HE Prowler useless now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fluzing, Mar 14, 2013.

1. PLooschacK

No they cannot unless they land a direct hit. Pleaae, don't spread lies.
  2. SmileyBomb

Your OP reads as a complaint searching for support from others. Text cannot convey emotion, of course, but that is all the more reason to word your thoughts carefully if you want to invoke a particular response. Speechwriting 101.

That said, L2P and quite relying on outlandish splash effects when you carry a double barrel and heavy armor. I am actually enjoying the new splash radius and reduced Prowler damage. I've noticed: Gunning a lib requires better aim; TR can't lock down a base with 1-2 Prowlers camping the spawn with HE; and Pilots are using their noseguns more for killing infantry than rocket spam (although it is still there just to screw with your screen). The world of Auraxis is better for it.

I thought it was interesting to read that they reduced the reload time of the Vanguard HE. Sure, there is a reduced blast radius and the vanguard has a single-firing, longer loading cannon that is better for picking off aircraft with AP rounds - but it was still impressive that they gave it a thought.
    • Up x 1
  3. Gary

Holy crap you cannot D: Tested it in the VR area D: Damn i get hit by a lot of tank shells D: apologies!

Scrap that you can and i am doing it now in the VR zone using targets on flat ground shooting next tot hem with a small gap does indeed kill them in one.

twitch.tv/spencley/b/377619824

So my original point stands, the prowler cannot kill infantry at certain places due to the layout of cover not providing enough opportunity to fire both shots. Combined with splash reduction range and other HE changes. it simply cannot do it.
  4. CrashB111

Anchor on a pivot point of a cliff and play teeter-totter everytime you fire.
    • Up x 1
  5. CrashB111

That would make the Prowler worse off against enemy armor, the key here is to change one aspect without hurting the other.
  6. NoctD

If the Vulcan is that awesome, I really wonder why they're so rarely found on Prowlers. At this point in the game, Enforcer ML85 Vanguards are starting to get as commonplace as Saron Mags, while Vulcan Prowlers are 1 in 10 or less than that even.
  7. Gary

I think you are getting mixed up.. it was Magrider HE + Saron HRB ... Vulcan is still a very bad all round weapon and very situational... even less usefull now you engage enemy at range with anchor. It is pitiful against infantry, and enemy tanks usually flank you so you die with 2 shots to the rear :)
  8. LordMondando

Cost?

The entire model of the game revolves around most people either not paying or paying relatively little. A tank secondary gun is a fairly extrenous investment.

It really is that good though. Range limited no doubt. But its devisating to face at close range.

Yeah thats because its only 250 certs.

I personally don't use it as I think it hobbles you against infantry and air. Vulcan is not limited in the same way.
  9. Granveil

Can I ask where the hell you heard this? There are defined roles for each tank, but they sure as hell aren't "anti infantry" or "anti-tank".

The Prowler is meant to be a high speed tank. Both of its unique Secondary weapons, Marauder and Vulcan, are close range weapons. It is supposed to use that speed to flank, or get in close, because it can put on the hurt more than the other two vehicles. Offset by the difficulty in landing both shots, of course.

The Vanguard is a beefier tank meant to stay in fights longer than most other tanks would find welcome. It has tougher frontal armor for that reason, offset by poor maneuverability and long reloads. Its unique AI secondary gun is defensive in nature, while its unique AV secondary gun is pretty plain.

The Magrider is, as you put it, the most maneuverable tank. The ability to strafe gives it a direct advantage to other tanks when engaging directly, as they can keep most of their armor facing their opponent. Not the quickest tank either, low main gun placement is often an issue. Unique AV secondary has very powerful traits for long range combat.

All 3 tanks are supposed to be equally capable at anti-tank or anti-infantry. The Prowler may have been the king of AI, but it wasn't supposed to be.
  10. Compass

Tanks have a small radius of where full damage from splash is dealt. This is the "inner splash radius." Both Vanguards and Magriders have a 2m inner splash radius, where anyone within 2m of the impact site receives full damage, in this case 1000 splash damage, which is lethal to all infantry who don't have flak or nanoweave.
    • Up x 1
  11. siiix

i already did

and i'm not the only one, you infantry-only bozos will be very lonely unless SOE merges all servers together in to 2 ;)

http://sirisian.com/planetside2/population.php?world=all&timezone=-5
    all time low on population since this patch, good luck yal :p

4300 right now ALL servers combined, i would suggest every one to just boycott the game untill this non sense is rolled back, the game is AWFUL every one who cares about how good the game was few months back should get out !
  12. Soylent

If and only if the target is not using flak or nanoweave. And lets be honest here, a huge majority is using flak or nanoweave.
  13. LordMondando

I recall it was a thread dev's were involved in, posibly also a higby tweet or a command center way back in late november.

Thing is I could also ask where your getting that from? Not saying its wrong , indeed prepared to admit I may be wrong. But wonder what your source is.
  14. Lampenfieber

Ahh ok, so to see more people playing the TR needs to have better tanks than the others? dude, just stop to post this kind of things... you are a master troll of this forums or really wants to convince the wrong people who TR need to get better **** than the others to the game dont die.

The population decrease its absolutly normal, if you understand graphics see that. And its natural that one day, the game will close the doors, its natural too! and its not because of game balance only.
  15. NoctD

ML85 is cheap, but Saron isn't. Just about every other Mag has one, even though it hobbles them vs infantry/air. The Vulcan requires a decent gunner as well... a bad gunner will just waste your ammo and not get anything done with it. Cost hasn't kept people from buying Annihilators, 2nd Burster arms, SMGs, pump-action shotguns, etc in this game.

I know the Vulcan is good in the right circumstances, but I see no point wasting SC on it when most gunners won't be able to use it well.
  16. Satanam

As for what I trialed at the VR training zone, it seems like it has a damned recoil, but it's still useful when you hit both shots. HE on Prowler is basically like this...
    Advantage: if you hit like 2 spots of enemies with low~medium HP, you'll get more kills;
    Disadvantage: if you get the first hit and then miss the other one on a 100% HP enemy, you just wasted 1 bullet.

Anyway, as I said, I didn't try it on "real gameplay", but seems like its recoil is a bit higher than it should be for anchored mode.
  17. siiix

its a tank it suppose to tear apart any infantry with out direct hit

with all the new changes

gazillion new rocket launchers for both HA and engy
    triple XP to kill vehicles

i would say if anything ALL vehicles should get a BUFF on damage and not a neft, because other wise its pointless to use a tank , i WILL NOT get in a tank as easy target and let that bozo infantry get an easy 500XP kill

not only that but there should be new upgrade slots so all armor upgrades can be equipped at the same time

i know a few 1000 people disagree on this and this is why many many 1000 people left the game now, most do not even come to the forums to argue anymore, it seems pointless we consider this battle between infantry bozos and people who like all out war lost, i'm actually only come back here to see how the game will fail now do to lack of players and cash flow ;)
  18. Granveil

I partly rescind what I said; I don't have anything to back up what they should, or should not be.

To answer you, though, mostly datamined stats and anecdotal evidence. I don't need a dev to tell me that the Vulcan kills faster than the Saron.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/tank-cannon-info-from-the-game-files.50566/

The Prowler has a high max speed. The Prowler has a double cannon, the recoil of said cannon makes long ranged combat more difficult than for the other two tanks. This cannon also deals more damage, presuming that both rounds hit. Both unique secondaries have low range because of arc in one case and spread in the other. It has a lot of inclinations toward using that speed to flank and get close, where it can apply the most of its damage. Anchor mode evens the odds at a range for its main gun, but still does nothing for its secondary.

So, no, I don't have anyone saying "this is what the prowler is". But we can look at the data, see where there are spikes in power and draw conclusions from that. It is my opinion, though, that the HE advantage for a Prowler was an oversight. It's the only apparent case where a tank has a strict advantage over the others without drawbacks.
  19. Alex Heartnet

Many NC tankers will disagree with you, myself included. The Lighting is the antinfantry tank when your faction MBT is built to fight line battles. I find the Vanguard tends to be a magnet for Heavy Rocket fire and I often end up driving backwards while rockets chip away at my reinforced frontal armor. I couldn't use it as a good anti-infantry platform if I tried.

You actually kinda can kill infantry with it. The blast radius is small, but it does exist. It just takes about a half dozen shots.

The high projectile speed suggests to me that it should be able to hit aircraft the same as a HEAT round, but I find that in those situations the driver tends to be the first one to find a firing solution.

Also, I love shooting ESF's with my main cannon. They really should stop trying to hover anyplace that is not directly above me. If there were more skilled tank drivers around, I'd suspect they would stop hovering at all.

Light Assaults and Inflitrators tend to be wearing things that are not Flak Armor. If you see someone with a jetpack or sniper rifle, then he's a soft target for HEAT rounds.

Nanoweave, wut wut? A small health bonus that doesn't even increase shields isn't really enough to save you from an incoming tank round - one needs Flak Armor for that.

How are you getting flanked in a Prowler by tanks that aren't Lightnings and aren't in a really good position? I always find that it's the Prowler that is trying to get behind me and not the other way around. Vanguards prefer it when both sides are incapable of closing the gap, as normally seen in line battles. As for Vanu, I know from experience that the Magrider is not good at getting behind my slow Vanguard.

Yes, it is getting kinda pointless to drive a tank now that blast damage has been nerfed. But if you are an easy target for infantry, you are driving your tank wrong. True, sometimes you die quickly without being able to do much about it, but on a good run I can spend an hour or more in the same tank without dying. There's much more to driving a tank then just charging in.

Wutwut? Nononono, the sidegrade system doesn't work that way. You either get reinforced front armor, reinforced side armor, or some other gimmick (stealth, autorepair, mineguard). You don't get all of them at once.

And if tank armor gets a buff, it should be to the base armor rating.
  20. siiix

see that is not a good way to play , being like 1000 meters away and shooting from a safe distance is :
    no fun
    does not make enough impact for your team

so i would say make slash damage distance based, you camping with the tank 1000's of meters away you should cause less damage, but if your up close in the REAL battle then buff that damage , your risking your behind to get kills

same for XP bonus taking out vehicles, bigger distance less XP for the kill !