Whats happening to the Phoenix, w/ statements from Higby.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LordMondando, Mar 28, 2013.

1. XLander

Oh whats worse the ttk of the lancer against a basic vangard is 1 minute 10 seconds if they don't move... Most worthless weapon in the VS arsenal unless 7-14 players fire on the same target all at once.
  2. Eugenitor

Yes, it's a Skinner box. Stimulus-response is pretty much the only way to keep the spunkgargleweewee players around. I think for PS3, should the franchise live so long, they should just go back to a subscription model and fill in the player gap with bots. The bots would be more intelligent, better conversationalists, and more aware of their surroundings.

"Well, we've balanced it against vehicles and air. Are we forgetting something? Anyone? And remember, before you answer, my dealer is going to be pretty mad if I don't have his money this week."

Oh, and since I didn't quite address the original post:

"If it remains widely abused we will pull damage on it to make it not kill infantry."

No, Higby, you should have halved its damage against infantry the moment you realized how it was being used, and gone from there. And your statements about worrying about the Lancer being OP just mean that you don't want people to use the weapon in the way that you advertised it as being usable for.
  3. S1eB

Thats not the point, the other launchers can't kill infantry, so why should the Phoenix?
    The launchers are AA and AV weapons, they are not meant for AP. Also, this "making the projectile more visible so you can see where they are coming from" will do nothing.
    How can you take someone out that is firing from behind cover? yeah, you can see where he is but unless he is on his own and not with team mates around you aren't going to be able to take him out.

The biggest mistake SoE made was making it camera guided in the first place, now it's causing problems and they can't go back on making it camera guided, so they are trying stupid crap to try and fix their mistake.
  4. MurderBunneh

I don't want it for infantry I want it for av so if they nerf all the infantry damage I could care less but if you do that it had better be equally effective against av but it cant be because of the 300m limitation.

So now they will need to buff damage and speed to make up for it which will set off the vehicle drivers to ******** about it.
  5. Eclipson

Least they admit they screwed up. What I don't get is why they need to do all this fancy pants IR/NV tv view thing. All they have to do is change that little number in their code so that it doesn't OHK infantry, and just buff the damage to vehicles a little bit. Its a lot less work, and wouldd fix the problem with it. Some people will still use it for infantry, and large squads of them could still effectively take out infantry, but they wouldn't spam it on their own nearly as much. But you know, if SOE wants to waste their time, its their prerogative.
  6. MurderBunneh

And the tears will switch from infantry to tankers. It will never be as good against air as the other 2 can so the only path is to make do extreme damage against tanks kind of a camera guided decimator.
  7. Galaxycommand

8. Aisar

I don't think they test anything past does it shoot and operate mechanically? good. They toss it out, let the masses play with it, use it a ton themselves (the devs), and then they tweak/balance/adjust according to what feels right, what it is intended for and what is getting the most hate. I don't know why but Higby basically said testing beforehand is not possible.
  9. BennyB

Yeah testing beforehand would eliminate that "OP" window where SOE cashes in big time on the shiny toy before it's nerfed.

Even with a double SC weekend coming up, I don't feel comfortable spending any more money on this game. You can't trust anything you buy to be properly tested. You've got OP weapons that desperately need to be nerfed (Phoenix), weapons that become totally obsolete (Annihilator), and weapons that just straight suck (Lancer).

Remove all AI damage on the Phoenix; Striker doesn't do any, lancer doesn't do any - why the **** should the Phoenix? It makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.
  10. LordMondando

Yes but keeping the 'gentlemen' around doesn't require the entire game placate to them, or lobotomise itself for them.

As I've said, and I assume from the gentleman's silence, 1xp per missile shot down would be fine.

Oh, and since I didn't quite address the original post:

"If it remains widely abused we will pull damage on it to make it not kill infantry."

No, Higby, you should have halved its damage against infantry the moment you realized how it was being used, and gone from there. And your statements about worrying about the Lancer being OP just mean that you don't want people to use the weapon in the way that you advertised it as being usable for.[/quote]
    I'd much rather they found more innovative ways for things to require a bit of tactical adeptness to use properly, rather than just nerfing everythings damage till the game becomes a giant game of laser tag.

Hopefully, the result of these changes will be that, as opposed to at present. when someone hits you with a phoenix missile, they deserved to get that kill.

Its just not there are present as about 70-80% of the time, when a missile kills you, you might as well have been killed by the mind powers from scanners, for all you could have seen it coming.

I'm not ok with that. I'm trying to use mine only for CQC at the moment as I find it amusing. I call it the obama drone shotgun.

Hopefully the changes get in before Easter. I imagine there holding off now to whack it in the necessary double xp patch.

Also as an aside, see my thread about tryingto be reasonable about the phoniex is struggling to stay on the top page, rage threads are not.

Oh forumside!
    • Up x 1
  11. PS2Freak

12. LordMondando

Question:

If they 1/2ed, even reduced to a 1/3rd the current damage against infantry of the Phoenix.

would that stop people spamming them?
  13. Malebranche

We are ALL in it. :eek:
    • Up x 1
  14. Prodigal

That Lancer argument is plain unsincere. "You cannot counter it" - can you counter a rifle or a tank shell? No you cant, thats why its counter lies within itself, meaning you have to expose yourself and you need to aim - the latter being the more important, since that avoids you having a 100% hit rate. Lock-on Striker (without countermeasures) and Phoenix are 100% hit rate, the Lancer is not. Thats the Lancer's flaw.
  15. LordMondando

I think with a few more slight tweaks, all supposedly on the way. The lancer as a weapon used en mass, could end up being the one when deployed by organised outfits that people fear the most.

Sure, as a solo weapon its always going to suck.

but 7+ people using them at once, in concert, potentially instagibbing tanks and aircraft?

As higby notes on reddit side. There worry if increase its stats and usability to much, then you really have a AV god weapon.

Remember, every item in this game 1v1 is a largely irrelevant issue, its how do squad-platoon strength organised units use it.
  16. Prodigal

Actually they're not. The Lancer is the only of the 3 ESRLs that has no 100% hit rate without countermeasures. You need to aim and you need to lead the shot. That's actually the reason why it doesnt need a counter.
  17. Xasapis

Well, you need to aim the dumpfire rockets as well and you need to account for drop. It definitely is the launcher with the highest skill cap in the game though.

The biggest issue of the Lancer is that it's a precision weapon that is not precise.
  18. Prodigal

I dont really see how what you wrote relates to what I said. Actually what you wrote can easily be applied to every single ESRL, so your statement seems so general that you're not expressing anything.
  19. Prodigal

Of course.
  20. Rustler

Exactly.

The balance seems simple as hell....Just make them not insta kill infantry, make them weaker and they wont be used against infantry.

Whats so hard in that?