Since TTK won't be raised just give us Shotgun Armor like Flak Armor. I would be willing to pay SC.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rustler, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Fenrisk

Shotguns do 200% more DPS then a SMG and 1 shot kills players with nanoweive 5 on top of that. Both are classed as SHORT range CQC weapons. So in the same grouping SMG's fall short by 200%.

If the devs are not going to balance guns in the same range and group then we need cert option to protect against the I WIN BUTTONS of the shotgunside 2 zerg.
  2. Xind

I will point out Semi-Automatic shotguns and SMGs have extremely close TTK values. While the Pump action is superior to both of those groups. My point being, SMGs throw the gun balance out of whack all the same as shotguns.
  3. SharpeShooter

so people with LMG, and AR etc will still be able to own shotgun users at range? mmmm somewhat one sided if you ask me.
  4. RovingDeath

My counter to the shotgun is a MAX. With TWO shotguns!
  5. Rustler

I see your point except I can actually take on SMG's on very close quarters...same can't be said about shotguns.

Like I said SMG's sweet spot is between ADS and hipfire range.....So they can strafe fast because when they hipfire they have a super small reticule at a certain range where all other guns (LMG's,AR,Carbines,etc) either need to sacrafice strafing speed for accuracy or they can hipfire but have meh accuracy.

But SMG is no way near OP like shotguns at very close range, not saying they are a fair gun howerver, they might need to be tweaked as well.
  6. Rustler

Well the Shotgun armor will make the fight competitive at close range...shotgun people will still have an edge however, not like how it is now.
  7. Xind

As long as that is understood. I don't see how anyone can call for nerfs on shotguns without also calling for them on SMGs. Both weapons invalidate usage of the rest of the weapon types at close/medium ranges.
  8. Fenrisk

Shotgun's do 200% more DPS then a SMG and SMG's can't 1 shot kill

That's not close by any definition in terms of TTK.

SMG's do far less DPS and can't 1 shot kill.
  9. Xind

Please do not use DPS as a method of examining weapon power in this game. No one hits every shot without interference in the minimum amount of time required to make them. That is not common, nor viable if there are multiple enemies with situational awareness.

SMGs kill in less than .6 seconds.
    Pump action shotguns kill instantly within 4m.
    Semi-automatic shotguns take about .2 seconds? I believe.

All of these weapons kill by a substantial factor faster than ARs, Carbine and LMGs.

Why don't you bring up Sniper Rifles? Which kill in the same speed as Pump Actions or Semi-autos depending if head or body shots and they do it from an extreme range advantage?
  10. SharpeShooter

Na I still don't agree with you. I have been owned by shotguns plenty but the number of people with shotguns I have WTF owned at medium to long range with my TRV is FAR higher than the number of people that have owned me with shotguns. You might rule close up but a pistol can kill you well before you will even get the enemies shields down with a shotgun at range. Slug ammunition might need a nerf or even removed, but shotguns should kill close up.
  11. Sharpe

Shotgun armor?

lol

I thought all you "X killed me, it's OP" left Planetside 2 already?

Have your own folks in the squad with shotguns do the first wave into a building / send a MAX in first / conc nade, flash nade / keep range from entering points / use a shotgun, SMG.

It's not supposed to be balanced - if you let a shotgun user get within 5 meters of you, and you're not using an equally specific close quarters weapon you SHOULD die.
    Just like that shotgun guy is going to die if you see him before he gets close.
    Stop crying nerf, adapt to things the best you can in any given situation.
    Your empire will have shotgun users of their own doing the same thing - have them close to you to help you in those very close quarters fights.

The game is balanced, stop trying to mold it to your playstyles.
  12. RageMasterUK

Whoever suggested that Flak armor should provide a protection from buckshot, I think that a very sensible idea...
    • Up x 1
  13. DuckSauce

Not a PSA. :confused:
  14. Fenrisk

DPS has always been a extremely important factor in gameplay with any weapon. Damage per second has and will always be the most important stat for most weapons in any game including planetside 2.

YOU said weapons in the SAME GROUP. Both shotguns and SMG's are in the same weapons group. Short range weapons but shotguns completely out DPS SMG's by 200% and have the ability to 1 shot players. No one can argue that it isn't unbalanced. Either SMG's damage needs a boost or shotguns need nerfing down to their level.

At mid range without slugs both shotguns and SMG's fail but SMG's don't have the option of slug ammo.
    Pump action shotguns have a 1 shot range of 10m and a 2 shot range of 30-50m if you use slugs and can aim like the snipers do but without the gun sway.

Head shots take skill at the range that sniper rifles are used and can't 1 shot players with nanoweive 5 and have to deal with gun sway and VERY VERY VERY slow rates of fire.. Shotguns don't require head shots, have no gun sway and have a insane ROF hence the 200% more damage per second.

To balance shotguns they need to make it so pump action's can ONLY 1 shot players without nanoweave and reduce their DPS to that of SMG's. Since DPS does not matter right?
  15. Zaik

will not save you from being one shot by a pump action or two shot by any other shotgun in the game.

It has literally no effect on shotguns whatsoever.
  16. Xind

Continue using lock on game concepts like DPS in a game where until the last patch being hit by an enemy destroyed your ability to aim.
    Continue lumping Semi-automatic shotguns and pump actions into the same category when they are a marked level of power from each other. And by all means, discount the fact that SMGs kill 200% faster than any Assault Rifle, Carbine, or LMG. Also discount how close someone has to actually get to you to one shot you with a shotgun. While it does have more than 10-15m practical range, claiming 2 shots at 35m is a little ridiculous. That requires some extreme pellet spread luck to do reliably. But the moment a pump action shotgun doesn't one shot you, it's TTK becomes staggering close to that of an SMG, which you seem fine with. This happens at any range outside of 4m where the pellet spreads random nature can cause you to miss shots that you'd think were impossible to miss.

You must get rolled by shotguns a lot while you're trying to snipe people. *chuckles sarcasticly*

Shotguns with slug ammo also become quite terrible at close range.
    Pump actions go from 1 to 2 shots and the rest go from 2 to 3 shots.

In reference to weapon grouping, I was talking about his list of guns, but I suppose you could easily misinterpret that.

I would personally prefer Pump Actions and SMGs be removed from the game as they remove the value of the rest of the weapons we already had available at close/medium range. And since Long range is already dominated by sniper rifles, I feel like there's almost no reason to have carbines/Lmgs/ARs anymore.
  17. PCVeteran

Firstly a point on DPS. DPS in a FPS is not the same as in a MMO that you never miss in. If I have a DPS of 10 and I can shoot 10 rounds a secound my posible max DPS is 10. If I miss 4 rounds of that it drops to 6 DPS. If I switch my gun to semi-auto. My DPS can be anything below 10. Becuase I might shoot slower or I might hit with far more rounds. If we are playing WOW then DPS is everything. In PS2 its just a guide.
    • Up x 1
  18. PCVeteran

I have an idea for a posible shotgun fix.

Have the first shot only able to drop shields to 0, and the secound shot will then effect the health. Then you can only one shot a player with no shields.

The one thing I find in FPS that add shotguns is they preform very well for what they do, as in real life, but the other weapons are toned down so we can get the hero effect (Being able to suddenly turn around and shoot back, or get to cover befroe out health is gone.) Then the shotguns always seem to strong, as everything else is less effective then what we see in the real world.
  19. anaverageguy

Rather than implementing a completely new suit option just to counter shotgun users, I think giving a small amount of resistance/survivability to the existing flak or nanoweave armors, or perhaps the supposedly-less-used adv shield capacitor, would be best.
  20. Xasapis

That's a pretty good idea actually. Right now the default infantry armor for pretty much everything is the flak armor. Some diversity would definitely be nice.

Either that or give nanoweave some resistance to shotgun fire. Then it would be more of a choice between using an anti explosive armor or anti infantry one. As it is the choice is a non brainer (and quite boring).