Lancer - Initial Thoughts

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Sabreur, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Shurrikken

so much fuss about ESL and the outcome for us VS is the lancer....really? I know it will be buffed later, but even with better accuracy it would be underwhelming to say the very least.

damage is too low compared to how long it takes to charge -> one of these attributes needs tweaking.

just compare the AV turret to the lancer, both AV solutions for the same price, for different classes, what would you pick? :eek:
    the lancer is just bad right now
  2. Novmiech

It is not accurate enough (should be pin-point). This is going to be addressed today with a buff to its accuracy from 0.5 ADS to 0.3 - that said why not 0.1?

I also think its not damaging enough at max charge. It doesn't need much more but it needs a little.
  3. Mefi

No one needs a weapon that requires a pocket squad to use.
    • Up x 2
  4. Bubbalicious

Initial thoughts on the Lancer.... Based upon the testing it pretty much blows and is clearly at the bottom of the damage charts. Would not waste any SC on it.
  5. VanuSovereignty

People are saying it's OK that the weapon is garbage because it can be used in teams! But why does the VS get a lackluster weapon compared to the striker and the phoenix in both the team use category, and the solo use category?
  6. nitram1000

It literally has no use. I bought it yesterday and can't find a use for it, for distant targets I use my annihilator because the damage drop off for the lancer is horrific and I might aswell be shooting fairy dust and up close I use my decimator because you are so vulnerable while using the Lancer up close and a full charge doesn't even do the same damage as an S1 standard rocket lol.

It would be vastly improved if we could charge out of ADS and then choose when to unleash the shot, right now you have about 0.75 seconds to find your target after fully charging before it will automatically fire.

Basically it is a very ****e weapon that I regret purchasing and will definitely stay away from empire specific stuff in the future.

The TR Striker you could happily pull at any point and be confident that you can take out tanks and aircraft.
    The NC can again, feel confident that you have a tool that can take out aircraft, vehicles and infantry ( yes I know it is not easy but it can be done)
    The Lancer has no use against infantry, quite difficult to hit anything but a hovering ESF and only useful against medium range tanks, who will know exactly where you are once you shoot.

I would say it possibly the worst gun I have ever used in any FPS.
  7. nitram1000

Yeh I find it funny that the VS is the only Launcher that requires teams to be effective yet we have by far the lowest population lol.
  8. machinech

meh I personally find the Lancer to be rather godly when you take the time to put yourself and the weapon in proper advantage. The biggest thing about it is that this weapon is only as good as your aim. If you cannot do so well, and learn it's quirks you won't get much out of it. I find I can rip through veh's and harrass infantry with no problem. Moving targets are a learn to aim issue at best. I've seen alot of complaints about damage, specifically vs infantry.... why in the world would you be focusing heavy anti veh weapons on infantry in anything but a you got caught with your pants down scenario? If you want to derp infantry with hvy weapons use the default launcher. (hint even says it's good for infantry) Aside from that anyone trying to convince you that hitting a veh with the Lancer is somehow less efficient/harder then with a dumbfire... is trying to sell you something.
  9. Dawgpound12

Seeing as the NC launcher is abused to kill infantry I feel like the Lancer should be able to as well.
  10. Crewell

Right now (not counting the update going in at this moment) the Lancer seemed to me the most underwhelming of the three ESL. It's damage fully charged seemed a little low. A full charged shot to me should do decimator damage, and it seemed to be about standard launcher damage at full charge.

It is the best anti-infantry rocket of the new ones. The Striker can't dumbfire onto infantry and the Phoenix rockets often pass right through infantry (prob due to lag) so you need to try and aim near the ground to hit them.
  11. Konfuzfanten

The problem is that a lot of guys, me inc, use the launcher as an infantry suppression + MAX killing weapon. The Lancer fails on both points.

Then you can say that the Lancer replaces the anni, but the problem is then that the anni has a longer range and is more effective at taking down aircrafts.
  12. VanuSovereignty

Hardly the best AI. Can't even oneshot with a headshot. Once the Phoenix's camera is fixed there will be no doubt about its AI capabilities.

It also deals as much damage as the G2A and G2G lockons.
  13. machinech

Fair nuff, as I said it's def a personal preference thing. I have little trouble hitting infantry an maxes with it between med an long range. Solo I can harass but not devestate veh's an such. With another squady or god forbid 4+ of us with engy support... well we've leveled a veh charge an made aircraft find something else to do just as fast as any burster crew. Trick was focused disciplined fire using single shot.

I too agree that the default launcher is more effective, when you can land shots, then the lancer vs infantry. Then again I like not having to wait for the travel time of the missile. I don't mind the trade in dmg an splash for the ability to do dmg almost immediately. I'm personally very interested to see what folks think about it after a week or two of practice with them. I think the sniper mentality folks are gonna get more mileage outa this thing.
  14. Deathcapt

The problem with all the new launchers is that their big strong point is that they're easier to hit enemies with. The Lancer is like a sniper rocket, The Pheonix can course correct, the striker is just a beefed up anihilator, with better alpha damage. The phoenix and the Lancer are both high alpha potential, low' DPS, which inherently makes them team weapons. The striker is actually the best lone wolf weapon, while the lancer is the worst. At maximum range the phoenix is landing a shot maybe every 8s, with travel time and reload time, giving it roughly 1/2 the dps of the default launchers in exchange for semi indirect fire, and longer effective range with no lock-on. The lancer has about the same dps, but you must gain line of sight for the shot. I would put the pheonix about on par with the lancer, and being VERY situational, while I would put the striker at the top, slightly above the anihilator in strength.

personally, I'd rather the striker be more like an miniaturized version of the ESF rocket pods, than another lock-on launcher. The pheonix is o.k. but the initial launch needs to be slowed way down, and then accelerate towards the target. If you want to shoot over something and use it indirectly, now, by the time you bring the rocket back down, you're 200m out, and only have 100m to find and hit a target.
  15. Crewell

I agree with that after todays fix. In fact I was able to steer a Phoenix rocket over a turret to hit the engineer in the head with one today after the fix for a headshot kill with a rocket.

The Lancer needs love. I retested and a full charge headshot will not kill infantry. That's WRONG.
  16. haldolium

The worst firearm ever put in any game. Ever. And that was even clear before they released it.

Go home Lancer. You may leave your sounds behind, they are great.
  17. AssaultPig

It's... okay. I unlocked it with certs because I wanted to mess with it in the wild, and I'm planning on getting a re-cert whenever those come out anyway.

It fits basically the same niche as the annihilator, but (imo) it's more fun to shoot. It really favors 1) getting into high-angle positions and 2) having a group with you. The lack of a lock warning and the relatively short time you need to be exposed when firing once you get used to the charge up time make it tough for tanks to respond.

Unfortunately it's damage is fairly weak and that's gonna make it unattractive to a lot of people who either primarily solo or get mad that they aren't getting a lot of personal kills (or both.) I don't think they can buff it's damage much without making it too powerful either, since once you get some practice with it you won't miss many shots.

Being able to charge out of ADS will help a lot since that'll make it easier to pop up and fire. I also think its charge times ought to be inverted; right now it takes a fairly long time to go from a level 1 charge to level 2, a shorter time from 2-3, and you can hold level three for an even shorter time before it fires on its own. I'd like to see it go from 1-2 quickly, take a slightly longer time to go from 2-3, and be able to hold a level 3 charge for much longer. This would make it a bit more usable at long range (more time to pop up/aim) and would hopefully make the level 2 charge a lot more attractive at short to medium distance (i.e., for shooting MAXes.)
  18. freeze

here are some clips + my opinion of it right now:

• Up x 1
  19. Otulien

Agreed.

If our new pistol is going to be anything like the Lancer, I want nothing to do with it.
  20. Mefi

As a kill stealer it works perfectly fine. Though it requires some skills to be that greedy *******.