Parallax should 1-hit headshot players w/nanoweave

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PhilDun, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Teegeeack

Five headshots in a row, five clunks in a row. On top of proxy mines not working, playing infiltrator is a pain in the ****. All those enormous NC Phoenix-wielding heads taunting me and nothing I can do about it, all for the sake of 61 certs in nanoweave armor.
  2. Teegeeack

I'm in two minds about the nanoweave allowing you to survive OHKs now. Disregarding the Phoenix and whatnot for a moment, by allowing nanoweave 3 to protect you from one hit kills from a bolt action, you are actually breathing new life into the semi-automatics. I actually think this could be a good thing - finally a reason to pick semi-automatic over bolt action. If you want OHK, and are willing to risk nanoweave protecting the target, go for bolt action. If you can handle the lower damage and two headshot requirement of the semi-automatic, you are guaranteed kills as nanoweave will not protect them.
  3. Joe-H2O

Shotgun OHK: virtually point blank range with a pump action only.

Bolt action rifle OHK: extreme long range from a wide range of possible shooting locations.

Also, I have to laugh at "more skill based". Shotguns have a different set of skills attached to them - namely that you have to get yourself into close range to be able to have a hope of killing someone, putting you at a significant disadvantage out in the open. Certainly there are areas that favour shotguns, but claiming that they are "noob friendly" just smacks of an elitist attitude that doesn't really help your argument.

Shotguns trade their immense CQB power for total ineffectiveness at ranges beyond about 20-30m. Not getting caught out in those situations is where the "skill" in shotgun use comes in - positioning and routing into place (something LA is very good at, hence the great synergy there), just as the "skill" in sniping comes from mastering the sway of your weapon, finding a good place to roost and learning how bullet drop works.

In a single situation (max rank nanoweave), the bolt action rifle is not a OHK. Boo hoo. Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it. The number of people using nano 5 is highly limited due to the large amount of explosive damage in the game, making flak armour much more beneficial.
  4. illgot

Bolt Action Sniper Rifles should 1 shot hit at any range no matter what level of nano weave.
    • Up x 1
  5. LonelyTerran

Maybe you don't need all those 1 hit kills?

[IMG]
  6. PhilDun

To the person above saying that shotguns are as difficult as snipers: LOL. Come on. Shotguns are easy-mode.

Let me just say that as someone who used to snipe 80% of the time, I'm done with Infiltrator for now. Too many players wear Nanoweave. Killing players is now half luck - even if you land the perfect headshot, it might not mean anything.

GG SoE. They probably don't even know about this issue. Doubt any of them have read this thread. Probably all checking Twitter or something.
  7. Vaphell

OHK shotguns are noob friendly, end of story. Even FPS god doesn't stand a chance against instagib, even monkey can press LMB when the target is roughly in the center of the screen.

"Sniper rifles trade their immense long range power for total ineffectiveness at ranges below 50 m... except they don't really work in long range" - not to mention you forget about slugs that make shotguns better sniping weapons than sniper rifles themselves. A lot of punch, rock steady crosshair, rapid fire.

Positioning and routing are as important for infiltrators and more tricky because you can't fly to make shortcuts, also you announce your presence to everybody in up to 100m range whenever you use your class ability which doesn't happen with jetpacks. I'd even argue that often it's way harder for infiltrators because they are mostly defenseless en route when caught off guard and fold as soon as somebody shoots at them.
    Aiming is a non issue in case of shotguns - put target roughly in the screen center, press LMB once, he dies. Sniping? Explosions nearby nullify it. Flinch nullifies it. Erratic movement of the target nullifies it.

There were rather significant nerfs to HE recently so quite a few people switched. What about the fact that conducted experiments indicate that 1000c rifles can't kill at 100m+ for NW3 (61 as in sixty-one cert points)? Every other engineer sniping with AV turret has NW because one of their main fears is being headshotted by snipers. Many tubing HAs do the same - they know that snipers are most likely to kill them during aiming.
  8. Joe-H2O

An "FPS god" wouldn't get themselves into the deadly range of a shotgun user, at least not in a way that puts them squarely at a disadvantage (assuming they were also using a shotgun).

Also, slugged shotguns being better sniper rifles than bolt action rifles. heh. Stopped reading there.
  9. SgtBreastroker

Look everyone, a sniper hating on shotguns. I haven't seen that before.
  10. Vaphell

so how, without entering claustrophobic rooms, do you plan to:
    - cap indoor points
    - destroy gens
    - win biolab?
    Camping at doors and corners is not exactly rocket science.
    Besides, you just pretty much said that fps god has to use instagib shotgun to stand a chance, no smg, no lmg, no nothing. If the godly skills can't overcome shotgun then the weapon is indeed noob friendly because it nullifies most or all skill of the superior opponent.

while it was a slight hyperbole, shotgun slugs are apparently enough to do this...

I wish i could spam bullets like that with pinpoint accuracy (especially when we take Vanu no-drop on everything but bolt-action rifles). Even semi-auto sniper rifles don't offer that much convenience because of sway, you fire 3rd bullet when your crosshair is all over the place because 'hold breath' ran out.
  11. PhilDun

Hopefully this issue is addressed in GU6.
  12. Dragonblood

Agreed, being immune to sniping by a passive ability is just wrong. This renders snipers even more useless. And the comparison with flak armor and AP mines just don't cut it. Laying AP mines is not the primary job of engineers or infiltrators, but taking away the sniping away from snipers is.
  13. Teegeeack

If you've read the thread, you would know nanoweave 3 saves people from OHK with a bolt action. But why bother knowing the facts when you can simply wade in with your dumb opinions anyway?
  14. Vikarius

lol checking back in this thread...
    SOE still has YET to CHANGE the advertisement for the high powered bolt action rifles.
    https://www.planetside2.com/news/large-caliber-snipers

"ONLY a heavy with this class shield has a CHANCE to survive a headshot"

Continuing to false advertise.....ONLY a heavy, means even if there was nanoweave rank 9000, if they were not a heavy with their class shield on, they should die in 1 headshot
    Not working as intended currently.

I suggest infiltrators band together and spam their twitter and reddit relentlessly so they get the picture
  15. Jaloro

I may be in a minority but I would happily see the damage on snipers lowered, along with shotguns. I don't believe there should be one shot kills in the game at all.

Also, any sniper claiming skill is laughable. You are popping shots at targets that don't know where you are and cannot easily retaliate. As far as I can tell, you serve no function at all, you don't move the line forward, don't take objectives and are just basically a waste of a slot on a pop-locked continent. However, I would be happy if someone can show me otherwise.

Actually, I may be wrong. You are there to ensure that infantry players have to keep moving around like they have fleas down their pants when outdoors. Not sure its useful but it is a function I guess.
  16. Vikarius

Stopped reading at "Sniper claiming skill is laughable"

Try playing one
    and lol at reducing sniper damage, but keeping the half a second TTK spray and pray weapons the game is littered with is okay?
    until then 0/10 troll
  17. Teegeeack

Why would he play sniper when he can OHK people with his shotgun, a weapon that, as we all know, can only be wielded by the most skillful?
  18. Sulsa

Do you tap your opponents on the shoulder when they are turned away from you before you start shooting?
  19. Dragonblood

BTW most people agree that someone needs to put down long range mana turret or lock on spammers.
  20. Teegeeack

No, clearly a light assault with a shotgun has no trouble doing that.