I Play to Kill

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Diamond Sword, Mar 22, 2013.

1. CletusMcGuilly

You know the spawn/teleporter room is a way better, much more centralized place to get your 1337 killz. And that's the problem with that gaming style, and why it rages PTFO players so much. Because when we're trying to push out and take/retake a base you're perfectly content with sitting on your *** padding your k/d and probably shooting me in the *** on my way out the door.
  2. SinerAthin

Killing the enemy is a good thing, as it gives your faction a larger freedom of operation.
    Trying to minimise your deaths is wastefull when you have infinite respawns, and thus a bad thing.

I oppose KDR because it as a stat changes the focus in a wrong direction.

Maybe instead of KDR we should have Kills-Per-Hour? This isn't a no-respawn Deathmatch.

But, if you truly play a game just to kill and care about your deaths; would't it be better to find a game that was tailored around a dedicated Deathmatch mode?
  3. Niamar

I am the opposite, I don't care how many times I have to die to push you out of the area. I am that guy that kills the sunderer, destroy's the beacon, takes your spawn point. I would rather destroy 4 sundy's than kill 30 people.
    • Up x 2
  4. Mxiter

Agree. I prefer killing 1 sunderer than killing 100guys.
    It's those kinds of action that win battles.
    Just killing ennemies? i just do it when my outfit reach the warpgate while others outfits cap the last territories.

Camping spawns and sunderer is so boring.
  5. turtlestation

The cool thing about PS2 is the amount of choice you have. I can roll by myself, go lonewolfing and try to mow down groups of enemies with autoshotties, or I can roll with my outfit and be the best team player I can. There are so many roles and ways to play those roles that you shouldn't limit yourself to one goal or one outlook. This is probably the most sandboxy multiplayer FPS ever made and it should be enjoyed that way.

tl;dr - you're missing out on a lot of fun experiences if you limit yourself to one playstyle, whether it be KDR hounding or strictly support.
  6. Jagdwyre

In my opinion:

Shooting people = Cake and Pie.
    Playing Objectives(and support actions) = Meat and Potatoes.

It's all satisfying.
    • Up x 3
  7. cheesefry

cool story.
  8. Worph

Most of you and especially the OP are making more than valid points, but you seem to forget one big thing though.

The game has a huge strategic potential, that can't really be used due to a seemingly infinite amount of reasons (Ghostcapping and The Crown only to name two.) Of course nobody should be forced to bother with strategy at any point if they don't want to. That's why it's only a handful of people leading (successful) squads, platoons and outfits.
    Those players are, from my experience, usually way less interested in the FPS-perspective of the game, rather than the mentioned strategic one, which shouldn't bother anyone.

And there certainly is a sort of meta-layer to this game, where you need to make decisions regarding where you send your 48-ppl-random-zerg-squad. There are obviously better and worse places at almost every single time. But the game, like I said, doesn't support those approaches as much as it could be. For all those k/d guys out there who don't give a **** about this meta game, a quick example.

If there is a huge squad and that squad is send on a way were they are able to flank a huge incoming tank Zerg on Indar, everyone in that Empire, whether or not they are in that squad, now has a bigger advantage to have having an even bigger k/d ratio. Which is something a -pure- k/d person can only be welcoming.

SOE just has to provide enough mechanics that such an approach has longer lasting and more severe consequences, than it currently does, while still maintaining as much freedom regarding FPS- or RTS-gameplay, so that the playerbase can evolve a 'meta' by itself, like OP mentioned it. It's just not the case yet, imo.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm also usually more of an FPS person myself. But even on a low scale you can make strategical decisions that not directly affect your k/d ratio in any way or stop you from killing stuff. You could either go the the Crown or to a Bio lab, which both have huge fights going on, but one of those potentially restricts the game from becoming less "Crown TDM" instead of a multisided Planetside, with regularly different settings and situations. Although both provide a platform for equally high k/d ratios.

I may have interpreted OP and this thread as people saying there are potentially too many people asking for META and not really understanding why they don't just shoot stuff with a little more wit. Not that anything would be wrong with that.
  9. Egonieser

As i've mentioned in another post, this game requires best of both worlds: Rambos and Leaders.
    Leader with the brain in strategics and Rambos that do the sharpshooting and dirty work.
    Let leaders do the leading and brainstorming and Rambos the killing and pillaging as you can't win without both, everything somehow benefits your faction, in a large or small scale, every killed player is a window of opportunity for someone else (or yourself) to do something. Every capped base is another window of opportunity to cap further (or whatever benefits it gives).
    Some people care about deaths, some don't, it's all fair.
    Everything is useful here, even if it's a brief distraction for the enemy.

I personally play depending on the mood and situation... Sometimes i lone-wolf in the crown.... Sometimes me and the outfit go on a all-out offensive/capture of the continent.... Sometimes i just lolpod the **** out of all the Sunderers and MBT's, or drive one myself... I have a bit of everything as i really have no preferred playstyle in a combined arms game. And i support players of ALL playstyles, be they farmers, cappers or leaders, this game needs them ALL.
  10. Diamond Sword

Challenge Accepted: I will cap a base that no one is at.

As for "helping your team...": You can't win the war. It isn't possible. It will wage on forever, no matter how long or how often you hold/take a continent. Going to the objectives for kills doesn't mean I don't deal with the objective. I go to a generator, kill everything defending it, wait a bit for more waves and when it starts getting thin, I destabalize the generator and get more people coming to fix it that I can kill. Then I can sit on it even longer, defending it from being repaired by engineers.

Whereas the people I see in-game that constantly ***** at people to get on the objectives or saying that objectives are more important than KDR, will run into the gen room, and if they don't get murdered by a mine or an enemy soldier, they will destabalize it and run off to the next objective while another enemy just comes back and stops the gen from blowing up. Or they go around converting the cap points, but never defend them so they are immediately taken back.

I am doing far more to help my faction secure an area by having the primary goal of "kill all mother****ers" than having a primary goal of "activate and capture all mother****ers in a never-ending loop."
  11. WalrusJones

That is cool that killing is your only desire of a game, but I generally either play to win (This,) or plays to survive (Basically everything that supports non-trash lives.)

Both of them go much faster if I cut off our ability to kill each other after a respawn without 5 minutes of traveling.
  12. smokemaker

"Problem is that you are not dooing anything usefull for you faction by simply killing people..."
    Not here for my faction. I am here for me.
    I play solo with no allegiance to anyone other then myself.
  13. smokemaker

"And that's the problem with that gaming style, and why it rages PTFO players so much. Because when we're trying to push out and take/retake a base you're perfectly content with sitting on your ***..."
    I could not care less if my camping makes a "PTFO" player but hurt.
  14. smokemaker

"Trying to minimise your deaths is wastefull when you have infinite respawns, and thus a bad thing."
    Only in your minds eye. I play as if my life was really on the line.

"But, if you truly play a game just to kill and care about your deaths; would't it be better to find a game that was tailored around a dedicated Deathmatch mode?"
    Nope. I use the objective to herd all my targets close together. I use the games objectives against the players that are PTFO and kill them.
  15. Sebastien

If you look at WoW everyone fights on the roads
  16. daicon

I like that OP plays exactly how he likes to play. I think there should be even more types of rolls in PS2 and no single way to play.

However I also care about the game enough to want it to move in the right direction. The intelligent KDR discussion isn't about trying to condition your playstyle, but is more about what's good for the game in the long term.

Myself, I play PS2 to feel like I'm in a warzone. When I play LA I like to pretend I'm a cutthroat commando, as an HA I play abit more on the frontlines and I'm more likely to rush out if I see a teammate in danger. I like that feeling like I just saved a fellow soldier's life without using some sort of rezzing device.

I come from a shooter roots too, maybe even earlier than you. They're my favorite type of game. It doesn't validate your statements though. PS2 is and always will be much more than just an FPS to me, but I understand that lots of people want to treat it like yet another disposable F2P shooter.
  17. CletusMcGuilly

Exactly my point.
  18. unsinnsschmierer

Killing is the most enjoyable thing to do in this game. If I kill a bunch of people but we loose the base, I'm happy. If we take the base but I get killed a bunch of times, I'm not happy.

That said, I wouldn't mind if the game had some more strategical depth, I might even join an outfit and play in squads.
  19. foesjoe

Well said, OP.

I have the most fun when I can murder the largest number of enemies in the smallest amount of time.
    This usually involves getting to a capture point / generator / SCU and murdering everybody before I complete the objective. Once the area is clear I flip the point or overload the SCU and wait for the next wave of defenders to arrive.

Though, in my opinion, there are objectives beyond the obvious in this game. Such as taking out enemy spawn sunderers, spawn beacons and heavy tanks. Doing that is also hugely satisfying and usually involves murdering lots of people.

Sure, it's pretty hard to maintain an insanely high K/D ratio this way, but it's just the most fun for me. I like to go where the action is, where I'll encounter resistance. You might think it's more fun / useful / whatever to zerg across a continent and flip uncontested hexes. I find that stuff a snooze fest.

Also, @all the people who say killing enemies is useless, consider this:
    Every enemy you kill is one less body to defend their generators or overload yours. Killing somebody usually takes them out of the fight for at least 20 to 30 seconds. Depending on where their spawn is, it can be even longer.
    How is that not useful to my faction? How do you propose you could capture a base or overload a generator if nobody bothered to kill the enemies defending it?
  20. SinerAthin

But playing as if your life was on the line is still wasteful to the team effort ;P

What's the point of playing in an enviroment where not everyone play to kill?

Wouldn't it be better to find like-minded individuals and play against them to truly decide who is the best virtual player killer?