Dogfighting etiquette - "you can't kill me - only I can kill me!"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Robin, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Tekuila

When I get 90 exp instead of 700 I tend to get pissed off and rightly so. Kids need to accept defeat and just die.
  2. LanceHavenbay

Lol. Go home kid, stop trying to troll.
    There is a video posted (by myself) in this thread about 400m Large COF A2A missiles. Go watch it before you come QQ to me about how terribly hard it is to use A2A missiles.
  3. phungus420

They were nerfed and now take considerable skill to use and IMO are just as good as rocket pods in that you sacrifice the ability to attack ground to have improved ability to kill air much more effectively. My Reaver with a shotgun and AB pods is pretty much as lethal to air as my mossy with A2Am that has twice as many certs invested.

You just want to be a special snowflake. You must suck in the sky if you can't handle A2Am, it's really that simple. And again, try them now that they have been fixed or rather nerfed to a sane level before spouting off. Good luck.
  4. bodmans

in the 20 minutes that i had time to play with a decent connection i pulled a scythe to help the small platoon i joined. they were taking the closest amp to the amerish(which was TR dominated) wg. i was seemingly the only scythe in the air and started to harras the 4 groundpounder mossies. after surprisingly more that 3 minutes of random dogfights i had forced 1 down to 20% hp, he tried to(crash)land to get away, i sent a missile after him. boom, i get xp. i manage to get 2 more assist before i am forced to the ground as well.

thats how it should go, ive had more decon's and suicides in 1v1's than i died in 1v1's and i die a lot
    i also hate when i pop my 3rd or 4th mag into an ungaurded sundie, to see it decon just before i kill it
  5. Diamond Sword

The simple solution to the decon thing would be to make vehicles unable to decon if their health is in the red zone, since this is when people most commonly decon anything.
  6. RageMasterUK

Some lame pilots would just decon earlier, I guarantee you that. Deconning is an indicator of a very low standard of player in my experience...
  7. bodmans

or just add a 5-10 sec timer in which you cant control the vehicle
  8. phungus420

That will solve nothing. People like me will just intentionally crash our ESFs.

How do you not understand this?
  9. Diamond Sword

I said it would solve the decon thing. I didn't say it would solve the idiot problem.
  10. kamenjar

Again, it has been suggested that the person who applied the most damage within a time window of say 10-20 seconds gets full XP for the vehicle (if crashed or deconstructed) and your kill XP AND kill awarded (if you suicided). You can add this code to Deconstruct logic too. If you want to deconstruct or bail, that's not my problem. My problem is the lost 90% of the XP and no kill.

This is not the only game that handles this issue in this particular way - BF3 for example.
  11. RageMasterUK

Phungus we are operating on the logic that if you remove combat-decon you also credit damage dealers for target suicides... we're not entirely stupid.
    Ultimately its about getting credit where credit is due, and not allowing the bottomfeeders any denial of XP chance except a daring escape...
  12. desktop

if there was space combat there would be nothing to crash into and no where to run if you bailed out. i doubt anyone would make a 10 page thread on the forums about escape pods.
  13. Diamond Sword

If the main argument is the loss of XP from the bad pilots crashing/deconning, you could do what they did for ground-to-air damage; you simply get chunks of XP as you deal damage to the craft in intervals similar to repairing/healing. Tweak the amount you get per-chunk, or adjust how often you reach these chunks, and it could be a good solution to the problem, while not negatively impacting the casuals who just want to fly, even though they aren't good.

I notice that some of the suggestions would include punishing the bad pilot, and this is never a good option from the point of view of the developer; you don't want to ostracize any of your players, and punishing them is a good way to do just that.

They would if you were unable to shoot the escape pods. Heh, I do this in X3 a lot. If a pilot bails out, I not only claim their ship for my own, I also scoop up the ejected pilot and sell him into slavery :D
  14. phungus420

Why would we make this assumption?

Higby stated deconing is being looked at and will likely be fixed.

It does not follow that intentionally crashing is receiving the same attention.
  15. TheRealTripWire

If I recall, vehicle destruction resets the timers of at least one of the vehicles (I forget which one(s) ), if not all of them. If that's the case though, that's one very good reason to deconstruct before the vehicle is destroyed. If the vehicle timer weren't reset it wouldn't be as big of an issue.
  16. Parricidium

In dogfights, I usually crash into a wall or the ground.

But that's totally unintentional and because I'm a terrible pilot.
  17. kamenjar

Unless something changed, deconstructing used not to refund the timer or resources. It was intended for you to deconstruct your vehicle if you intended to abandon ('m done with my flash ride) it so that the enemy doesn't get a kill for something that's abandoned.

That is fine, as long as SOE credits us with the vehicle and your kill.
  18. Valeriu

hit the ground at the right angle and hit eject and you dont die.....its about staying alive not "robbing" you of XP.

Besides, and ESF pilot compaining about bad sportsmanship? lol....can we all say lolpods?
  19. desktop

If he crashed you simply didnt get the kill in time. The kill is awarded to the ground, you should respect its strength since there is no victory when a pilot fights the ground.
  20. Valeriu

So pretty much every ESF pilot who uses lolpods then ?