Where is the line between a suspiciously good player and a blatant cheater?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dictatorfish, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Dictatorfish

I was recently killed by someone. No biggy, I'm not a great player, I get killed all the time. And I've fought this guy before, so I know he's very good. But in all the times I've seen him, he's never been THAT good, and the speed and range at which I was killed by made me suspicious, because I normally only get killed this quickly by players named "nowayout3" or "4tfaction00001" who get K/Ds of about 100:1, appear for only one night and then are never seen again.

So I took a look at his recent killboard:
    [IMG]
    (The character number has been covered in case it turns out that he really has improved a LOT and is innocent of anything immoral.)

So, where does the line between a suspiciously good player and a blatant hacker lie?
  2. SinerAthin

You can't track cheaters based on their KDR, but it could give you an indication.

Tbh, I like to joke and say that those leaderboards don't actually serve any purpose other than to point SOE at some obvious cheaters :D
  3. Joe-H2O

Honestly, a string of constant headshot kills like that with anything other than the bolt action rifle is highly suspect.

The other thing to listen for is whether his gun stops firing immediately, assuming you're in range to hear that. Aimbots tend to fire exactly the right number of rounds to kill you so it sounds very unnatural when it happens.

Even shotgun users tend to fire at least one round more just through human nature - you want to be sure you killed the target and unless you've got your target bang to rights you're almost always going to fire at least one or two more rounds (for a shotty) or several more (for an automatic weapon). Aimbots stand out like a sore thumb in those situations.
    • Up x 8
  4. DJPenguin

before reporting people i always look at their headshot counts for their weapons. divide the kills/headshots. if that guy's mercenary headshot ratio is 50%+ he's got a headshot script.
  5. BraSS

hax imo
  6. Tasogie

its pretty easy. there are no "good" players, the ones at top, with huge scores, use scripts. its as black an white as that.
    • Up x 3
  7. SgtBreastroker

• Up x 11
  8. ShayeUK

a string of head shots that are not from BA/BR or slug shottie is highly suspect, I would report him and let SOE decide...
    • Up x 1
  9. Dubious

I report everyone that kills me
    • Up x 4
  10. Tasogie

11. SgtBreastroker

12. IMTasty

The k/d is nothing special, but the amount of headshots makes me think it's an aimbot. Also look at the kill at the top, Blood and Optrex, there is only 2 seconds between both headshots. Sure that can happen, but with that amount of headshots in a row.... aimbot imo.
    • Up x 2
  13. ikillyou1990

14. ArcMinuteLight

This is proper psychology none of that innate nature-hippie stuff, you diss it, you lose in life. Simple as that. :cool:
    • Up x 1
  15. Kastrenzo

Neither Cheater nor naturally talented player is safe, since butt hurt raging players will report anyone who bests them out of rage. And people who did nothing wrong get banned more often than you think
    • Up x 1
  16. rumblepit

i have played fps games for over 10 years and i can tell you that players develops a BS detector . after 10 years mine is finely tuned and its hard to get anything past me. i have ban more hackers than most have seen ,and the longer you stay with a game the easier they are to spot. ive been playing sine beta, and i have well over 1000 hrs in this game, its not very hard to spot them at this point.

i always double check stats before i report anyone, and im pretty sure everyone i have ever reported ended up getting banned.
    i wish i could see stats for my reports :(
    • Up x 1
  17. The Milk Man

Your grammar says otherwise. xD
    • Up x 4
  18. Phrygen

My k/d is pretty high, but for example i only use a tank and run like a girl from bad fights....

The headhots are quite suspect though
  19. Tasogie

kdr is irrelevant in gaming an has no meaning beyond a silly mindless stat that young ones think actually makes them something.
    • Up x 1
  20. Littleman

Totally missing the point of this thread...

I'm calling cheat. Even guys whom have finely trained themselves to aim for the head don't often get a head shot on the killing blow (the only time it tracks the headshot) using an automatic just from recoil and CoF screwing them over in the process.