Stop adding new content.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ikillyou1990, Mar 15, 2013.

1. ikillyou1990

Title says it all. SOE needs to start fixing all these really stupid performance issues before they release new content. Every update kills the game even more. Right now the game is so buggy that it is nowhere near fair that you hold a x2 XP weekend when the game is near unplayable. Engineers are unable to repair half the time. Medics are unable to heal/revive half the time. Tanks shake all the time. MAJOR FPS issues. The Reaver is near impossible to fly due to severe lag. Server is lagging really hard (shots going through walls/targets). Minimap does not work half the time.

The list goes on and on and on. FIX YOUR GAME ALREADY SOE! STOP ADDING NEW STUFF AND BREAKING THINGS!
    • Up x 15
  2. Bardock-Sama

I was thinking the exact same thing. While I do appreciate having shiny new toys to play with, the game is near unplayable and certainly not enjoyable since GU04. Especially the ridiculously low FPS is a game killer for me.

I wish the devs would concentrate on optimization for a while, maybe dedicate the next GU for more FPS and less server lag.
    • Up x 2
  3. VKhaun

The issues seem to be coming from attempts at performance tweaks causing more harm than good. You can't really fix that by NOT making performance tweaks lol... you just have to hope they make better ones. I don't think anyone blames the rumble seat for the FPS drops, haha.
  4. Brusilov

Performance/bug and content different teams.
    • Up x 1
  5. Hatamoto

Stop it ... just give it a rest
  6. Fubbles

While I really want increased performance as much as the next guy, trust me you do not want artists, animators, level designers, CSRs, legal etc. working on the performance (you wouldn't go to the dentist if your sick or see a doctor if your car doesn't start). There are teams that work only on performance and hopefully they will fix some of the outstanding performance degradation issues introduced in recent updates and get this game stable for the masses. Maybe they need to hire/allocate more resources on performance as I believe it is the #1 reason people leave in this game IMO.
  7. Brusilov

Stop what?
  8. CannedBullets

Yeah, I could care less about new items if the game can't run smoothly.
    • Up x 1
  9. MistaN

Yea and? Stall implementation of weapons. You don't have to stall the creation of new content...just implementation. Give the optimization team a bit of time to get a head start on implementing new content.

TRay said that the optimize all the time but most of the time you don't see an increase in performance cause they use that optimization headroom for new content.
  10. SilverAura

While I do believe that performance is still more of an issue than it should be, there are a few things that are very important to keep in mind before making generic requests like ceasing new content until the issue is fixed.

I'll try to keep this as respectful as possible so if I come across a little arrogant, please don't take it personally.

First off, optimizations are not a simple flip the switch and it works. Unlike consoles, computer hardware varies dramatically. So what might work perfectly fine and have a significant boost on performance for many people, might cause a small group of people to crash very often. Thus the performance boost needs to be disabled. It's still there, it just can't be live until the kinks are worked out.

Secondly, versions of most MMO's are not linear. They seem that way because that's how we receive them, update after update in sequence. However there are many variations of updates being run live on many different test servers. So an issue you're having might already be fixed, but they can't release it yet because of other complications. Just because an update is released that's newer than an update that has a fix you're looking for, doesn't mean they skipped the fix. They simply need to work with it more.

Third, new content has no real impact on the speed of which optimizations and general performance goes. They operate individual teams for a lot of what they do. Telling a creative department whose responsible to create new content to pause their progress doesn't mean they have more manpower to solve performance related issues in the game. The creative teams have very little hand in debugging anything but the content they create.
  11. IceShades

lay off the new content team and use that extra budget to get more ppl to work on optimizing.
    Double XP while game is unplayable XD
    that's rich...
    • Up x 2
  12. kazumi

I agree with this fully. New content is great, I'll never deny that.

However, when you continue to release new content, new bugs, and drastically reduce performance across the board. You gotta step back and pause. I don't know how many months we need to complain SOE before you FIX this. I LOVE PS2, I don't love the bugs, lag, and FPS drops. I also, don't like that fact that SOE hardly replies to these issues. They just pull the covers over their eyes, and hope it "goes away" I think.
    • Up x 1
  13. Brusilov

Hopefully the upcoming test-server will solve some stuff on forehand.
  14. SilverAura

People need to lay off this crazy notion that throwing more people toward debugging is going to magically increase the rate at which bugs are discovered, tracked down, and fixed, or optimizations are somehow made easier and quicker. Debugging is not that linear. It's not a matter of increased people always equals increased productivity. In fact, more people can hinder the progress.

More people broken into smaller specialized teams leads to increased communication to avoid conflicting with one another. One teams fix could lead to a bug in another teams area. There's a happy medium where more people starts to reduce increased productivity before it starts hindering it.

And the notion that double experience weekends don't help any? Really? You've heard of stress tests, right? The more people who play, the more people are likely to discover and report bugs. And reporting bugs does not always mean discovering new bugs, but rather report as many situations where a specific bug occurs and as much information as possible as to the conditions that caused it.

I'm not saying SOE is a greased up, perfectly efficient machine... however their dedication to this game has been impressive compared to what I've seen in the past.
  15. Fubbles

Here I thought we were playing on the test server since November 20th :p
    • Up x 1
  16. Xyphet

You know what would help too? Continent Locking so we can finally be having the majority of server population off of the one continent aka Indar aka single digit frames super fun. Dispersing the server population to fight battles elsewhere I am sure would immensely help the lag issues. Just some food for thought.
  17. Lancener

Well, I didn't know why people were complaining, was running just fine (other than my shield randomly going away when I cloaked, and ammo packs only working from a certain position) and then my FPS suddenly dropped from ~40 to 0, it came back up to about 30, but I couldn't see terrain or characters.

Restarted the game, got killed by my stationary scythe while repairing, retrieved it, repaired it, randomly lost half my life, landed to repair, FPS dropped again, game crashes. So many broken things now, no doubt they'll be fixed, but I don't see how some things become broken when they aren't noted for a change in the patch.

Hopefully they'll patch the broken stuff and have another double exp event to make up for the botched one that probably half the server populations couldn't really enjoy.
  18. LordTankT9

Where not playing for a month up until today. Wanted to see if anything changed, and it does - game become even worse, will be not playing for more. SOE do you understand that that means no money for you? At this moment they should pay me for playing, because it's a torment to play right now.
    • Up x 1
  19. Cryless

soe, concentrate on optimizing the game and forget about adding things for a while!
  20. kazumi

I don't think were crazy. How many testers does it take to notice your arms are behind your back? How many testers does it take to notice outfits are gone? How many testers does it take to notice FPS tanks around any techplant/biodome? Personally I don't think many, but apparently I'm wrong. I realize debugging code is a *** pain. I'm currently working on my degree. I fully realize it. However, it does not take a debugger to notice someones arms are behind their head.

What's worse, is that every update has reduced performance on a fairly sizable crowd. Granted some users have seen gains. But not as many as those who have seen significant loses. No body is expecting some magic update. We don't expect to login one day to a patch that fixes EVERYTHING. Most of us are very logical and understand it will take time. However, what we cannot accept is with every GU we've gone backwards in terms of performance, what we cannot accept is that we keep getting more and more content and less an less optimization fixes (that work).

I use to have blind faith like you in SOE. But four Game updates, and a horde of patches from wave 1 beta testing has slowly gnawed away at my confidence in SOE's ability to fix this mess.