Stop putting in stuff from PS1 that nobody wants.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Belphan, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Larington

The only way I can see orbital strikes working in PS2 is if they do the Quake Wars "You're getting orbitalled, get out of there!" thing so that it's only really reliable for destroying fixed/deployed emplacements or creating panic in a tank line, watching as all of them drive into each other in a desperate attempt to get out of the blast zone.

Truth be told though, I'd prefer it if they just shelved the idea and focused on other things. Forever.
    • Up x 1
  2. Kookamunga

Agreed , if flying TV's were in PS1 , then yes , they are failing miserably.
  3. Canaris

I'm a 2003 vet of PS1 and even I don't want to see Orbital Strikes back in game, know that's going to make some of my mates unhappy as they do want it back.
    I just don't think they'll work well or in case they'll work too well if you get me.
  4. Madmojo

I don't want kill streak bonuses but OS was not like that. It required CR5 and had a 24 hour CD. People died and then they respawned.
  5. DirArtillerySupport

Exactly!! We just want a place to go be nostalgic and hang with other vets...and if that means subscribing to PS2 in order to give us this place then it sounds like a pretty fair deal for both sides. Encourages us to spend a little in the PS2 marketplace but also provides a relief valve when we get the itch for something more. I have no doubt outfits of vets will hold events on both versions of Auraxis. The most important part is they will still remain with SOE and contribute a little to the development of PS2.

I could honestly careless if anyone new follows in fact it's probably best for SOE that they don't. I think they should stay here...PS1 will just confuse and irritate them. The last thing that I would want is for any part of PS2 to influence changing PS1 even in the smallest way.
    • Up x 1
  6. DirArtillerySupport

Did you ever play BF2142?
    • Up x 1
  7. Cowboyhomer

I have no experience with them but possibly having 6000 orbital strikes every night during primetime sounds terrible...
    • Up x 1
  8. Kingside

As a Planetside 1 Vet and primarily an Infantryman in Planetside 2, I miss the ability to loot your enemies weapons and store them in lockers. I maintained a constant supply of Jackhammers for tower defense and Spikers for Infiltration.
    Only now with VR is the general population able to compare how ridiculous some faction's weapons are. At least in PS1 you could just loot them and use them--end of the discussion
    • Up x 2
  9. DirArtillerySupport

That's a balance issue...I mean they added massive flying robots to a game and in a number of months successfully balanced them into ripe targets surrounded by a protective shield, cloaked automated turrets and mines...that a single soldiers could kill...alone. There is no reason they can't balance a simple laser beam coming out of the sky. Everyone assumes immediately the sky is going to start falling and ruin the game for everyone. SOE can't afford to add anything to this game that will piss people off any more than they already are over lack of content...it will get nerfed into a special effect and we'll keep on playing. I like special effects....and any new content is welcome in my book...including massive aircraft carriers, pump action shotguns, zoom zoom buggies and even maybe...ATAT walkers...full of developers.
    • Up x 3
  10. Ayre

By nobody you mean you, and your specific opinion matters enough to assume mine is the same.
    I wanted ES AV and I do still want OS, it'll clear out magrider hill all the faster and make the infantry game slightly less **** than it is now.
    • Up x 1
  11. Traska

I've always thought, if done right, BFRs could be an interesting idea for PS2.

Each side can have exactly one BFR up at a time. The thing is huge (makes hitting it easier). It requires several people to run it... it needs a commander (this person cannot exit unless someone switches with them), it requires a separate gunner for all weapons (two anti-infantry turrets, two anti-vehicle cannons, two anti-air launchers), and the main cannon (which can only damage BFRs), it moves slow, but it hits like a beast and has a huge amount of HP.

This is balanced by several factors:

1) As mentioned, each empire can only have one at a time.
    2) It has a 24 hour respawn timer, from time of death, not spawn.
    3) It is worth a tremendous amount of EXP, divided among everyone who damaged the thing, and in the proportion by which they damaged it.
    4) It's gigantic, making targeting and hitting it MUCH simpler.
    5) It shows up on the minimap, AND it shows up as a beacon automatically to all three sides.
    6) They can only be spawned at a facility next to the warpgate, but cannot enter the warpgate.
    7) Each continent will gain a new facility. It has a wide area force field around it, which drops as soon as the first BFR is spawned. This facility is designed to do two things: kill soldiers who try to get to the center of the structure (using the game's only auto-firing turrets), and shut down ALL BFRs (resetting their timers back to 24h) once the control point is captured (a 12/12 control point)

Once the control point is captured, the BFRs don't immediately die, but they start taking damage until they are gone. Engineers can fix this damage, but nothing can halt it. This gives the BFRs a chance to inflict more damage until they are dead. Obviously, the idea is that if your empire has a BFR up, you want to prevent others from getting to the control point. If your empire's BFR is destroyed, the mission becomes get to that control point at all costs so you can take theirs down.

In essence, take an overpowered unit from PS1, and make it endgame content of a sort. In a PvP game, there are no monsters, so we have to become the raid monster.

It would change the flavor of the game, to be sure. But a lot of people want there to be some form of endgame-like content, and this could be it.
    • Up x 1
  12. Traska

EDIT: Almost forgot. The last balancing factor is that it should require an insane amount of certs (2000+) just to unlock the ability to spawn it.
  13. TheEvilBlight

Stuff nobody wants: Auraxis
  14. Kristan

We don't need old heavy mech BFR. Light strike mech, somewhat inbetween lightning and MBT would be appropriate and balanced.
    • Up x 1
  15. Ash87

Basically that big mech suite from Aliens... except with a rocket launcher.
  16. Zakuak

Nice post DAS!

While I think a catastrophic POWNED beam would be really cool to see a few times, Im sure that wont be the case with OS. I'd love to see OS but it does not have to rain death across 7 hex's and destroy all who witness its glory lol. Something much smaller could be very cool and effective, like a dalton damage x 4 or something (h*ll if I know, just saying).

Some of you have some deep seeded apprehensions about certain PS1 bits making it into PS2 but Everything / anything can be added to the game and balanced, BFR's could be awesome if balanced properly. ATAT, yup, I'd buy one! haha
  17. Cowboyhomer

Im with ya...I wont be quitting playing this game any time soon. I am not a dont do this or dont do that kind of player. I dont cry nerf or buff... Im just not in love with this or the lattice but I am not saying not to add them. I am just voicing my opinion. I want a fully fleshed out game so I will wait and see.
  18. AuntLou42

You are right caves and bfrs were not awesome. Orbital strikes were awesome! Oh wait let me "use my head for a second'....... Yep orbital strikes are awesome.

Also getting killed by an invisible guy w/ a SMG was a Planetside 1 thing?????? uh no

People in the caves were "lost" ? uh no

You should try making an actual argument man. Your not aiming for a constructive thread here.
  19. axiom537

Actually, OS's provide a very valuable purpose, which is they are a fantastic tool for breaking up a zerg or an overwheliming force bombarding a target and really help the defenders reset a fight or at least give them a little breathing room while the attackers recover.

Now, I am hesitant to have them implemented into PS2 for a whole variety of reasons. However, I can't tell you how many times I have seen a huge zerg force in PS2, just sitting behind a shield wall waiting for the thing to go down so they can over whelm the defenders and thought " Damn, I wish I had my OS"
    • Up x 1
  20. Fligsnurt

I just want to say that some of the stuff they were planning on bringing back (Orbital Strikes and BFRs) received such a negative response from the community that they were either axed (BFRs) or put on the back burner indefinitely (Orbital Strikes). So the community has a lot of say in what they want and what they don't even though early on Higby had stated that PS2 was his vision and he was unwilling to compromise that vision. But we can see that with enough of a voice the community can change his vision (scrapping OSs, BFRs, and reworking the hex system) and help sculpt this game into something better.

As the players of this game it is upon us to help contribute what we can to help make this game better for everyone and prolong the life of the game. Good or bad input are still input and that is still better then no input at all.