Infiltrators versus Vehicles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Damianamaru, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Astraka

Please explain how an Infiltrator having manned vehicle hacking would make it 'stupid easy' for them to take out vehicles. Would it be 'stupid easy' because it would take 15+ seconds? Would it be 'stupid easy' because we have to be visible & relatively defenseless during the hack? Would it be 'stupid easy' because it would damn near require the pilot to be visually impaired?

The only thing 'stupid easy' about vehicle hacking is how easy it would be to thwart by someone with a modicum of situational awareness.
    • Up x 1
  2. OldMaster80

THIS. Medics, HA and LA shouldn't be able to deploy C4. That should be only stuff for Engineers and Infiltrators.
    This is imho a huge game design mistake devs did, and it's too late to fix it: they cannot remove ceritifications from some classes.
  3. Dcrd

It's not a team game. Prove me wrong.

And killing tanks with flash means that you already have to have a vehicle to destroy other vehicle. Might as wll get a magrider.
  4. Kroova

1. Every class (besides the Infiltrator) may have the ability, but it is only practical for Engineers and Heavy Assualts in 90% of situations with Light Assaults coming into play in congested areas where they can swoop down on their prey. Combat Medics have the ability to damage/destroy vehicles, but practically speaking it almost never happens.

2. Unless that one class is best suited for eliminating enemy threats to friendly vehicles. If the enemy is spamming Heavies/AV turrets than Infiltrator is my go-to class for supporting friendly armor which translates into destroying enemy armor. Currently both of the most effective infantry-based methods for destroying vehicles (the Engineer AV Turret and the Heavy Assault) are both heavily countered by sniping infiltrators.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ghostloadout

I was thinking a rather awesome ability for the infiltrator might be to have a "Deconstructor tool" that he/she launches at a mechanical object (vehicles, MAXes, termials, deployables, mines) and after a certain amount of time the object deconstructs itself (like how you were able to deconstruct a vehicle), by hacking into a mechanical objects mainframe circuitry, telling it to deconstruct itself. Depending on the current "advanced hacking tools" cert level, it will increase the speed at which the vehicle deconstructs itself, the deconstructor can be removed by holding the "interact" button for X amount of seconds, removing the deconstructor and sending it back to the infiltrator. This device does have infinite ammo, but there can only be one active at a time, attempting to launch a second one will destroy (in a little puff of nanites) the old one and send it back to the infiltrator, higher levels will increase the speed at which the darts can be restored in inventory and loaded into the weapon. While attached to an object the device would make a barely audible beeping noise to let you know there's one around. I think this also fits into the infiltrator's lore, as it quite literally "leaves no trace"

Cert Advancement

Advanced Hacking Tools 1-6
    Level 1 - 20 second deconstruct, 2.5 second disable
    Level 2 - 18 second deconstruct, 3 second disable
    Level 3 - 16 second deconstruct, 3.5 second disable
    Level 4 - 14 second deconstruct, 4 second disable
    Level 5 - 12 second deconstruct, 4.5 second disable
    Level 6 - 10 second deconstruct, 5 second disable

Deconstructor Tool 1-6
    Level 1 - 30 second reconstruct
    Level 2 - 27 second reconstruct
    Level 3 - 24 second reconstruct
    Level 4 - 21 second reconstruct
    Level 5 - 18 second reconstruct
    Level 6 - 15 second reconstruct
  6. o.Solei.o

I was operating under the assumption that for it to be implemented in PS2, it would be scaled to PS2 player-base expectations of "difficult" and "challenging", aka have few to none of those features. The amount of thought and tactics that go into a lot of the basic activities in PS2 are a lot more streamlined and CoD-scaled for accessibility and ease of use.

If you want to make it a challenge, it would be a lot more plausible. I'm not confident that the community at large would be ok with that though. The next big question though (other than a wildly unhappy infiltrator player-base) would be, when are you actually going to get to use this, then? If it is so easy to spot, who is going to actually fall prey to it? I know the typical answer to this type of question in FPS games is, "nubs" and "baddies", which in real-world terms usually translates to "someone having 2-20 seconds of frame-rate issues due to Forgelight being optimized for high-speed, single-core-CPUs, which most modern gaming rigs don't have". As much as people like to believe that when other players don't seem to see them walking right in front of their face that they are somehow being awesome and cunning, the sad truth is that it's usually somebody having a technical issue. (Don't tell all the kids on Youtube that though. You would crush so many dreams.)

In PS1 it was a challenge, but could happen. PS1 was a lot more sim-like than CoD-shooter-like though. It had a lot more emphasis on long-term planning and "no sh**, there I was..." stories than instant-gratification. A lot of things that flew in PS1, the current PS2 player-base couldn't handle. This is both a good and bad thing.
  7. Cybah

i dare you to pick up the sniper rifle on your heavy :) (if you could ofcourse)
    i guarantee that you will throw it in the garbage and go back to your LMG since it not only kills at any range, but kills faster than the sniper rifle. unless your +500 meters or something. (i really need to figure how long that distance is between the towers in tech plants... From the north side to the south side, where you can walk on the battlements on the 2nd floor. LMGs friggen kick my *** from that range while i try to snipe them.
  8. Cybah

infils will no doubt get the ability to affect vehicles at some point. because its pretty obvious now how silly it is that they are the only class that cant. i just hope it suits the class and isnt just another C4 user.
    i think an infil kicking a player out from a tank, much like a turret, would suit very well. so that he could hopefully kill that guy in a 1v1 and hop in his tank. it would need a timer for hacking for some balance, but hacking turrets have that timer so that works already.
    Then the infil has taken control of the tank forcing the other team to either blow it up or re hack it back, which would be a great way to cause chaos in the infiltrator style.
    it would ALSO force tanks to pay attention to whats happening around them (like they should be doing) instead of herp derp spamming shells on bases fishing for kills, ftw
  9. Fallout10mm

I see it being unfair to Deploy Prowlers and Vanguards to a lesser extent. Magriders would be less vulnerable just because the way they work (you have to move the entire tank to reposition your main gun).
  10. Rift23

Would it be stupidly easier than a tank mine chucking engineer or a divebombing C4ing LA?
  11. eldarfalcongravtank

so cloaked/invisible infantry can sneak up on tanks and insta-gib them? as if flying light assaults with c4 or engineers with insta-gib AT mines are not bad enough!!!!

NO, THANK YOU! infiltrators, hide from vehicles!
  12. Astraka

Could you at least pretend you've read more than the OP?
  13. eldarfalcongravtank

why? what for? hacking vehicles is another thing i dont want to see in ps2. terrans driving around in mags, vanu having mixed armies of vanguards and prowlers... no thank you! i am against this suggestion and i can voice my opinion as a member of this community

the ONLY thing i could agree with is perhaps give infiltrators some kind of emp grenade that temporarily disables vehicle(s) in a certain area for like 20+ seconds. but infiltrators per se should never be able to damage/kill vehicles or their crew. we have more than enough anti-tank weapons in this game, we dont need another class that deals damage to them
  14. Dr. Euthanasia

We can't. Our cloak lasts 12 seconds and it's highly visible.
  15. SGTWOLF68

Or run only thing you can do and hacking vehicles maybe sundys, libs, lightnings, and flashes but not faction specific vehicles.
  16. Astraka

The reason you read more than the OP is so that you're not needlessly repeating the same tired diatribe other people have. You read more than the OP so that you're on the same page as everyone else. Since you cannot be bothered, I'll help.

What is the issue with Empire specific vehicles?
  17. Syphers

Buff emp grenades to disable vehicles temporarily
  18. Ztiller

Most vehicles use IRNV/Thermal, which makes us completely invisible.

As for your opinion on the cloak being "highly visible" i'm not even going to bother. You know what i think on the matter, so don't even bring it up.

Vehicles are also slow and it's easy to "outsneak" their turret, and make for good hiding spots. I usually use enemy vehicles as mobile hiding spots when sneaking into bases.
  19. Dr. Euthanasia

Turning the optics on or off remains a matter of choice. I flicker between both settings when I'm gunning because their limited range may cause me to miss things that regular optics wouldn't. Also, there's only so much green I'm prepared to willingly subject my eyes to at once.

You're the one replying to me. Personal experience overwhelmingly favors it being nowhere near reliable enough for me to consider it a valid solution to any problem which doesn't involve breaking spotting or long range engagements post-GU04.

Sure, but you can avoid the tank's line of sight just as easily as an Engineer and destroy it, and then you've got yourself a static hiding spot with a built-in smokescreen that isn't liable to drive away or blow you to pieces.
    • Up x 1
  20. Kevin12

My magrider rides over enemies for sure. Problem is that they don't die...