The Lattice is a false Messiah. Think twice. (illustrated rant)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Being@RT

To me it seems like the only ones for Rush Lanes are those who prefer not to think.

See, I can do it too =)

Sorry. I'm getting tired of these discussions and arguments not going anywhere. Nobody is convincing anyone of anything and the devs remain silent.
    • Up x 4
  2. Ronin Oni

I can think just fine.

What I cannot do is (nor anyone else) coordinate the masses into quick reactionary forces, with dedicated recon teams who do nothing but silently track the enemy (of course getting no certs) to ensure we can properly set up ahead of the enemy....

Whatever, doesn't matter. Why? Cause SOE agrees with my view :D
  3. Cowboyhomer

I dont avoid combat at all. I usually always head to the "enemy platoons detected" areas. I like to fight. Im just not in love with the lattice system.
    • Up x 2
  4. rocketchicken

SONY IS RIGHT TO DUMB DOWN THIS GAME.

5 illustrated reasons, just like the OP:

1.) Ever had someone in platoon or squad ask what do to, or where to go?

b.) Ever heard of someone quitting because the game is too boring?

4.) Ever heard someone complain that they can never seem to find out where people are fighting?

(note: these four points aren't aimed at new players, but rather, veteran players.)

I hear people in platoons/squads with these questions/comments/complaint every single day. This game is too complicated for the average user, and guess what, that means you. Most likely, if you can even read this, you - YES YOU - don't know what the difference between "strategy" and "tactics". Most likely you are going to go google these words right now just so you can tell me that you know. Don't bother, I already know you don't know. You are one of these people, most probably one of the people from column 1.), who just needs some help figuring out where to go and what to do. You're an idiot.

DON'T KILL YOURSELF!
    So what if you're an idiot? Most people are. You have a lot of supporters! You are the majority! For now, just understand that The Lattice is like a cookie, and it's a cookie that Sony wants you to eat and it has ZERO CALORIES!

Eat the cookie, it will make the game better for everyone.

Upvote if you like cookies.
    • Up x 3
  5. Cowboyhomer

I dont think that a three sided front line, with as many players that will be forced into them, is going to have a wrong base is my point. Every base on the line will have people in it and it will just be seesawing back and forth.
  6. DuckSauce

False messiah? Overblown thread title much?
  7. iccle

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  8. Autarkis

I really don't see how it'll differ from now. The lattice isn't magic - it just narrows down the number of places where forces can clash over territory. The Crown is already super-populated all the time, so it'll hardly be a change, and there will still be alternatives for people to fight over.
    • Up x 2
  9. VSMars

Any outfit can already find a big fight nearly anytime it wants. All it takes is a /tell to a few select officers of similar enemy outfits.
    • Up x 2
  10. Cyanide

That's not how outfit combat works, and I genuinely feel sorry for you not having experienced it.
  11. VSMars

That's how reality works though. We have inter-faction communication; use it. Be sure that others do whenever all they need is a "big fight".
    • Up x 1
  12. Cyanide

No offense, but that's incredibly stupid. If I wanted to play MLG, I'd go play CoD.

I mean, really. What made PlanetSide great, and what will make PlanetSide 2 great is that there is always going to be a big battle happening, and it'll be over something that matters. If you're not interested in the metagame, and just want a deathmatch, that's fine, but that's not what a lot of players are after.
  13. The Shermanator

I have to wonder why we were ever able to capture continents, then.

And before you try to claim that all continent captures are done when no one's online, don't be a dingus. I have seen plenty of cont caps when the enemy had a meaningful resistance and cont locks will just make it harder for zergs to avoid one another without this new rail system that makes small outfits and squads obsolete.
    • Up x 1
  14. Leo Di Caprio

Linearity is always the solution to sandbox problems, yup, there are bases that will eventually be the demise of this system.

And yes, early beta, having separate and spread capture points worked along with influence, the problem was that people did not want to take on "sidecap" jobs in order to push for the facility caps, they wanted action at the main zerg point and often lost the exp from capping the main facilities while defending sidecaps.

This game was changed based on vet feedback while the devs had something else in mind, this is why it has sunk into the current chaos we have now filled with one way steamrolls of zergs.

Come up with a way to keep sidecaps filled with players, other than galaxy spawns and you have yourself a working game.

And now we balance bases towards lattice...
    • Up x 1
  15. Cyanide

From my understanding, 'side caps' as it were, are going to be required to assault the base, meaning they'll be large conflict areas as well. Think PlanetSide 1 tower fights.
  16. Cyanide

Please explain how your small outfit is obsolete, because of the lattice system. If you say "Because we can't ghost cap" I'm going to punch you through your screen.

If I were running a small scale outfit, I'd want to take my group out to a fight, and focus on a single objective within a base, like say.. holding a gen room, or keeping the SCU down. You can still operate efficiently, and as an outfit. Too often is the word 'zerg' used in place of 'large group'. For all you know, the 'zergs' you see could be well co-ordinated outfits. Planetside is all about large fights. That's what sets it apart from Call of Duty and Battlefield which are small 'squad actions'.
  17. The Shermanator

Because our strategic options are limited and we are funneled down the exact same avenues as the zerg, of course.
    • Up x 3
  18. Cyanide

What strategic options did you have other than supporting your empire's offensive at major locations, or ghost capping?

None, because without an actual metagame, which would be painful with the current hexmap system, everything we all do is absolutely meaningless. We aren't forcing people off continents, we aren't gaining a tactical advantage in the overall fight, we're just capping territory, and -empty- territory in a lot of these die-hard "MUH OPTIONZ" people's cases. And then we lose that same territory mere minutes after we leave. It's a cycle, and it goes on and on. It's not 'helping the overall cause', it's not streamlined, and it's not fun.

Something else all these "MUH OPTIONZ" guys who keep whining about having to fight in large battles don't understand, is that we're meant to be fighting on OVER 12 CONTINENTS when the game's content is all there. We're going to have a FOURTH continent before the lattice is released as well.
    • Up x 1
  19. The Shermanator

Capping surrounding territories to isolate the target of the zerg, for one. This is often not a case of ghost capping, as we do face resistance at those surrounding points and we slow armored reinforcement to the territory.

Summing up people's arguments with perversions of their words like 'muh options' is cute, but it just goes to show the mental capacity of the individuals who are in favor of this funnel system. Strategic encirclement is made practically a non-issue and the only direction from now on is forward, rather than sideways. This rendition of the PS1 Lattice system just turns the game into a one-dimensional zerg fest and little else.

For people who enjoyed smaller scale engagements, the game will die. All this because the developers are caving in to an egotistical brat named Buzzcutpsycho and his legion of fanboys who weren't able to cope with enemies who outwitted their zergs with strategic mobility. Higby even used the exact same vocabulary as Buzz in his announcement of the prototype system, which makes it even more blatant and disgusting.

If your concern is that zergs tend to avoid one another, that gets addressed with simple continent locking. All the lattice does is remove small scale engagements from the game, reducing 'muh options' as a player and forcing players with lower end machines into battles where their frame rate will tank. Less people playing means less money for SoE, and less people to share this game with.
    • Up x 5
  20. Cyanide

So, you're saying the lattice means a smaller scale tower fight will never happen. If you can actually -prove- this, be my guest. You're only assuming this is the case because people will have a well defined path to follow. PlanetSide 1 used the lattice system, but there were still small scale engagements, and it wasn't the huge zerg fest that people think PS2 will turn into. But, I really do have to ask. If you hate large battles, why do you play PlanetSide? That's it's chief marketing angle. Big battles. "Size matters".

Also, framerate issues. Oh, framerate issues. Prior to GU4, many people were getting pretty good performance out of the game. I don't know what they did to break it, but they are working on fixing it. By the time this releases, assuming it gets past testing phase - terrible FPS issues should be a non issue.

The biggest thing I don't understand though, and maybe you can help me understand this- Is why are people complaining about something that's not implemented yet, and that's going to appear on a test server well before it's ever implemented? We're going to have the chance to test it, modify it, or scrap it. People keep acting like it's going to make or break the game without even having seen it in action before. I agree with SOE, and Buzz when they say it could help fix some of the issues that currently make the game less than it could be. What do people have against trying something new?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.