PS1 F2P any news?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ps2x518, Mar 24, 2013.

1. HyperMatrix

I'd have agreed with you if SWTOR wasn't such a disaster. Pre-NGE SWG was I think the best MMO ever made in terms of the depth of the depth of the game and the amount of sandboxing in almost every aspect of the game. Similar to how PS1 was set up. You could tell that there were some hardcore game lovers who designed the original games. Sadly, while the vision was superb, the implementation fell a little short so SOE figured they should stay away from that style of game in the future. And that's why we now have Planetside 2 the way it is.
  2. Zenith

SWTOR was over-hyped, the classic developer mistake. I enjoyed it for what it was, KotOR with multiplayer, but MMO it was not.
  3. TeknoBug

Graphics doesn't make the game, you'd be surprised at how deep the game is compared to PS2, it was deep even at launch. The gameplay is what makes it fun, being able to hijack vehicles, pick up enemy weapons (use a Jackhammer on a VS), permanently cloak while deploying AP mines, turrets and motion sensors. Yes the TTK is longer but that's the way an MMOFPS should be, not a instagib CoD shooter.
  4. smokemaker

I agree with you in the complex things you can do in PS1 and not in PS2.
    But TTK's.... I like the faster TTK's.
    • Up x 1
  5. ScrawnyRonnie

I prefer the longer TTK. It actually gives you a chance to survive, even if someone comes up from behind you. 1-shot-kill weapons in PS2 are annoying and require little fps skill. I used to think the JH in PS1 was too strong (2-3 shots), but I've changed my mind.
  6. Syphers

PS1 has much more depth and polish but the damn TTK is a turnoff
  7. Loclear

I, and I'm sure many others with sub-par gaming rigs, are waiting for Planetside to go FTP so that we can play something MMOFPS. I think SOE will find that when they make it FTP that it will have many more players than they think. Currently they seem to be underestimating the number of veterans who would go back after the sub is removed, and they have said nothing about the numbers who want to play PS2 but can't.
  8. Farlion

Why anyone would play that ancient thing is beyond me.
    • Up x 1
  9. Hagestol

This again? What the fanbase has pieced together was that LA and SOE wanted to change the game to increase player base, so don't blame SOE entirely. You think they had free reins with anything related to the game?

NGE launch sucked. But hey, pre-cu was pretty ****** as well, people were leaving left and right because they were tired of grinding for/grinding the jedi, tired of being hit by 1H KO mindfire/poison/disease weapons, tired of insanely inbalanced skill tapes, tired of traders dominating servers. Tired of FOTM. Defense stackers.

The game was fun, but CU was needed and perhaps if they had waited a year or two with NGE they could have launched with something resembling NGE when they sunsetted the game. That NGE was brilliant, easily one of the best MMOs I've ever played. City conversions, instances, content out of your ears. And the star wars feel of course.

I agree with SWG being excellent outside of jedi being playable at all. They just lacked the content to keep everyone playing really. SWTOR was WOW with KOTOR stories, which is sort of wierd and didn't work for me after the stories were done.

But: I'd rather have lots of players in a bit more shallow gameplay than have a deep game that flops because of the plethora of options you have today. Then you can go the EVE route and make it deeper as you go along.
  10. Tekuila

I
    It's because swtor came out.
  11. Sturmwaffles

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS!!!!

That game is past it's prime, and I'm sorry to say it isn't coming back.
    It's dead, and F2P won't save it. It's development cycle is over, and it won't ever have enough people for all of those continents.

Sorry! :(
  12. Doublefrost

The original PlanetSide isn't very good if you compare it to PlanetSide 2. All you need to know are the basic tricks. I'll help you guys out with this, it's easy.

1) Warping
    Strafe left and right with your weapon out. Distance is important. Find a nice tower stairwell and go about a third of the way across, switching between the three thirds in zones. You're gonna warp.

2) Hitscan Weapons
    Use shotguns. Clientside hit detect means you want to use hitscan. Do it!

3) Wall Humping
    Bind that third person view toggle somewhere you can click it on and off really fast while moving and fighting. Look around every corner and door. Camp. Wait for enemies to show up. Pop out and hitscan them all up and down. The client side hit and latency means you got first strike! Yay!

4) Med Kits
    Use these every time you get damaged. +25 health instantly, your enemy will hate it.

5) Use Decimators.

So... Yeah. I was kinda special ops in the original. It takes practice, sure. It takes dedication, sure. It takes a lot of effort to have cohesive teamwork, sure. It's also cheesy to the point where you start to wonder why you're even playing that game. Oh, and by the way... People will still farm doors with tanks all day long. And with grenade launchers. And Scat MAXes. And Reavers. So... It's a lot like PS2, except less advanced in gameplay and with a lot less of a fighting chance for Infantry.
  13. ps2x518

Yes, these things are true. Warping really only effects those with high ping. Otherwise it is just standard strafing which most games have, including PS2. This is a side-effect of the game being 10 years old and having poor net-code. Though I believe they released a patch at one point to mitigate this.

Yes, third person allows for more situational awareness. It is inevitable with wall humping but everyone does it. You adapt pretty quickly to this.

Med kits are an intended design feature. Everyone should at least carry a few med kits with them. I have mine binded to middle mouse button. Takes a lot of skill to use these in a firefight. Have to time it right so you get the full benefit.

I agree that there is a high learning curve in PS1. When I first started out, I had a vet train me and we did 1v1s in stairwells. He completely owned me for days before I was able to even provide somewhat of a challenge for him. 1v1 though isn't indicative of what you will encounter during a real world fight with hundreds of players. You will come across plenty of players and will be able to get kills regardless of medkits or your strafing ability. But with that said, look at all the thing we've gone over. There is so much depth to PS1, not even mentioning NTU silos, implants, loadouts, different weapons, armor suits, etc. etc.

PS2 is just run and gun shoot em up like Call of Duty. Extremely low TTK negates skill to a huge degree. It's just who sees who first.
  14. Badgered

Smedley said that they are going to roll a PS1 membership into the PS2 subscription a month or two ago on Reddit. Not sure what the hold up is yet.
  15. Fivetide

If they make it f2p they will probably kill the cert system and the possibility to pick up weapons.
  16. HyperMatrix

PS1 took far more skill than PS2....Boom Pump Action Shotty You're Dead.
  17. TeknoBug

Same reason why I still play SWG*cough*emu, one of the best experience I've had in gaming, SWTOR makes me puke.
  18. Farlion

I wouldn't say puke, but SWG was vastly superior to SWTOR.
    But overall I'd say Project uhm SWG > Emu.

Simply prefer the NGE ;)
  19. Eyeklops

I do have one big concern: The west coast based server is going to have some severe latency for the EU guys. Do you guys think the server would be better in the middle (east coast) so everybody gets a reasonable latency?
  20. Puppy

I play games half for their graphics though?