Use a Shotgun or Go Home?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarox, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Cymoril

I dont care what my avatar looks like. Im not a cosmetic buyer.I feel cosmetics are my waste of money over items and I have a membership. Im a item/XP/respec buyer. PWI does it 2x a year. If you screw up and buy the wrong thing they refund (with their cash equivilent). Why wouldnt any other decent buisness?

The longest I have had a sub for any game was 6 and a half years. I wasnt happy that whole time but was left hanging on by "were looking into it, and more expansions." I wont make that mistake again. If its good, I throw money at it. If its trash I dont even play it.
    The people that front MMOs invest their money/time and deserve to be compensated for a job well done like everyone else. Call it pay 2 win or whatever but I feel its more honest to reward the team making the game this way than thru subs that are lied too about fixing problems and delaying real issues. So far these guys at PS2 seem to be fairly honest about fixing issues.
    The billing dept seems to be more dishonest than your typical MMO from my opinion. I understand there are 2 different departments working here. When Ive been burned enough. I will cancel everything and move on, just like any other MMO.

Oh I thought L.O.L. was garbage, thank you for reminding me why I shouldn't retry it.
  2. DeadSudsy

I don't even use a shotgun, and get most of my kills as light assault simply because people don't look up.

Of course most of my deaths as a light assault are to other light assault who do use one. I'm a noob, I'm not good at it, but I see it all the time. If you've got a shotgun or smg, you just keep your head down until you can force a CQC on your opponents, and so the lack of range is no real disadvantage. I'd do it myself if I had the skill, but I'll admit I don't. I try to pull moves like that I don't last 0.1 seconds, but I've seen enemies do it all the time... and I don't think all of them are hacking. In the hands of an experienced player, who already has the advantage of experience, a shotgun just makes them completely unstoppable. Fun I'm sure, but also a great way to make new players feel totally powerless in a fight, and inevitably quit. And before you go l2p, there is a very big difference between losing a fight and feeling totally useless. Losing and dying, I'm fine with that, if you can't handle losing don't play pvp games... but to actually feel helpless and powerfuless in combat, that's not something you want players to feel.
  3. Aghar30

gotta agree with this guy, youd be surprised how many people running with shotguns get murdered by people who are paying attention. Oh and learning from your deaths is quite helpful as well, "Oh I got instantly killed when I walked in that door, I'm gonna run through it again cause he can't possibly still be there" seems to run through most peoples heads.
  4. Fenrisk

When your trying to capture a point or knock out a generator you have to enter that door. Grenades often won't help as their blast radius is small.

Shotguns are the most overpowered frontloaded damage weapons in the game with a rate of fire that isn't even a weakness. They do 50% more dps then any other smg or rifle and they can be used up to 50m with slug ammo. 2 hits and they are down. It's a 1 hit iwinbutton at ranges 15 or 10m or less depending on the shotgun and ammo type.
  5. Aghar30

i will use a Biolab as an example, the gen room on every biolab has 5 entrances, some are right next to your teleport room, some are on the second floor, and one is facing the SCU. that is 5 doors to choose from. If you are an idiot and walk into the same damn door every time, expecting different results well that is your fault.
  6. Fenrisk

I can HEAR which door a player is coming from because of their footsteps. I use that to mow down player with my SMG unless its a shotgunner who can NUB you in a split second or that player has skill and can aim for the head.

Shotguns are skill-less instant kill body shot weapons that do 50% more DPS then any SMG or rifle. That gives any shotgun player a massive advantage even if you get the drop on them. If shotguns were balanced their rate of fire would be triple what it is now or only 1 shot people with a head shot. The defence for shotguns not being overpowered is idiotic.
  7. Aghar30

all i hear is [IMG]
  8. NC4Life

NOOOOO! you're on our side!

Why are you telling people to nerf our OP hacksaw maxes? I have soooo much fun going on 200+ (yes that's TWO HUNDRED PLUS) killstreaks protecting a room
  9. NietCheese

The problem with the shotgun is that it's not forgiving. If you come around the corner with the new SMG and spray and pray, your TTK is just above that of a shotgun. A shotgun is also more heavily impacted by flinch, so come into the room prefiring.

If you know a guy is in there with a shotgun there are also other options. Flash grenade, RPG (also a one shot kill if on target), flanking, frag grenade.

Don't start whinging about slugs being too effective, they have obvious issues too, being very unreliable with a large cone of fire and the fact that you have to stand still to be accurate with slugs at range.
  10. Fenrisk

Typical immature response. Here's a idea? Grow up!

All i hear is people defending the latest in overpowered weapon because they can't aim worth a dam and use the shotgun as a crutch. Anyone with half a brain knows that a weapon with 50% more DPS then any other weapon at CQC and 1 shots on body is overpowered. The devs even made knives 2 shot weapons and their killing range is 1m.
  11. AmazingBob

Hey man, let me pat you on the shoulder! Good job, feel proud!
  12. NietCheese

People like you blame weapons for their deaths instead of their lack of skill. Sometimes nerfs are warranted, but some times we have nonsense like this from guys like you.

Give us a link to your players profile, how many kills do you have with shotguns? For you to demonstrate they are seriously overpowered you must have some solid experience with them? If you don't and you are just whinging because you died to one, then your opinion is worth nothing.

Link your players profile, let's take a look?
    • Up x 1
  13. ColtCommando

Yeah they are pretty dumb. Whenever I kill someone with the haymaker I cant help but laugh at how stupidly easy it is to use. I still prefer the Lynx since I like to remove as much bullet spread as possible from this game but the shotgun is unmatched in CQC if your opponent can aim for the head.
  14. Aegie

Actually, the autoshotguns put out 4,290 DPS whereas the next highest infantry non-shotgun weapon does only 2,013 so actually some shotguns put out over 200% the DPS of the next highest non-shotgun DPS weapon. Same thing as saying they put out over 2x the DPS.

>200%
  15. Isila

This is the hilarious part. Shotguns with slugs are better battle rifles than the battle rifles, and still have huge power up close. That was true even before the pump shotties, now with the pump shotties it's insane; 3-shot people from 4x scope range, 2-shot them up close, instagib on a headshot.
  16. Ennkay

Of course, accidentally buying an item and asking for a refund is acceptable. Where I think it is not is when you have people asking for refunds because their toy isn't overpowered anymore. Items need to be able to change to account for game balance.
  17. ViXeN

No just play smart. I don't use a shotgun and I can usually survive CQC encounters with the average player using a shotgun. I'll admit I do probably die to the shotguns more than anything else in this game other than vehicles but I can kill these guys more often than not in one on one situations. If you run into multiple people with shotguns then i'd suggest dropping a grenade because you're most likely dead either way..

Here are a few simple tips that will help: Don't try to go head to head in a CQC encounter against a shotgun, you will probably die. meaning don't rush straight at them or stand still. The trick is to use cover, whether its an item (pipe, desk, etc....), the corner of a wall or even a friendly player. If no cover is available then strafe while shooting them. Also learn how to bunny hop effectively when you need to. You need to be a moving target if you want to survive. Also play smart, the best thing you can do is get the drop on an opponent regardless of what weapon they have. Seeing them before they see you is the best way to kill someone.

I was messing around with the shotgun in the VR training just to get a good idea of how effective the gun is in CQC and its actually pretty easy to miss. And if they do miss that first shot, you'll kill them easy. Personally I would use an SMG over the shotguns in CQC on this game. I'm probably going to buy one this week.
  18. Zer0range

Those situations are called CQC (Close Quarters Combat). For all other situations you'll lose easily if you use a shotgun.
  19. anaverageguy

I honestly don't think shotguns would be as big of a problem if we all ran this game at 60+ fps. At lower ones, full auto weapons have a distinct disadvantage in that staying on-target is much harder. In such low fps situations, having to point the gun and fire only a maximum of 2 times is a huge advantage.
  20. QQmore

@OP
    Lvl 55 Heavy Assault here. Doing just fine with my Gauss Saw. L2p and quit whining, shotguns are fine.
    • Up x 1