Why ghost capping should not be lauded, not criticized

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Teegeeack, Mar 21, 2013.

1. drNovikov

Smart people do that on purpose to split your platoon.
    • Up x 2
  2. -Zlodey-

They start like this:

These "smart people" just make our game boring, but not changed the result - continent lock.
    We can regroup fast, if needed, and attack in any place on front.
  3. Czuuk

Is it OK that I like that you don't like it? Cause that's pretty much why I do it. :D And we lol all the way to the bank.
  4. -Zlodey-

I hope, everything will be ok with new hex-lattice system :)
    I have better and more fun ideas to troll enemy platoons. I don`t like ghosthacking just because its extremely boring. I know, I`m tryed to do it :)
  5. UKAvenger

Everyone is different. Its got to be part of the game, dont like it? dont do it. Dont like it being done against you? tough.

I remember in PlanetSide 'ghost' capping was often required (not talking about an entire cont) to initiate a fight by provoking a response. Sometimes it would take a while to get that response but it was often worth it. Thats how fights start. At least in PS anyway. In PS2 are we going to have people on every cont all the time and its just a case of 'cap this map' being a win condition. I'm not sure i understand where the endgame is going. Global strategy via an good intercontinental lattice network? (bloody miles off that one i think now) or just enforced 3 ways on 'maps'.(why did a game do it 10 years ago but this hasn't)

If they put in the new hex system (lattice) then this you will find, may be more worth doing, and more worth stopping. Currently the interconnected mess that is the hex layout we have now is the problem at the moment.
    • Up x 1
  6. Czuuk

No. I enjoy capping continents. I use ghost capping because I understand strategy. As defined by such figures as Tsun Tzu. When you are weak, show you are strong. When you are strong, show you are weak. When you face superior numbers, divide and conquer. Wear a sword to the bath. Those types of things.

But I've got plenty of time to send my little birds over to adjacent territories to start ghost caps on everything that we touch in order to frustrate and confuse my opponents. It works quite well. Mostly. They're learning though. Damn them. They do that it seems.

You however...
  7. drNovikov

They look smarter than that TR zerg. Is it really fun to sit in a cowardtank and spam a spawnroom with HE form a safe distance?
  8. -Zlodey-

And I fully agree with this point.

Any faction zerg, if its not based on big outfit ops, are stupid.

I know Tsun Tzu. Too bad its imposible in PS2 - with all that "enemy activity" on map. We need some hex info cloacking in the future.
    • Up x 1
  9. Doublefrost

I enjoy it, sure. When you whack all those moles, your empire's territory tends to grow while the enemy's shrinks. If all you do is sit in a Lightning spamming HEAT downrange or plodding through the biggest battles, you're missing out on the rest of the game. Now, that's what I call sad.
  10. Czuuk

No. This fight probably started hours before you showed up.
  11. Sevre

Exactly the problem with this lattice and anti-lattice debate going on. Ghost capping and back capping have been lumped into one category.

While I understand the point the OP is making, It's really a measure of balance. Do I think the thorns that my ghost hackers create in the enemies defense equal to the annoyance caused by enemy ghost cappers? In my opinion one single man should not be able to flip a base. But at the same time I think back hacking is a VERY legitimate tactic to help reroute enemies or help influence the rest of the map. Small squads should be required to take bases and outposts, not just one guy.

People keep saying we need something that simulates supply lines. Well the hex system does this. Supply lines, in essence, mean you have to pay attention to the ENTIRE map, not just your one territory. Well that's what influence and hexes create. If you are defending a base and shirk your responsibility to defend the surrounding territories from small squads, then you SHOULD feel the effect. It's a massive game, but that doesn't mean we all have to be in the SAME battle at once. It's about dominating the entire map. Influence does help create a small simulation of a supply line. However, I would approve of something in addition to it to help take care of the crown problem - ie some sort of attrition should take effect if a territory is completely cut off.

Finally, however, I do not believe the new lattice system is the answer. There were way simpler ways to eliminate the ghost capping problem (not the same as a squad dedicating their operations to tertiary targets to ultimately help the empire). For example, require at least one person on each point to continue the hack, and it freezes the hack if any one is off the point. But instead of a very simple solution, SOE decides to redesign the entire map. And they'll do the same for esamir and Amerish for continuity of design. Which means more man power focused on redesigning maps instead of creating new maps.
    • Up x 1
  12. -Zlodey-

Its started right here. All russian TR outfits on Miller involved.
    • Up x 1
  13. lambusado

Have you guys seen the new anti ghost caping maps, if not you should.
  14. Czuuk

I have to disagree. Ghost capping is not a problem. It is a strategy. There is no way to eliminate the ability to divide the zerg with strategy. The only problem is that "ghost capping" as it has become known is considered a problem.
  15. -Zlodey-

Its skilless boredom.
    • Up x 1
  16. Czuuk

I suppose all battles begin the moment you arrive. Splendid.
  17. UKAvenger

If ive read it and forgot, sorry but, does anyone know the plan for the capture system if they put the lattice in. Or will influence still be in effect its just visually on the map the connections will be shown differently? (<i assume that)

Sevre yeah. I suppose they could make it so that if you are 1/6 on a cap point it takes a very long time to capture an area. Oh sorry i just remembered, will a hex capture if A+B+C have 0/6 on them but are yours? If thats the case then it shouldnt. 0/6 should = a reversion of status within a short time.
  18. Czuuk

Did I mention that we're ghost capping while the main force is taking on the primary objective against a divided force or do I have to spell it out for you in Russian?
  19. Valeriu

So you enjoy just mindlessly running into the meatgrinder or zerging bases in a tank column....go play a traditional fps. Its quite sad how you are missing out on the fun strategic sandbox nature of ps2 and instead of being tactically aware and keeping an eye on the map and responding, you want to sit in one place and cert farm, thereby ignoring the mainattraction of this game, large scale strategy
  20. -Zlodey-

Off cource! Here I`am! :)