Players don't want meta game, they want a session based game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Deladin, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Kogmaw

Bumping for accuracy
  2. ScrapyardBob

Poor solution. That just encourages players to flock to the winning side.

The primary issues of the moment are:
    - It's too easy to capture territory with a single player
    - Cut-off territories do not naturally revert
    - Cut-off territories can be used to capture other territories
    - Base design still makes defending a joke
    - Too little reward for joining the losing faction (both at server level and at continent level)
  3. Halcyon

Speak for yourself. I want meta.
  4. EMP1RE

Meta game, reworking of resources, proper balancing and more foresight from developers would make PS2 one of the greats. I didn't sign up for Unreal Tournament...
  5. LT_Latency

I think players want action, Driving around the world capping points that are not well defended is a /Yawn feast for me.

I want to go to a massive battle and slug it out until in and EPIC 300 vs 300 war because it's way more fun then sitting at a point picking my nose waiting for it to flip over and over again and not fighting very much
  6. Tasogie

You cant expect todays gamers to have self responsibility or the ability to play in any way that doesn't involve COD farming. SOE actively attract these......people... As their primary audience so good luck ever getting the game to change. if anything its gonna get worse.
    That type of player has "trouble" with complex gaming, an SOE know that.
  7. Typhra

The problem is not the players, it's the game.

There is no real strategy or skill involved in this zerg-fest of a game, because you can die nearly instantly from things you can't see or predict.

Planetside 1 had a great deal of strategy involved with it because there was time to react to threats and the changing tactical environment. PS2 lacks this entirely, by the time you realize something's gone wrong, you're dead with no chance to react.

A combination of bad latency, stupidly low time to kill, and very little delineation between weapons due to the stupidly low TTK.
  8. Grimpiggy

The current meta game from what I understand is just take Tech-plants and warp gate the other guys.
    I would like more meta game.
  9. Inzababa

I guess I'm not a player :/
  10. Madmojo

When the rewards of meta game outweigh the bio cert farm, then it will change. Their play style will change. Lets just hope the change is fun.
  11. Jokkie

I'd say the majority want a meta game. Its just that feeling you get when you capture a continent, and its like...that's it?
  12. Moxin

The massive amount of players who actually want a meta game have still hopes or left the game already.

If they want to give this game a future, hopefully they implement the good features from "Planetside". Game at release was only half finished, so many features missing.....like some said, PS2 is not Planetside and is actually boring in comparison.
  13. Ashnal

There's a huge disincentive when you switch sides though. You lose all of the effort and time you put into your character on the other side, which XP farmers detest when progress is lost.
    The people who switch sides all the time are the ones who don;t really care about XP and only want to be always killing and winning.
  14. Udnknome

I don't understand how you can make observations about player wants and desires for content THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE.

If people actually wanted only certs they could still camp the Crown on Indar and completely ignore the metagame even after it's implemented.

Currently there is no choice to do anything but certfarm.
  15. Cowboyhomer

Right now there is nothing else to do but fight....so we fight. We cap bases and we shoot people. While that is fun to me, there wouldnt be much I could do if it wasn't. Im ready for more. I would like supply lines, player owned bases and continent locks. We want a reason to fight and defend but right now all we have is the hate we have for the other faction.

We all fight at a base and then when we get pushed out we go to the bext base to regroup and come back or to regroup and get ready for the enemy to come to us. its not like leaving a server. These servers(bases) eventually stop letting you spawn there and you have to leave.
  16. Forkyar24

those cry baby's will never get a cod/bf3 match game this is not those games,this planetside,if you want that go to a different game,you get nothing in his game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Deladin

Just so we are clear, I was not saying I wan't no meta game, or that it's not badly needed and that a lot of the players also want it.

I was generalizing in the sense that the majority of players would not know meta-game if it stood there tickling their face, unless said meta-game handed out free certs just for showing up.

The truth in my eyes is that the gameplay itself should be the driving factor, with kicking some spandex wearing freak off a continent being a worthy end goal.

Look at BF 1942/Vietnam games, there was no XP, no certs, no weapon unlocks. Yet people flocked to those games, because it was fun to play, and once in the game, the only object was to demolish the other team. Planetside should be be an evolution of that type of game play, taking the small scale battles and breaking OUT of the session based, game at a time play style and bringing it into a large world with strategic opportunities to demolish the other team. Instead, we got a more modern XP grind shooter that the COD made popular. Sure that kind of gameplay has it's place, but it does not mesh well with what SOE was trying to do. If SOE wanted to created a literal Battlefield Online with session based servers, they went the wrong way of achieving that, yet the end result is still the same.

It's a cycle really. Not everyone want's this cert farm gameplay, yet the majority of the players COE is trying to cater to (by both being free to play, and by dumping much of the unique elements from PS1 and adopting CoD/BF3 mechanics in there place) could care less about the rest of the world outside of there little 3 hour farm session.

So now, you have the players who have fun with just killing flocking to the same bases as the farmers, as that is where the killing is. And as a result, you have the players and outfits who actually want to play the game in a fuller aspect have the choice to either zoom around taking empty bases, log off, or...go join the rest of the zerg.

There are many places SOE dropped the ball really. There first mistake was going free to play. It is not because of the players it draws, but because of the way they have to make money. They have to release a constant stream of new weapons, to keep the money coming in. Players, who do not want to pay for the game are forced to use certs, well over a week worth of farming for some players. Players see the new weapon as the goal now, rather then each battle and each continent. IN a way they are playing to win, but they are playing to win that new gun.

Honestly I do not know what can change to turn the mob mentality of cert farming = good, fighting for a continent = bad, as the game is unlikely to go pay to play.

I guess the game is successful, but only because SOE catered to the same crowed that CoD and BF caters to. Short attention spans, immediate gain, I just want to shoot as many people as I can in a short amount of time players. But SOE also fails to realize(or they did and just don't care..more likely case) that this type of mentality can not propagate the kind of gameplay SOE tries to tell everyone PS2 is all about.

Another gloom(or light depending on how you look at it) at the end of the tunnel.

Just like CoD and BF games, when a new one comes out, everyone abandons it and flocks to the new one, cause the type of player these games attract have no loyality to a game, and why should they? They were never playing the game for some long term goal, they were playing for unlocks. And once they level and prestige, what more reason is there to play the game?

If PS2 does not give players this reason (and some how changes the mindset of the cert farmers first) this game will fall when the next BF game comes out, because it will be the same game but with prettier graphics and a whole new list of stuff to unlock!
  18. Deladin

Just so we are clear, I was not saying I wan't no meta game, or that it's not badly needed and that a lot of the players also want it.

I was generalizing in the sense that the majority of players would not know meta-game if it stood there tickling their face, unless said meta-game handed out free certs just for showing up.

The truth in my eyes is that the gameplay itself should be the driving factor, with kicking some spandex wearing freak off a continent being a worthy end goal.

Look at BF 1942/Vietnam games, there was no XP, no certs, no weapon unlocks. Yet people flocked to those games, because it was fun to play, and once in the game, the only object was to demolish the other team. Planetside should be be an evolution of that type of game play, taking the small scale battles and breaking OUT of the session based, game at a time play style and bringing it into a large world with strategic opportunities to demolish the other team. Instead, we got a more modern XP grind shooter that the COD made popular. Sure that kind of gameplay has it's place, but it does not mesh well with what SOE was trying to do. If SOE wanted to created a literal Battlefield Online with session based servers, they went the wrong way of achieving that, yet the end result is still the same.

It's a cycle really. Not everyone want's this cert farm gameplay, yet the majority of the players COE is trying to cater to (by both being free to play, and by dumping much of the unique elements from PS1 and adopting CoD/BF3 mechanics in there place) could care less about the rest of the world outside of there little 3 hour farm session.

So now, you have the players who have fun with just killing flocking to the same bases as the farmers, as that is where the killing is. And as a result, you have the players and outfits who actually want to play the game in a fuller aspect have the choice to either zoom around taking empty bases, log off, or...go join the rest of the zerg.

There are many places SOE dropped the ball really. There first mistake was going free to play. It is not because of the players it draws, but because of the way they have to make money. They have to release a constant stream of new weapons, to keep the money coming in. Players, who do not want to pay for the game are forced to use certs, well over a week worth of farming for some players. Players see the new weapon as the goal now, rather then each battle and each continent. IN a way they are playing to win, but they are playing to win that new gun.

Honestly I do not know what can change to turn the mob mentality of cert farming = good, fighting for a continent = bad, as the game is unlikely to go pay to play.

I guess the game is successful, but only because SOE catered to the same crowed that CoD and BF caters to. Short attention spans, immediate gain, I just want to shoot as many people as I can in a short amount of time players. But SOE also fails to realize(or they did and just don't care..more likely case) that this type of mentality can not propagate the kind of gameplay SOE tries to tell everyone PS2 is all about.

Another gloom(or light depending on how you look at it) at the end of the tunnel.

Just like CoD and BF games, when a new one comes out, everyone abandons it and flocks to the new one, cause the type of player these games attract have no loyality to a game, and why should they? They were never playing the game for some long term goal, they were playing for unlocks. And once they level and prestige, what more reason is there to play the game? Play it because it's fun? bleh, that is so last decade, we can't have fun if we are not earning XP!

If PS2 does not give players some reason to keep play past the unlock, and some how changes the mindset of the cert farmers first, this game will fall when the next BF game comes out, because it will be the same game but with prettier graphics and a whole new list of stuff to unlock!
  19. Ash87

...Come again for big fudge?

Most everyone who writes on the forums, with a few exceptions, do actually, you know, play the game. Most all of them care a great deal about the game. You don't get to say: "Sorry this group of people? Their opinion doesn't matter because of an arbitrary reason I just thought up to justify preventing any reasonable discourse that might counter an idea that I myself support," throw up your hands, and declare victory over the debate. Sorry, just doesn't work like that.

Alright, as to Metagame: No, we absolutely, positively, without a doubt, Want a metagame. I want it. The people in the outfit I am part of want it. Most organized outfits want it.

I am sorry that the OP has such a narrow view of the game, and would rather encourage negative behaviors, than try to fix it.
  20. Badgered

Speak for yourself. I want a meta game complete with supply lines, resource harvesting, and other logistical challenges that need to be done by players and defended by players. I want this game to play like a RTS, except we are the units on the battlefield rather than the invisible hand that commands them.

Make it so.