up x 1
  20. Negator

Its not personal, its pointing out facts. And the dev didnt elaborate on the details