can some one please tell me what the community in general thinks about

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Xidaraf, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Xidaraf

infantry ability to attack aircraft.

aircraft ability to attack infantry.

infantry ability to attack vehicles.

vehicle ability to attack infantry

vehicle ability to attack vehicles in terms of the empire specific tanks

air ability to attack air in terms of Esfs against each other

vehicle ability to attack air

and air ability to attack vehicles
    and what weapons are clearly over powered and under powered
  2. Mefi

We don't have specific statistics.
    This thread will have three kind of players: infantry, pilots and drivers and all of them will say that other ones are screwing their game.
    • Up x 5
  3. Fenrisk

My heavy can kill tanks if he has has plenty of cover. I carry a grounder, C4 and a couple of anti-tank grenades. This lets me kill kill at least 2 tanks or sunderers before i run out of options or ammo. It's not easy but infantry can fight back against tanks. Heavys can solo tanks with some skill.

Infantry vs lolpodders/aircraft is another matter entirely. 4 direct hits with my grounder won't even kill 1 aircraft. Heavys can never solo a aircraft. Even a few heavys with grounders can't stop the lolpod spawn campers. Aircraft have nothing to fear from infantry or grounders.

The grounder needs a damage boost and infantry need more AA weapons.
  4. Duff_Chimp

Everything is fine.

Except a2a lockon users should die in a fire, that is all.
  5. ForeFront0fFear

Regarding splash damage, this is a game breaker. Infantry were never intended to be as good as a tank or an ESF! Why is this game being balanced with the idea that a single infantry spawn should be able to counter a vehicle spawn? For one infantry does not cost resources and is simply not as valuable as a vehicle. And to those players who play solely as infantry that's great but why in the world should that mean you are more powerful than a vehicle whose purpose is to annihilate foot soldiers?

Planetside 2 is about adapting to changing environments, hell the whole game relies on an evolving battlefield. From day to night, storming a facilities walls, to battling in the close quarter biolabs; tossing smokes to obscure movements, or spotting enemies on your flank, this game is about playing to your environment adapting and excelling. Players with the ability to adapt will do great those without will fail.

That said we need constants in the game, the varying damage and effectiveness of vehicles and weapons comes at a price to the community. It makes the game increasingly difficult to return to after a few weeks, after every patch there's a steep learning curve.

EVERY CHANGE YOU MAKE TO THE GAME IS POTENTIALLY RUNNING SOMEONES FUN!!!!!!!!!!
    Well this is great so you nerf splash damage even more making vehicles all but useless until the next patch in which you undue the previous change. At some point you have to look at what you're changing and say hey this isn't working!

STOP tweaking based on onesided information. With every problem you'll only hear one party complain and usually that's the party who lacks the ability to adapt.

Currently it takes anywhere from 8 - 12 breaker rockets to kill ONE (1) soldier. To me this is absurd, for 1000 certs I would expect more! This coupled with the fact that a single burster max can control an airspace of 500 meters and you can begin to understand my frustration. 3x composite armor and I'm still falling victim to burster maxes. PLEASE tell me this splash damage tweak does not touch ESF's!
  6. Xidaraf

I do agree with you with how a single guy or girl shouldn't be as powerful as ESFs and Tanks but multiple infantry working as a team should be able to take a tank down or aircraft with the appropriate weapon and other things, (with the skill factor) and what weapons the aircraft and vehicles are using!

but then if there is something unguarded such as a unguarded lightning, and Empire specific tanks, flashes and perhaps Galaxies it should be able to be taken out with the appropriate weapons not instanly like not taking out a tank instantly on full health, However i have seen on the forums debate over whether an infantry should be able to blow up a unguarded deployed Sunderer with tank mines or C4
    instantly and whether mine-guard has an effect and what you have to give up for mineguard!
  7. Xidaraf

the 2 sides to this debate are A. the people who say that a solo infantry shouldn't be able to kill a Sunderer guarded or unguarded with tank mines alone should require teamwork which is what Planetside2 is about. Whilst people on the other side say that if you let the infantry get to close to your Sunderer than it is your fault for not defending you Sunderer well enough!

what are your guys thoughts on this?
  8. WalrusJones

I rest my case on a second thread.
  9. KingSnuggler

People that whine and demand nerfs cause something killed them, all those guys should drop off a cliff and L2P before they ruin the game completely with their nonsense.
  10. TheRev

And how many resources is that per loadout?
  11. Jaquio

1. Why is the game balanced with the idea that a single person should be able to pull vehicles from virtually all locations at any time with an almost negligible resource cost?

2. If I, as a light assault, use 2 C4 to blow up you, in a lightning, I have spent as many resources to destroy you as you spent to pull that lightning.

As it stands right now, vehicles are way too cheap and way too easy to pull for drivers to be demanding such power over infantry.
  12. WalrusJones

Its all clear to me now.
    THIS is what the community has forgotten in the dozen times this balance argument has cycled.
  13. KAHR-Alpha

Tbh, A2Am are much harder to use now, harder than the rotary, so now I always carry hellfires instead.
  14. Fligsnurt

Here is my opinion, coming from a person who enjoys good combined arms combat.

infantry ability to attack aircraft:
    Its lacking atm but mostly due to the fact that lock on missiles AI is cr*p. All pilots have to do is dive straight at the ground and because the missile attempts to "cut off" the vehicle so it smacks into the ground. Its absolutely game breaking for any attempt of AA by HAs. Bursters are strong but I'm not 100% as to whether they are or are not OP. It all comes down to how many are in an area, how well they can lead, how stupid pilots tend to be trying to bleed out as much xp from one strafing run, and how well they are coordinated and focused on being solely AA.

aircraft ability to attack infantry:
    ATM it is pretty balanced. Aside from lolpods trying to farm infantry and not doing so well (nose gun is more effective.) Good pilots do just fine and they aren't game breaking.

infantry ability to attack vehicles:
    HAs aren't bad, what is bad is the fact that every class aside from Infils have AT designed weapons of some sort. It makes infantry feel stronger then they should be which leads to whining on both sides. Infantry tardrush tanks and either suicide bomb them or die trying. The most effective tactic I have seen in this is a full platoon switch to LA while loosing a base and just spamming LA from the tower spawn. They just fly out and C4 spam any vehicles on the ground level leaving little defense against it. They would just come out, blow up the vehicles and if they didn't die they would try to go resupply to do it again, or just respawn and come back out with more. Infantry should fear vehicles not rush them like they are mere obstacles in their path.

vehicle ability to attack infantry:
    Due to how easy it is to camp a spawn point it can be annoying but most of the time its only an issue when there is 2-3 squads with each person in their own vehicle. Its very spamtastic with each person firing blindly trying to get kills / assists. This leads to a lot of issues on both sides. No one can counter it readily since you have to leave that base undefended to bring a counter to the table unless they are just sitting still surrounding the spawn.

vehicle ability to attack vehicles in terms of the empire specific tanks:
    I like it as is, each vehicle has its pros and cons and each one behaves in its own way, but that only goes so far depending on the players using them. I see a lot of vanguards trying to sit still and shell from a range making them easy targets and I see a lot of prowlers who think that their lockdown will help them win against a target that can fire and move easily avoiding their shots.

air ability to attack air in terms of Esfs against each other:
    I am not much of an air person but I nonstop see people complaining about the use of A2A and how it ruins "dog fighting". AFAIK from what I have heard A2A is worthless atm due to how long you have to keep a target in the crosshairs just to get a lock let alone how many it takes to kill. I don't see A2A dominating the skies, he*l I don't even see people using it all that much, maybe 1 for every 8 people with lolpods.

vehicle ability to attack air:
    Don't see an issue with it atm. If you can lead pretty well and / or get lucky you deserve to knock an ESF out of the sky. Libs are obviously stronger, same with GALs and they take more but you still get AA incentive for hitting them as well. Main turrets cant aim up very high so its a fair trade off on that. The secondaries seem pretty balanced, non of them seem like they can be more effective or even near as effective as a burster or skyguard.

and air ability to attack vehicles:
    Not to bad atm, its a bit discouraging to have a single pass in an ESF absolutely destroy an MBT w/out any way to respond in time (thank you clientside hit detection and how you favor those with higher pings) but its not like they can dominate a column of armor unless every person is so focused on destroying infantry that not a singler person looks up. Which is funny, usually being the first to look up makes me the perfect target for the infantry to whack a mole rockets at instead of the people shooting at them.

and what weapons are clearly over powered and under powered:
    ATM I would say the most unbalanced weapon is the NC MAX. Mainly because its only good at close ranges (under 20m, though there are a few who can dominate any infantry w/in 35m.) and most of the time you will only see them in biolabs hence the comment how they are only good in biolabs. They are extremely strong (too strong against other MAXs) but there is no good way to bring other maxes in line with them w/out leaving them feeling UP to them.

AT mines and C4 depending on how they are used, again with the lemming tardrush tactics seem pretty OP but they aren't bad if you can counter them, unfortunately you can't counter both and a flying LA is pretty hard to take down before he gets to your vehicle while a rushing engy can be easily countered if you see them coming.

UP weapons: Battle Rifles are a huge waste, they are not useful on their own right, high TTKs in comparison to other weapons. They are outshined by all weapons in their own rights, infil's semi auto is better then the BR due to fire-rate vs damage per bullet. The only way to really make them useful for the classes they are given to is to give them a better fire rate (not as good as the fully auto weapons) and bring the damage in-line with that fact. So more damage then NC 200 damage weapons but less damage then the Infil semi-autos but have a fire-rate that allows for 3-4 shots a seconds at fastest.

Other then the BR maybe the scout rifle, now that the SMGs are here there is no reason for the scout rifle to exist and no one uses it. To low of damage to be useful for sniping, to much recoil / too little ammo to be useful on full auto.

And any AA lock on rocket is pretty UP atm since the AI with them seems wonky at best (stated earlier). Its just a waste of time to use them when a default secondary gun on a vehicle is better AA then them. At least you know you have a decent chance of landing a hit if you shoot at them with that.

These are all my opinions on the game. Personally I feel that Infantry should be afraid of vehicles, not tardrushing them like they currently do. But as everything comes down the pipe infantry become more and more powerful in their own right while all vehicles seem to keep getting pushed out of the way. The game has a long way to come but I am still looking forward to how it will turn out 6 months from now.
    • Up x 1
  15. Bubbalicious

Easy answer.

Air to Ground: Way Above Average
    Ground to Air: Low
    Ground to Ground: Average

Overpowered Weapons (aka lolrockets): Rocketpods all factions (Players that use aimbots can 1 shot everything in the game except a Sunderer, Galaxy and Libby)
  16. BalogDerStout

My big complaint was and will continue to be, G2A infantry, with their default newb loadout cannot combat air. They can pull a single burster arm Max, and that's it. Otherwise they have to rely on base turrets and other players. It's always been a problem, and it still is.

It's less of a problem now that people have unlocked the options, but it's a huge turn-off and problem.
  17. Crashsplash

Aye, infantry, in the right place and with the right tactics, can be very strong against tanks. Whenever I am in a tank I have to be very aware of approaching infantry, and I occasionally panic.

I'd say a prowler's biggest threats are infantry, aircraft and other tanks in that order.
  18. Zotamedu

Nah, I'm infantry and I think the game is reasonably balanced now. There are some small tweaks I would like but nothing game breaking. Her's an incomplete list of the top of my head.

Slightly shorter lock in time for the Annihilator. They nerfed it one second too far. The damage is fine. It's a lock on so for balance it really should be weak. I really don't mind it being lock on only either.

Change the way mines work so they can't be used on stationary targets. Running out and throwing mines under a moving tank is fair game. Dropping them on a deployed Sunderer is rather silly. It would be nice if you could carry a lot more of them and if they were cheaper so they were actually useful for anything else than suicide runs.

I can take on a tank with my heavy if I'm smart and the tank is clumsy. I love hunting tanks with my decimator. If I play it right, I can take out a tank all by myself. If I make a mistake or if the driver is smart, I'm dead. But that's part of the fun and it's also one of the reasons for my low K/D. I also quite like that I have to keep and eye out for air. In December, air was too powerful. Then it got too weak. Now we're at a place where it's reasonable. A couple of good pilots can slaughter everything on the ground and air support and air superiority is important. I've seen many massive ground assaults get ground into dust because of a lack of AA and air support.
  19. Duff_Chimp

Lol no. Unless your ********, a2a missiles from max range will screw over any other pilot with just two hits. If you can't track a target from that far away i'm surprised you even manage to keep your aircraft in the sky.
  20. FateJH

All Infantry can shoot at ESFs with their default weapons and cause damage, and the one-arm Burster MAXes can still cause extreme headaches for all Air vehicles.