Thoughts on shotguns?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ih8Darian, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ih8Darian

I just trialed a shotgun (Phobos VX86) and I got a lot of kills while I only died like twice. So I just bought it and got the Extended Mag and IRNV scope, can't wait to try it out more. What are your thoughts on the shotgun?
  2. Robes

Its a lot of fun but very situational.
  3. Aghar30

you got the pump action, they are very nice cqc, ohk to the chest except on heavies with sheild up. but like Robes said, they are situational, if you find yourself out in an open area with a shotty, you are pretty much sniper food.
  4. smokemaker

Shotguns excel at what they are for, up close and personal. They should be top dog in regards to weapons in the 2-3 meters range. As is in game, outside of that range they suck. I think they are working like intended.

love them.
  5. ih8Darian

Do you suggest slug ammo on them?
  6. Devrailis

I suggest dual-wielding the triple-barreled variant.
    • Up x 4
  7. Deathcapt

Just like NC MAXs, they have their place. IMO Pumps need to have a slower refire rate to not make them simply straight upgrades from the default shotgun.
  8. Barley

You want an NC soldiers thoughts on the pump action? Here you go:

The Claaaaaaaaaw!
  9. ih8Darian

How effective is it?
  10. cfnz

I'm not a fan of the design of shotguns. They can be fun but the games idea of short range combat effectiveness is just too short for me. I go through phases of regret over buying one.
  11. ih8Darian

Yeah the design does suck, looks just like a LMG, but for me all i basically do is cqc, unless there's a tank zerg close by or something.
    I'm hoping I don't regret buying it though, because the VX-67 just wasn't cutting it for me as a LA
  12. Morpholine

I usually think, "What just one-shot me? Oh, pump-action."
  13. ih8Darian

A lot of people have been one shotting me with pump actions recently, that inspired me to trial one
  14. queue

Hate them. The game is less fun with them. You end up with a lot of suiciding shotties just sprinting around bases trying to farm as many kills as they can before the base flips. The respawn penalty is too low for frequent deaths using the same spawn point.
  15. RichardDunn

Isn't that the point? It doesn't matter what gun someone is using, they're still going to be doing that.
    • Up x 1
  16. crazyoldfart

I just bought the VS a pump action, but don't see it more deadly than the full auto TR shotty I bought months ago. The full auto is harder to manage ammo with. It will empty in seconds.
  17. WalrusJones

Some people say its good for countersniping like this.

I say, It can only put you down 100 certs.
  18. Sevre

Take it from someone with over 1000 kills with the Haymaker: No need to have anything other than extended mag if you're using buckshot. You should be hipfiring every shot, no time to put your IRNV up when you're running n gunning in CQC. If you can't kill with hipshot then you're out of your optimal range and would die regardless of having any scope on it. So I would just take the IRNV off your shotgun, it takes up an alarming amount of your screen, hugely inhibiting your vision.

For the pump shotgun, slugs do more damage than the other shotties. I've tried my old sluggun + 4x scope build and it can do some good damage, BUT you run out of ammo very quickly, and the bullet drop is insane and you have to pump between each shot. Not as devastating as old sluggun builds prior to their nerf. And It's not nearly as effective as buckshot + maneuverability. But can be useful as an LA if you're foot zerging across a field and need that mid range. But if there's a CQC anywhere in your immediate future do NOT take your sluggun in. It's wildly inaccurate in CQC.

If anything use your IRNV + slugs if It's a mid-range night battle. But do yourself a favor and take off the IRNV for buckshot. It just blocks your vision, and you'll only be successful with hipshooting anyway. You'll get good at hipfiring at night, dont worry.
  19. ih8Darian

Does it effect the one shotting from within 7 meters?
  20. ViXeN

Normally I like shotguns on most games but on games like PS2 and BF3 they aren't really the best idea because of the big open areas and large map sizes. So I don't use them on this game. If you spend most of your time in places like the bio-domes then they would be a good weapon to choose but if you get caught out in the open you're dead.