The Infiltrator Challenge

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Mustarde, Mar 3, 2013.

1. datdudejrod

Alright man, you're on :cool:
  2. AnuErebus

This'll be something I'll have to put in on my list of things to do. I decided a few days ago that I was going to get the Auraxium on the KSR and HSR due to my love of semi-auto rifles and those being the only two I really see as viable in their current state. I just might skip the SOAS since, as you said, that thing is a pile of junk.
  3. Zinus

Tanks/people killed with anti-vehicle turret + Aircarft killed with anti-air turret.
    Hue hue hue hue.
  4. LanceHavenbay

Alpha squad, yes. 6 months worth. Plus the stuff before the reset update
  5. LanceHavenbay

Alpha squad, yes. 6 months worth. Plus the stuff before the reset update
  6. DrTeeth

Resurrecting this thread since I just found out about it from Nuka. I finished about a month ago, and went back to get the PDW done when GU13 came out. I'm not going to count the SC-only weapons, I think that'd be unfair!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Incidentally, after playing with every TR Inf weapon my favourite and most-used is the default semi-sniper, the 99SV. I equip it with a foregrip and leave the sight as the default 6x. With practice this set-up lets you assassinate NW5 turret engis at 300m as well as the heavy running across a small courtyard at 50m, I never feel I've brought the wrong gun.

On the pistol front, I got auraxium with the Repeater and Emperor while doing this, I'm working on the Inquisitor right now. I've always preferred high ROF for a sidearm.
    • Up x 2
  7. Mustarde

Congrats Dr.Teeth! You are #3 on the infiltrator challenge! Well done and keep on sniping :)
  8. Granderil

Didn't see this thread before. I'm too lazy to upload screenshots, but this would be enough i guess: weapon stat
  9. Mustarde

Indeed it would Granderil! #4 :) I may have to make and maintain a list on my blog since you can't go back and edit posts. Good work!

What are your thoughts on the experience of medalling all the flavors of infil weapons (both you and DrTeeth)? Did it make you a better player? What was the easiest/hardest weapon to use? Any words of wisdom?
  10. DrTeeth

I don't know if I have words of wisdom. :) I tried to keep things as much the same as possible - 6x scope for all long-range rifles, 4x scope (the crosshair one) for all medium-range rifles, and 2x or IRNV for the automatics.

I used suppressors on the SMGs only, I found them to basically ruin otherwise decent rifles. :) I'm not concerned with people finding me as I tend to move around, use darts, and my pistols need medals too!

The most difficult to Auraxium I'd say was the semi-auto scout rifle. I found it to be very weak overall. The effective rate of fire due to recoil and COF bloom was too low for the damage each shot did with drop-off. The temptation to fire more quickly just wasted rounds and got you killed. The reserve ammo amount was ridiculously low. Most of the attachments made the rifle worse! I just used 4x and a foregrip and that was it.

Second most difficult was the auto scout rifle. It's actually pretty good, but you have to play to its strengths as it will betray you otherwise. I used it with a 2x and foregrip only, and used "quick bursting" as each bullet was precious. Don't suppress this rifle, or use a laser. You need to make it as precise as possible for its ideal range, and try to engage at that range wherever possible. Do not go full auto unless you're fighting in a phone booth, as your mag will run dry and the angry HA will shred you.

In the end my biggest surprise was how much I enjoyed using the 99SV. When I first started playing PS2 I tried the rifle for a few minutes, couldn't kill anyone, and promptly swapped it for the free SR-7 I got with the alpha squad offer. I didn't go back to it until I had auraxiumed nearly every rifle, 20 days of Inf time, BR100 etc. The second time around, with my greatly increased skill and maxed character I was able to get the most out of it. I love it now, it's my go-to rifle when I want to snipe.
  11. Get2dachoppa

I'm still working on this. About halfway done. Auraxium on every long range BASR, my SMG, and my proxy mines. I'm almost there with the ASR (that small clip is brutal in this world of nanoweave and heavy assaults) and my knife. I'll probably work on the Ghost and the Nyx next and finish with the Spectre and Phantom after that. Slow going for me, I don't get tons of kills a session and I lone wolf it so I don't have any support to rely on to help either.
  12. Sworaven

Just saw this thread! Obtaining the auraxium medal for all primary weapons of the Infiltrator-class has been a personal goal for a long time. A goal that I achieved a couple of weeks ago. I did include SMG's tho.

[IMG]

I know it's not a primary weapon but I just wanted to show off :D

[IMG]

I have to disagree on the SOAS-20, I absolutely love it. Even tho I auraxiumed it, I still use it. But I have heard a lot of people dislike them. Did you auraxium it before or after they got a buff?

For me the most troubling weapons were the HSR-1, KSR-35 and the 99SV. I do have to admit, the HSR-1 takes some getting used to and it did prove to be a very effective weapon in the end. I really had to force myself to get the SASR's done, they're just so frustrating to use. Especially the KSR-35. It has low-magnification scopes but it takes ages to ADS.

What wall might that be :p?
  13. Granderil

Same story with VA39 Spectre :)
  14. DeathSparx

I gotta ask Mustarde: What BR were both you and NukaBazooka when you started the challenge?
  15. NUKABAZOOKA

I can't speak for Mustarde because my memory is rather fuzzy since this happened over 5 months ago, but I think I started in the 70's and ended early 80's, though I had been sniping for longer than that. If I recall correctly he was 5-10 BR's below me.
  16. MrMurdok

...And I thought I was good.

I guess professionals DO have standards.
  17. Hoki

I'm trying to aux my MSW-R and ML-7

Guys, how to say this.. the default dumbfire rockets are a lot of fun.

I sniped a guy on mountainside, barely within render distance, from the bottom of an amp station. With the ML-7 ofc, not an SR-7.

Playing a lot with heavy recently makes me feel like infs should have 2 rifle slots.
  18. AnuErebus

Rocket Launcher counter sniping. One of my favorite things to do against dumb enemy infiltrators. Added benefit, you also easily kill AV turret engies. AI turrets used to be easy kills as well but they've been bugged for a long time now so a rocket doesn't hurt the turret unless you hit the engie dead on.

I recently started playing some heavy again just because I was a little tired of dragging myself through the mud with some of the less useful infiltrator weapons. It's certainly a breath of fresh air and It's terrifying how deadly I am up close. One of the first things that made me laugh was I was on the tower of an amp station about to shoot a guy looking off the edge, I start getting hit from behind, pop the shield, hose down the guy I was looking at before whipping around to kill the guy behind me. I was one something of a power trip for the rest of the session. That said, I still find there are a few roles where an Infil is much more useful. One is charging across open terrain to get to enemy lines and the other obviously is long range combat, nothing beats a bolt-action at 50-60m+. Also as useless as the cloak can seem sometimes it does certainly help with flanking even in the midst of combat.

This challenge is still on my list but since I'm also playing NC a lot of the time now It's going to take some time since that's another whole set of weapons to auraxium. It's nice to see others are still striving for/completing this challenge.
  19. VSDerp

still working on the challenge just hard putting down the parallax.
    • Up x 1
  20. Mustarde

Well done! I think I will try to make a wall on my blog. When I was a noob and initially made this thread, I thought we could edit posts. Since we can't I will try to add something for those who have accomplished "The Challenge". I'm a bit lazy with website stuff so I may put it off until the weekend tho :)

I did the SOAS-20 pre-buff (we posted this in early March, I think GU08 came later that month.) I think what really made it tough was the 20 round magazine with 120 in reserve. Try getting 1160 kills with that!!! It made me a much better shooter though, and when I picked up a carbine weeks later I was shredding people left and right with it.

I use the SOAS-20 from time to time. I like it for what it does, and I think I actually prefer it over the NS-7 SMG - I just tried but couldn't fall in love with that thing.

I think I'm closing on 4000 knife kills now :p

I really like DrTeeth's statement about the 99SV. That was a surprise for me as well. It requires (imo) a completely different style of play. But I routinely ran a 5+ KDR with it, (before medics could artificially inflate your KDR). The threads I made about SASR's discuss many of the negatives, but I guess I didn't really emphasize that used properly, they can be very good.

I will try using the 99SV more often. It's just so hard putting my SR-7 down!!!