I am shocked at how good the Nyx is for VS

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by illgot, Mar 14, 2013.

1. illgot

2 head shot kill, pretty fast shots since it is automatic. No weapon sway. Silencer and forward grip are the only real upgrades you need.

This is so much better than the Spectre and Phantom.

Anyone else finding the Nyx an awesome weapon?
  2. kingskorpio80

I am confuse by your post, please note nynx is a semi auto scout rifle, all 3 faction have same rifle with different skin.
    I am at loss on why you would use a forward grip on it.
    It is not a bad weapon, is severely limited by small ammo clip of 10 though, 15 20 would make it good in my opinion.
  3. Shurrikken

discovered the nyx for me aswell a few days ago, brilliant weapon, although I would say the flash supressor is the way to go instead of the supressor. you will notice the difference on the long range shots.
  4. Tnsr

He is right in a way. The Vanu Infiltrator weapons (beside the bolt actions) have no bullet drop, which makes the semi automatics useable weapons with a fair chance. Instead of the 11.25 or 7.5 bullet drop the vanu counterparts can do headshots with ease even with low powered scope and without the need to messure how high you have to aim above the head for a headshot. The Artemis is the only automatic scout rifle worth using as it has no damage drop off over distance and no bullet drop. Insanely unbalanced over the other two factions automatic scout rifles.
    I know many people will say I am insane to say this, but my rating of the Infiltrator class overall is:

VS > TR > NC

VS has more viable weapon options than the other two faction, more damage, no bullet drop. Only standard sidearm sucks.
    TR has a built in SMG as a sidearm. Unbeatable compared to the other factions pistols.
    NC has the best starter gear, but the buyable weapons are not better or worse than those of the other factions (VS) and TR have the better sidearm.
  5. ManicUndies

To this end, I still don't quite understand why the other two factions also have monster 1hk bolt action rifles. I thought the NC were supposed to be the "hard-hitting" faction. And yet when it comes to sniper rifles, we don't hit harder than anybody. I get that people would complain about not having a bolt-action that can 1hk with headshots, but I think that SOE hasn't really given NC players what they were promised as our weapons don't particularly deal more damage. Especially considering how the low rate of fire cripples the TTK on most of the NC weapons, it just seems silly.

Oh well, it's just whining from my end. I can still manage a decent K/D, it's just that when our weapons have such a higher learning curve, it really puts off new users from joining the NC. I mean, it's gotten so bad that most NC go for weapons more similar to their TR counterparts like the GD-7F or the GD-10 Blitz (I even see HAs running these!) because the damage increase on the more NC styled weapons like the Gauss Rifle or Gauss SAW is minimal compared to the stupid slow RoF and high recoil.

TL;DR - I was promised AK-47s vs M16s, yet someone seems to have shipped us the wrong bullets.
  6. Ztiller

And vanu was supposed to lack bullet drop. Yet we still have bullet drop on a lot of weapons, including the Bolt-Actions. Probably because it was not balanced without it.
  7. ManicUndies

Probably. I'd be fine with them not having bullet drop if the damage drop off was extreme enough that they couldn't get 1hk headshots outside of 80m.

(I'd probably be playing VS if your guns didn't look like fish.)
  8. sosolidshoe

'scuse me? VS weapons don't do more damage, you chancer, they do LESS over a distance than the other factions because they have a much faster damage dropoff and they degrade one tier further before they bottom out.

And as for the NC; you start with a bolt action that the rest of us have to pay for, your standard sidearm is a more accurate version of the VS -upgrade- sidearm, and you came out best of all three factions with the SMGs since you actually get two choices depending on playstyle, while TR and VS were given straight upgrades when the second batch came out making the first batch a waste of SC/certs.
  9. AngryPlayer

yeah, I can imagine the Nyx with a suppressor would be awesome since you don't have bullet drop. I just found out how much I really like the HSR-1 (TR's Nyx).
  10. Ravenorth

Nyx is a great weapon, but people with nanoweave makes it pretty useless, because against them you need 4-5 bullets at close and medium range to kill them. It should be always 3 shot kill at close range if you ask me.
  11. zaspacer

As Ravenorth notes, the Nyx struggles with its lower Damage output compared to the VA39 Spectre and Phantom. Here is how the Nyx, VA39 Spectre, and Phantom breakdown on their 2x Headshot Kill Ranges:

[IMG]

Data Source:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12

Here are my thoughts from looking at the numbers (from the spreadsheet link above) and trying them each briefly in the VR Room.

==Phantom==
    It has no scope over 4x, so that's a wash for me personally since I like using the 6x scope on my 2x Headshot guns.

==Nyx==
    Pros:
    1) NO AIM SWAY (!!!)
    2) can get a 6x scope attachment
    3) a lot of attachments to customize loadouts (including Night Vision)
    4) some really nice attributes versus the other 2 (cone of fire, bloom, reload, etc.)
    Cons:
    1) damage per shot on it is significantly lower
    2) 2x Headshot Kill Ranges for various targets are much lower
    3) costs a lot of Certs or Station Cash (SC)

==VA39 Spectre==
    Pros
    1) 2x Headshot Kill Ranges for various targets are pretty high
    2) free 6x scope attachment (comes on starting gun)
    3) free (starting gun for VS Infiltrator)
    Cons
    1) Aim Sway
    2) No scopes below 6x (if that's your thing)
    3) very few attachments available

Conclusion:
    I am gonna stick with the VA39 Spectre (w/ Suppressor) as my default, all-purpose gun. The Nyx looks like it would be really fun to try in certain situations, so maybe I'll pick one up if Sony does another triple SC deal.
  12. illgot

I don't like the VA39 myself. I have it and hate that it is just an inferior version of the bolt actions. The sway and the 10 round clip drive me nuts. It takes so long to recover from holding your breath that I would rather use the bolt action, hit someone, reload, then have my hold breath option back.

Plus it is 1 hit 1 kill. Not hitting a person once and having them instantly spaz out jumping everywhere.

The Nyx I love as a semi-close to medium range weapon. Nothing really over 100+ meters. Anything more than 100+ meters and I'll just switch to my bolt action.

Anything inside buildings I switch to my SMGs.

For me the Nyx just fills that medium range slot I need.

As for why I stuck Forward Grip on it... well it's more useful than the Flashlight :)
  13. Tnsr

Well, the Nyx and the Spectre have a little more damage drop off, but the Artemis on the other hand has none at all. Your upgradeable sidearm is almost he same as the NC Mag-Shot. The SMGs were an own goal anyway, the first NC SMG sucked balls, it wasn't even an SMG by definition, we only have ONE real SMG, the other faction have two. But those are no infiltrator specific weapons. It's a fact VS Infiltrator have more reasonable weapon choices over the other two factions. I tested a VS Infiltrator, and direct head shots from anywhere makes using semis SO easy. If SOE ever decides to bring out a second batch of semi sniper rifles with faster velocity and a little more damage, the VS advantage will even rise and will be the only factions where semis > bolts.
    Who cares about starter gear anyway. I'll gladly take the worst starter gear if the end equip is the best, that's what counts at the end of the day.
  14. zaspacer

In the interest of game health (player population and character balance across Grind and/or Pay options), we SHOULD be concerned about the powerlevel of the following:

1) Starting Gear
    Nneed it at least "playable" so that new players stick around in the short term until they become #2 or #3 below.

2) Low Budget Gear ("casual player" as defined by Grind and/or Pay options)
    Need it "competitive" with high end gear so that budget players stick around in the long term. Should make it better than #1. Significantly better than #1 in *some* areas (like cloaking, Sunderers, mines, etc.), Marginally better (or equal) than #1 in *some* areas (cloaking, nanoweave, etc.), and Equal to #1 in *some* areas (sniping, hacking, etc.).

3) High Budget Players ("hardcore player" as defined by Grind and/or Pay options)
    Should make it better than #2. Significantly better than #2 in *some* areas (like CQC), Marginally better (or equal) than #2 in *some* areas (like sniping, mines, etc.), and Equal to #2 in *some* areas(hacking, Sundereres, etc.).

SOE should have marketing and sales to seductively ENTICE players to move from #1 to #2, and from #2 to #3. But never at the expense of frustrating #1 and #2 or in taking away whatever niche they are currently able to compete at. SOE and players WANT #1, #2, and #3 supported in the game at those levels:
    #1 = more people joining the game and staying
    #2 = more people in the game as easier targets for #3 and as potential converts to #3
    #3 = income for SOE on the game and as bodies on the filed (and often leadership and support in the community)

NOTE: the examples I listed are just what I see now, you can swap them to other HIGH VALUE areas. Just as long as they're spread around AND in doing so you don't kill a niche that these players REALLY base their style of play/happiness on.
    Attention this kind of nurtured balance keeps each group happy and playing.

Another method is to instead of have ALL units (classes and vehicles) follow this model, you have it so that:
    1) some units are top power level (or close) to starters (??)
    2) some units are top power level (or close) to low budget players (Medic)
    3) some units are top power level to high budget players (ESF)
    • Up x 1
  15. sosolidshoe

I don't have the link handy, so I'm going to need you to find the weapon data spreadsheet I assume you can easily refer to to back up this assertion that the Artemis doesn't suffer from any damage degradation at all.

Yes, the Manticore is almost the same as the Magshot, that's exactly what I said, that it's a less accurate Magshot, ie your starting pistol is superior to our upgrade pistol.

As for the first SMG, you can whinge about whether or not it "fits the definition of an SMG" or not, but lets be honest most guns in this game have only a tangential relation to their "class", and the fact remains that the Cyclone is a very viable weapon due to its extremely high damage; NC can choose between high damage medium ammo medium hipfire accuracy on one hand, and low damage high RoF high accuracy on the other, as it stands anyone who buys the Eridani when they have the option of getting the Sirius is wasting their money, regardless of playstyle, because the Eridani simply doesn't do enough damage per-shot to make up for the Sirius' ability to put more rounds on-target in the same amount of time thanks to its higher RoF and accuracy. People who complain about the Cyclone being useless puzzle the f*** out of me; why are you playing NC if you don't enjoy their main weapon characteristic, ie slower RoF but higher damage, rewarding accuracy? It's like people who say the Mercenary is useless; puh-leez, I would murder a thousand newborns for access to the Mercenary on my VS engi, and that's before I saw MattiAce's youtube videos.

As for our supposed advantage with semi-autos; you're kidding, yes? Anyone who uses a VS semi-auto at the sort of range bullet-drop or its lack start to come into play is daft, because you need to land an extra shot on a full health target due to the additional tier of damage degradation; you might get away with it if you're shooting an AFK deaf-blind player, but anyone with half a brain is going to be moving erratically before you even eat through their shields. If you're using anything more than a 4x scope, you should be using a bolt-action, maybe a 6x if you prefer having more magnification even at shorter distances, but at those ranges the bullet drop on the other faction semi-autos is virtually nonexistent, to the point you don't even have to compensate for it. You have to be sniping from TI or Magrider Hill to the Crown before you even have to start compensating for drop, and in a battle of any size at all that's the very edge of the render distance.

Now, I want it on the record right now: I am not saying that VS are underpowered. I am not whinging or complaining. I am merely correcting the OP's misconceptions because it gets boring hearing how VS are the easymode OP faction from grass-is-greener NC and TR.
  16. Tnsr

Yeah, your problem is the damage drop off of the semis. But that's the only problem of the Vanu semi sniper rifles. That's why I said if they bring out a second batch of semi snipers with more damage where you only need two headshots for a kill would make the VS semi a better sniper rifle than the bolt action. Hell, if they'd bring out a semi sniper with the bullet velocity of 600 or even 650 I would use it as my primary sniper weapon (the Gauss SPR was the first thing I bought with Certs!) and after I got my auraxium medal with the LA80, Impetus and next the Longshot, the Gauss SPR will be my fourth sniper rifle I will do the auraxium with.
  17. zaspacer

I rate the VS budget semi-auto sniper rifle way above the TR and NC versions.

I play Infiltrator on VS (BR 41), TR (BR 18), and NC (BR 12). My primary weapon on all 3 is currently the budget semi-auto sniper and my comments below are from my post here:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...do-vs-snipers-suck.103851/page-2#post-1392732

My current feeling is the semi-autos run best with a Suppressor (to avoid detection) in their operational range. The TR and NC versions (99SV, Gauss SPR) are very limited as with a Suppressor they start to see bullet drop outside of 60m, and after that it starts to drop off pretty fast the farther you get. Without the Suppressor they have the same bullet drop as the budget bolt actions: no bullet drop up to 160m, and gradual bullet drop the farther you get outside of that. But if you're not using a Suppressor, then it really limits closer range combat and in most cases you're better off using a Bolt Action. All this limits the operational usefulness of the 99SV and Gauss SPR.

In contrast, the VS version (VA39 Spectre) with a Suppressor has no bullet drop, at any range. This radically changes the overall operational usefulness of the weapon as you can engage enemy units at any range. Because it is point and click, you do not ever have to worry about rangefinding. This increases the guns operational use speed when you are facing multiple targets at different distances or frequently changing your distances to a specific target. I think it's quieter than the crack of the bolt actions, but you're firing more than one bullet and de-cloaked for longer so it's situational which is better there.

For the longer distances shots where you have calibrated the range (and there are no enemies close by to you), bolt action is the better choice for pure killing power. Especially when one or more snipers are targeting your area (or you are trying to remain concealed/unspotted and minimize time outside of cloak), and you want to take your shot and get moving/cloaked before they can target you. But the VA39 Spectre w/ Suppressor is still very useable at this range, especially if the goal is to harass (say clear an area by getting them to move or disrupting their aiming) rather than purely kill. In addition, because I most often run with the 6x scope on my VA39 Spectre, this also puts it at a severe disadvantage to my field Bolt Action (which I run with the 12x) when not near a terminal where I can swap scopes.

The closer and closer you get, especially distances 150m or so and closer, the VA39 Spectre w/ Suppressor starts to be a much better weapon than the bolt actions in a much wider spectrum of operational uses (the list is long and varied). Especially if you are running the bolt action without a Suppressor. Of note, I use the budget bolt action where the Suppressor really hurts the drop off at bigger ranges, so maybe the fastest bolt actions (RAMS .50M, Longshot, Parallax) work much better w/ Suppressor. If so, please let me know what their effective operational ranges are with the Suppressor.

Where the VA39 Spectre shines the most is in its versatility. If I am gonna be stuck using the same main weapon for multiple styles of engagements (in zerg, in small group, solo, long distance, close, attacking, defending, instant action on a base roof, infiltrating a base, etc.), I greatly prefer the VA39 Spectre. It's my favorite of the weapons to have as a default, just as Infiltrator is my favorite class to have as a default across random scenarios (like you'll get with IA) because of his survivability in more situations. When I have access to a Terminal/Sunderer or addressing a specific type of engagement (sniping at set long distance range, defending a base from a zerg, taking down a vehicle without a turret, etc.) then I will definitely swith out of the VA39 Spectre (or the Infiltrator class entirely) to better address that engagement.

Inside 150m, I am generally as proficient with 1x or 2x headshots, unless the target is really fidgety. But using a bolt action without a Suppressor at closer ranges typically compromises my location and really puts me on a short lifespan. I have used an XM98 with a Suppressor extensively at closer ranges (used to be my "go to" for a long while), but it suffers if you need to switch targets to longer ranges and it doesn't have the same close range uses a VA39 Spectre does.

At close range when the target is aware of you, the VA39 Spectre's hipfire is a big upgrade over the Beamer in most cases (I don't have a Manticore), but with both the NC and the TR you have a much better pistol to use.
  18. Veri

I use the Nyx.
    What caught my attention was no aim sway and 2 head shot kill, and reasonable fire rate.
    Although I have noticed the reduced bullet damage at longer ranges which will require 2 head shots and one to the body at times.
  19. sosolidshoe

Interesting reasoning, but I can't agree with your conclusions I'm afraid. The key to understanding the Suppressor is to know that it doesn't increase bullet drop directly on TR and NC weapons, it decreases bullet velocity, thus causing the gun's basic bullet drop stat to come into effect sooner. It still has that same effect on VS weapons. As you note, that doesn't suddenly make VS weapons have bullet drop, because they never had it to start with and the Suppressor doesn't add it directly, but it does have another effect on VS weapons; they do even less damage over distance, because they're contending with an already-steeper damage drop off curve which goes one tier further than the other factions' equivalents -as a counterpoint to their lacking bullet drop- and with the addition of the lower velocity the range at which they deal useful damage drops even further.

What that means in practical terms is that, at any range where a silenced semi-auto would be effective, the Nyx has a similar TTK against anyone not wearing max-Nanoweave, is even quieter than the semi-auto sniper, doesn't have to deal with the scope-sway and breath holding mechanics, settles back on the target quicker after a shot, and in addition can be used to hipfire to fair effect in CQC with the addition of a Laser Dot. Because of the damage degradation issue, I would hesitate to use either the scout or semi-auto sniper with anything more than a 4x scope, 6x at a push, and in those sorts of engagement distances the Nyx is simply a better weapon for the job - it does the same thing the semi-auto does, but with more versatility and ease of use - it's our best "jack of all trades" weapon, and we have the bolt and the SMG for when we want to specialise.
  20. zaspacer

The Spectre is a BEAST compared to the 99SV and Gauss SPR. The exception being when using them all at inside 60m with a Suppressor, where they all deliver for me.

Again, I run all 3 factions using these weapons EXTENSIVELY. The TR and NC versions frustrate the HECK outta me during mixed range or multi-engagement usage because their effective range is so limited. In contrast, the Spectre is an AMAZINGLY versatile weapon that I can roll into anything with and time after time it delivers for me.

I know you think I'm joking, but I DO use my Spectre w/ Suppressor at long ranges. To kill or to scatter, I use the Spectre very effectively from far out. At (fixed) farther ranges it does not compete in terms of effectiveness with a bolt action, but it crushes Suppressored Nyx, 99SV, and Gauss SPR.

The NO SWAY on the Nyx is AMAZING compared with the Spectre (or any gun with sway). It is by far it's biggest selling point for me.

The recovery from each shot is better, but by such a small amount (at least from limited VR usage and from the numbers) that it's not a big factor for me. Just as the smaller ammo count for the Nyx is lower, but not by an amount that is a big factor for me.

But the damage for ranged sniped shots with a Nyx just doesn't work for me. The kinda variable range I need when operating from wall towers in an Amp Station. I ran the numbers (posted above) and I tried it out in the VR room. Far too often at ranges I wanna be killing at, the Nyx hits 2x headshots and my VR target was still standing. Those same shots with the Spectre were killing my target at those ranges in the VR.

The Nyx FEELS nicer than the Spectre to use, but it just doesn't deliver the stopping power at range spread I need for my "all purpose" playstyle.

For me the "jack of all trades" effectiveness of the Nyx, 99SV, and Gauss SPR drops radically as you get outside of medium range (> ~60-80 for the Nyx, > 60 for the 99SV and Gauss). The Nyx because of it's insufficient damage, the 99SV/Gauss SPR because of their bullet drop aiming complications. In contrast, the Spectre doesn't let me down and gives me unlimited aim and workable stopping power up to 170m.

For the Nyx I have only run the numbers and tested in VR. Maybe using it in the field would make me feel better about it.

For the 99SV/Gauss SPR I have used them extensively in the field. Both frustrate me in the "jack of all trades" department and I would happily trade them for a Spectre for my NC and TR toons. IF they change it so that we can toggle on/off the Suppressor, that would definitely improve the usability of the 99SV and Gauss SPR for me.