Shotguns & the like have killed small engagements

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheWhiteDragon, Mar 25, 2013.

1. HamOnRye

I carry the pandora namely because I got tired of being owned by Scatter Maxes. Now I get behind them and just unload the thing in their head while shouting "Ya Mother ****** Now You Know How It Feels!"
  2. FlayvorOfEvil

I think if shotguns have the ability to 1 hit kill with a general body shot, the knives should do the same. I mean it takes way more skill and luck to get in close with a knife and stab them than running around with a shotgun and shooting at the chest. I think shotguns should only kill in 1 shot if some pellets land on the head. That way when people aim there is more likely for a chance for the shotgun to miss outright. Now the shotguns encourage easy body shot aiming and don't reward headshots.
  3. Zorro

Not really, even though the default knives are much more advanced than modern combat knives, it does not make sense that they be OHK. In addition, it would prevent the addition of more melee weapons, some of which could be OHK.
  4. DoniSWhite

Hahah Man Scatmax's are OP CQ yes. However require a engineer to do so. Just as with any max. Although i'm sure you've had many attempt at that tactic fail and thought FFFFFUUUUUU.... Pandora not THAT mean. I know... cause i'll pull out my scatmax to counter a pandora :p
  5. Ash87

I can't really respond to this, as I have don't know where your example is coming from, or the context in which your statements are applicable. 30 kills in 2 hours doesn't sound wonderful, no, but it happens.
  6. Ash87

No, but if you wait to hack until after you hear the scythe, you will likely have blipped on their radar. The only thing you can do, is freeze and wait for them to pass, and if they see your shimmer, you are dead.
  7. Tekuila

Yes that's completely true, but I don't see how that's a problem. My maxed radar mossie is 200m.
  8. Ash87

Well that is the point, neither do I, but it's a cheap way to die.

Nothing you can do to Counter it. You run out, you hear a scythe behind you and you cloak, your away from your people, you this guy just flying around looking for stragglers, and he spots you, firing photon torpedos. When something like this happens you should get a little sign you can hold up that says "mother" on it like Wiley Coyote, after he realizes he fell off a cliff. It's cheap, but effective.

Doesn't mean we should nuke photon pods more, or that radar should have reduced range.
  9. Tekuila

If it makes you feel better I'd just shoot you with the nose gun. :p also I don't think cheap really applies, more like effective.
  10. RichardDunn

I disagree, I'm not sure where you came up with that idea. You can't generalize your personal thoughts and apply it to every player in the game. Just because you're scared of shotguns doesn't mean others are. I get killed by Carbines and LMGs more often than by Shotguns. When I see an enemy in front of me I shoot them, I don't turn and try to run away.
    • Up x 1
  11. TheWhiteDragon

I feel that this issue didn't really start popping up until the SMG's were released. Even then it's the pump action shotguns that have really caused trouble. It's the one hit kill that prevents users from being able to run away or make use of support units. The problem has only gotten worse these past two weeks as the rest of the players figured it out. Instant action doesn't really factor because it really wasn't dropping players into those zones much anyways.

I'd also add that all of this experience was found by running extremely strict squads. So I'm always walking into each engagement with 12 guys, and the same unit mix. When we are attacking we roll just about everything that comes in. The battle is won in the first minute after dropping. The rest of the time you just sit there meaning less action, and less certs.
  12. MurderBunneh

So if one faction has OHK weapons (Scatmax Phoenix) it is op but if everybody has it then it is SHUT UP L2P NOOB?
  13. Ash87

I'm just using an example that immediately pops to mind, drawing from an IG experience I had yesterday.

It -is- effective, and it -does- make sense to do it, but it also -does- produce rage when you are one lone infantryman staring up at a scythe that is about to start pummeling you with ordinance you can't match. I know that, because while I shrugged it off, the other 3 people I was trying to get behind enemy lines with, spread out over 2 territories, who met the same fate, were swearing about it over teamspeak.

And -Ha- Jokes on you, you can't do it, because we are allies on Waterson! So there!
  14. SgtBreastroker

Map awareness will go a long way.
    • Up x 1
  15. Tekuila

Haha that's understandable. Also yes I'm doing that to the people we fight against. They get a face full of m14 Banshee.
  16. HamOnRye

I have gone from having zero chance to about a 50/50 ratio with the pandora equipped. I still get insta gibbed by Scatmaxes, but my kills and assists have gone way up.
  17. ViXeN

I was just in a small engagement (a couple VS squads vs a couple NC squads) at Snake Ravine. I went 15-3 and two of those deaths were from some guy running into a room and spamming the claw shotgun. Basically the shotgun equivalent of spraying and praying. LOL It reminds me of the AA12 from MW2 more than a traditional pump-action shotgun because of the speed. I really don't see a real difference between it and the semi-automatic shotguns.
  18. Sharpe

I really think you shouldn't be pushing your argument with the assumption that everyone else thinks like you.
    "Players" haven't been figuring out anything, in no way did players change their gameplay (outfits or lonewolfs) to accommodate shotguns. In no way did the flow of battle change because of shotguns or smg's or whatever other weapon you wish to add to that list.

In fact you're argument that there's very little "Squad detected" on disputed territories is completely false.
    In Miller right now the vast majority of engagements are Squad based, with only two major battles going on with several platoons.
    And I very much doubt Woodman is any different at the moment, it sure wasn't last night.
    Your argument that shotguns ruined small scale engagements is completely false. It's just your personal opinion. In reality it just doesn't happen.
  19. anaverageguy

I'm fairly confident that the shotguns are close to balanced. Not as far off as some people make it out to be.

Their biggest advantage lies in the fact that many players have relatively low fps; with shotguns, the users only need to point and click twice (at most) on-target, whereas with full auto weapons, the aim needs to be held steady.
    If everyone ran with better systems and the game was optimized to run more smoothly, I doubt they'd be as big of an issue.
    • Up x 1
  20. ViXeN

I think decreasing the fire rate of the pump-action shotguns and then removing the slug option entirely from all shotguns would make them completely balanced.
    • Up x 1