higby giving info right now.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GSZenith, Mar 17, 2013.

1. r1stormrider

planetside 2 going e-sports wont be the death of it, but i can say for certain that at this point in time its not going to help it at all. if anything its just going to cause even more complaints when its flaws are brought to the spotlight in an MLG setting. this game must be fixed first before this already dumb idea can be implemented.

PS2 is not an e-sports kind of game, its about massive scale combat which other FPS games do not have. leave the e-sports in the land of CoD/BF3. a poster brought up the road map thread about this and how we should post on there and downvote it if we do not like it. well it can have a heaps of negative votes but the devs wont listen to that. they obviously want to move forward with this idea whether our feedback is taken into consideration or not.

best advice: if you dont like the e-sports part of this game, just dont participate. i sure as hell wont be, nor will any of my friends for that matter.
    • Up x 1
  2. OgreMarkX

I'd like the dev's, especially Higby and then Smedley, to please research the Great 2008 Debacle that was....WARHAMMER ONLINE.

Faction/Class imbalance? Check.
    Pop issues (stacked sides and losing players while claiming otherwise through "metrics" aka Govt issued jobs numbers during an election year)? Check.
    Incomplete aspects of the game? Check.
    Server instability and game code not capable of supporting prime selling point (massive warfare). Check.
    Dev's focused on podcasts and things ancillary to the core product? CHECK
    Players stating this over and over? Check.

Please oh please don't be Warhammer Online.

Sony...you had me at Everquest...the MMO I've been active in since 1999.

You're losing my faith here...I get that this game, and it's sheer battle sizes, is hard. I get it. But you keep killing the game with these patches and now the focus on marketing SC and MLG...ugh....why can't you see what damage you're doing? Seriously, if you're engaged in any kind of "Steering Committee" right now...just STAHP IT.
    • Up x 5
  3. WalrusJones

Achilles heels are amazing for balance.
    • Up x 1
  4. Zan_Aus

Man, you just have to listen to actual e-sport players to realise how seriously they take balance. Every aspect of a game is gone over with a micrometer and if everything isn't a perfectly balanced scale they won't play it.

This game is so far from e-sport ready I can't imagine how it will ever fly. There's just way too much imbalance, cheese and randomness which is fine in a war simulator but not in a tight tournament map fight. "Oh look, team 1 has taken the vehicle pad and spawned a Prowler ... and blown up the whole of team 2 ... twice ... three times ..."
  5. Fanaticalist

The path to riches does not go through MLG. I suppose what they're hoping for is a small, dedicated fan base that would like to play Planetside for many, many years. Something like the financial not-success that was Planetside 1. I suppose they will be able to find just enough hardcore players to barely survive for another 10 years.

*facepalm*
  6. sosolidshoe

Fixed.
  7. Rhinzual

Is it true that if MLG fails for PS2, that Smed/SOE will view PS2 as a failure and then just shut the game down?
  8. CHDT65

So true.

I play PS2, because I want to be part of a combat, of a war, not interested at all in a "game" with "gamers" with a "gaming" attitude, with instant satisfaction required.
    I want to play PS2, not some kind of "Counter-Strike" specifically aimed for "kidz" or for "competitive" semi-professional maniacs.

I want that MASSIVE battles stay as they are, not some kind of console fights in almost closed areas with "objectives".

Basically, I play PS2, because PS2 is not COD-like.
    • Up x 1
  9. Paltry Porridge

Hmmm.... what?
  10. Takoita

You honestly think carv9 can give you any advantage? The nearest analogue to orion TR have is MSW-R, which has much shorter effective range then orion.
  11. Olek

Great, the player base is drying up and now they want to create death match and capture the flag tournaments? it's going to take players away from the main game, and they want to add another map on top of this?
    They must really think this is going to bring in new players.
  12. Takoita

Very limited effective range. NC has better selection of carbines.
    • Up x 1
  13. ThundaHawkPS

50 more rounds on a 750 RPM gun is a big deal, yeah.

Lynx is the total package as far as carbines go. Better at range than GD7/VX6 with 33% more capacity and and the ADS movespeed.
  14. Takoita

Those 50 rounds won't help you much if you die before you can get off even 30, especially with that poor accuracy. We have access to VR, you can try it for yourself. Lynx is very good at CQC but you'd better not try hitting anything past NV scope visible range - the same as all TR carbines.
  15. evilduck

the myth of the overpowered nc max...

you know that:
    - even the smallest building in the game has 2 doors
    - most buildings, especially the ones with with capture points have 4 to 8 doors and often several windows, so you have multiple entrypoints
    - that even in biodomes and in almost any building in the game 95% of all combat takes place outside of the instagib range of the nc max and 80% in the cant do jack(piep) range of a nc max
    - c4 is your friend
    - ever heard of slicing the pie
    - that you have a 33% chance to engage the nc max at a range where he is just target practice for you

the nc max shines in a very very specific scenario and is laughably bad in every other situation. yes, this is balance.
    the nc max can instagib you if you are standing right before him. but he has a very small ammocapacity and crippling reloadtimes. and yes, this is balance

...and critisizing good teamplay in a teamgame is a bit meh
    • Up x 1
  16. Takoita

But non-NC MAX don't shine at all. And that is the problem.
  17. ThundaHawkPS

If I played invested in my TR heavy from the start I'd have over 1.7 kills per minute with the Carv9 (it's at 1.5 per minute now, but I used it without adrenaline shield/max armor. That's more than I could achieve with NC LMG's on my main.

Very often I get to fire the full Carv9 mag without dying. You just need to aim well and position yourself. The accuracy is fine at medium ranges.

The Lynx is still more effective at medium range than the specialized long range carbines (ACX, Razor, Pulsar C) are at close range. With the first shot advantage + ADS movespeed + weight of fire a Lynx can beat LMGs at medium ranges while chewing them up close. It's about as total package as carbines get in this game.
  18. evilduck

personally i think the tr max with double chaingun is a serious threat to me, i would trade the shotguns of our max anytime for these thingies. much more versatility, much more usefull in the majority of scenarios...

and i died a lot to the vs max too
    so i dont see this "we are totally underperforming" scenarios you are all so loud about. and if there is a case in point here, how about discussing how to buff the other maxes instead of crying for nerfs of the nc max?

...and just for the record, i dont have a scattermax (because of useless 95% of the time), i just have an antiair max (which is fun to play because of his teamfocus)
  19. Takoita

The stats listed in the weapon spreadsheet state otherwise. Unless I'm mixing something up?
  20. Takoita

Where did I say anything about nerfing anything in this discussion? I'd be glad if my MAX got buffed instead - 'nerf the outlier' tactic in most cases just spreads misery in a bit more even fashion. You must be mistaking me with someone else.