Phoenix, should of expected this.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Comptonunhh, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Kortan

ITT:Solo kiddies don't understand the game.
  2. llPendragon

3. Parricidium

Seems pretty simple to me. Lower infantry damage, buff vehicle damage. Launchers are AV tools, encourage their use as such.
  4. Comptonunhh

THANK YOU, someone finally gets it, although the damage doesnt seem to be the problem, I wouldnt expect it to do any more damage to vehicles than the standard launchers, the problem seems to lay alot more in the fact that it isnt able to hit in situations where it should be able to do so easily. Like I said in another post, a weapon could be a 1 shot kill and it wont make much difference if you cant even hit the target its intended to hit.
  5. Carrionghoul

OMG the Phionex doesn't collide with infantry!!! Heaven forbid we instead collide with the ground at the infantries feet and the "splash" damage kills them instead. OMG that is just silly who would try that?!?!?! Oh....half of my 100 deaths today have been from phionex....aparently everyone has tried this.....

if phionex deals infantry damage on a miss, striker should be dumb fire....
  6. Comptonunhh

Phoenix cannot one shot infantry without a direct hit, just sayin... Nor is anyone complaining that its not good enough against infantry, i think it should be worthless against infantry, but not worthless against vehicles like it is currently.
  7. Crewell

Says you. I've used launchers to kill infantry quite a bit. There are a lot of HA who use launchers frequently to kill maxes. There is nothing wrong with the damage of any ESRL except the Lancer (I laughed last night as several tried to damage my Vanguard to little effect).

The counter to the Phoenix is the same as the counter to snipers. Don't stand still. If any change is made to the Phoenix, it should be to give it AP tank round blast radius (as in little to none).

If SOE does nerf infantry damage, it's only rewarding bad players. Also if they nerf it, they best double the range to give the missile a decrnt shot at hitting aerial targets.
  8. llPendragon

I actually haven't experienced much blast radius at all. Firing into a group of infantry would get me one kill or nothing.
  9. Crewell

It has a splash about equal to a HEAT tank round. Granted it's hard to get an exact idea how large it is when the rocket explodes, you can't tell how close you truly were, but see the hit register.
  10. GreatWhiteYeti

This was my night for the most part. I don't stand still, since doing so is basically death. I move from cover to cover, the usual FPS standards, etc.

It's a rocket launcher you can snipe with from behind cover. Quit your ********.

Mar 24, 11:38:19 PM Bank550
    KILLED BY Esamir
    Phoenix
    Mar 24, 11:33:21 PM Bank550
    KILLED BY Esamir
    Phoenix
    Mar 24, 11:27:39 PM Ohchit
    KILLED BY Esamir
    Phoenix
    Mar 24, 11:23:41 PM Bank550
    KILLED BY Esamir
    Phoenix
    Mar 24, 11:20:50 PM Sibercat
    KILLED BY Esamir
    Phoenix
    Mar 24, 11:20:08 PM Sibercat
    KILLED BY Esamir
    Phoenix
    Mar 24, 11:11:46 PM Sibercat
    KILLED BY Esamir
    Phoenix
    Mar 24, 11:05:21 PM Corion
    KILLED BY Esamir
    Phoenix
  11. Ev3ntHorizon

Sorry you are wrong, the blast animation is large but it is an error, the damage radius is less than an under slung granade, the splash even from less then a meter away is not enough to drop a normal shield
  12. Skypo

I agree that agility of rocket should be improved, but as far as range goes, I think at the end of its range makes the rocket poof in thin air is silly. I suggest that the rocket becomes a dumb fire rocket from that point on, maybe give it bullet drop as well. if its like a vehicle then shouldn't be too hard to make it like someone jumped out of their reaver and watch it glide into its target. Also I would like a self-destruct on the rocket for when you shoot and notice someone is right next to you and your screwed until your rocket hits something.
  13. Comptonunhh

Tested this out today since alot of people seem to be misinformed about it, the phoenix CANNOT kill an infantry without hitting it directly, splash damage no matter how close it is, is negligible. If youre getting killed by the phoenix as infantry you either got hit directly or had no shields/very little health left. Splash radius is also about on par with the falcon max or underslung grenade launcher (very small). But I digress, the issue is not that its too good against infantry, its that its not good enough or able to be used as intended versus vehicles. Give people a reason to shoot at a tank rather than infantry and you'll start seeing them do just that.
  14. Comptonunhh

Just so you know, you can press E and exit the missile control at any time just like you would exit a vehicle. Might help a bit in those situations, although a detonate ability would be nice ( if splash could actually hurt vehicles that is)
  15. hostilechild

Its a vehicle, so this is not true, it hits where the vehicle hits from not you, hitting a tank in the rear while facing its side is possible and 2 hits it.
  16. Tejota

17. GreatWhiteYeti

The video linked by the above person disagrees.

Sure, maybe he was getting "direct hits" with each and every shot. Unfortunately it's RIDICULOUSLY EASY to get "direct hits", since the hitbox for the phoenix missile is f'ing massive. Also, it's an f'ing GUIDED MISSILE.

Anyone saying you "just move" is full of it. That works against dumb-fire missiles. Not missiles that follow you. "It's the same as defending against snipers". No dumb ***, it's not. Snipers have to correct for bullet drop, projectile speed, AND they have to fire from line-of-sight. At current there is NO defense against the phoenix.
  18. Comptonunhh

While it may be hard to avoid a phoenix as inf, the slowest vehicle in the game (vanguard) moving laterally to you can move faster than the phoenix can turn, again pointing out how crap it is at its intended role. This is just more evidence that it needs a decrease in damage to infantry and quite a large buff to maneuverability and range so it can actually be used against moving vehicles reliably.
  19. warmachine1

TODO Phoenix:
    • Remove splash (its AT missile)
    • Even damage to all targets, including infantry/MAX on direct hit
    • Change to dumbfire on max range or after pressing "E" (NO magically vanishing missiles PLZ)
    • Better colisionbox for missile, so it wont colide half of time firing behind fence
    • Better manouverability ?!?
    • Up x 1
  20. llPendragon

You need to play with the Phoenix more before making such a heated comment. In fact, it sounds like you have never played with it at all.
    There is nothing easy about getting direct hits with the Phoenix. The videos showing someone hitting the same spot over and over don't show how long it took them to work out that target trajectory. Or how many times they failed the same shot because the hit box bugged out. The hit box may appear massive at 5 meters from the barrel or it may be 5 meters away from where you are aimed. It's buggy as heIl right now, and is never "easy".

The Phoenix user does have to account for projectile speed. The rocket is slow, so everything has to be lead. Also, the rocket can not be turned in the first 5-10 meters, and can only be fired about 20 degrees off from your expected point of impact, which means that the only way to be out of line of sight is to sit waaaaaaay back from everything and curve the rocket over several seconds. The Phoenix may not have bullet drop, but a bullet doesn't disappear at a random distance or when the sniper is killed.
    In a one-on-one scenario, a sniper will be able to fire on the Phoenix user, cloak, move out of the rocket's way if the HA wasn't killed by one bullet, fire again while the HA tries to exit the guidance screen, tea bag the dead HA, then repeat the process 30 more times before looking for ammo.
    Anyone using a Phoenix to counter snipe is either desperate or only alive because they weren't seen yet.
    • Up x 1