Hardcounter to Tanks - especially Prowler

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Strikejk, Feb 22, 2013.

1. RobotDoc

i play VS on connery and often see people running in to swtch to AA heavy and AA max, i notice them cause i am right there with em changing my loadout. Sometimes it goes from no AA to almost all AA...it's kinda funny. The reason is because

A) Im not in a group with assigned roles set up to counter everything
    B) specced for a different role/counter when new threat arrives
    C) air/tanks are such a risk if u dont take em out when they show up then everyone is at risk (Eng, LA, Med, Inf, and the Sundys)
    C) not everyone is certed/wants to play AA,AG so people do it just to help the team as a whole

It's usually the same people running in to switch to AG, AA when the tanks/planes roll in, cause we have the experience/certs for that.

My point is that every tank, plane, and infantry unit is a pain in the **** to kill and OP if u dont have somone certed to get them off your **** for u. The trick is to invite me to your squad, I'll park a sundy by so i can switch AA, AG, quickly to respond to them...so that everyone else can do whatever the hell they r certed in...u cant beat everyone by uself just like i cant..we need each other and it's balanced around that. Im srry u get podded often. I know the feeling. 1HKO r not fun but it comes in many forms in this game, and the only counter is the proper cert, be it mine guard or AA rockets.. i get blown up alot, but I work my **** off keeping tanks and planes off everyone's arses that cant do it themselves. Just like alot of guys work to keep me spawning ,shooting, healed up.

I cert for what i can do and understand that each class just like each vehicle has it's str and weaknesses. If pods kick u ****, and your tank doesnt have an anti pod cert, then run with somone that can handle that and keep dong what you ARE certed for.
    Maybe they are OP, but 1HKO's r a big part of this game. Maybe they should be nerfed a smudge. That's a possibility. How many guys have u 1hko'd though....personally i can kill a prowler in like what 2 or 3 shots in the rear, take out a jet in 2 hits, and 1hko an infantry man in the face with my rocket..but each one of those comes with a risk. None of it's free, and to me that's balanced and fun and rewarding.
  2. JackD

It´s so easy to not get killed by Rocket Pods, if you know what to do.
  3. Rusky

Rocket pods are meant to kill your tank, deal with it.
  4. Munq

This may not be and probably is not his intention. He is simply putting his own perspective (bias) into the discussion which creates very misleading introductory to discussion of a problem. If you put something into the title of your topic, you can't blame the people discussing the topic NOT to bring parts of the title into every argument they make.

All in all, the discussion the OP was looking for was derailed the moment he put "especially to Prowlers" into his title. This thread has long since spiraled out of control into discussion about everything in the game with no clear point to anything.

In short, it is a poor thread and it'd be best to make a new, better, one.
  5. Rhinzual

I think one issue is how slow the Magriders are in PS2.
    Look how fast those things were moving and strafing (the entering/exit animations are awesome too) compared to the sluggish things we have in PS2. Oh, and you get to see what the Magriders does best in that video: hover over water for another avenue of attack. Oh, and you'll notice the godly gun that everyone and their mother whined about in the first few months is not the forward fixed turret here, but it's the gunner's turret. The Magrider's anti-infantry gun should be the driver's weapon, but they screwed up so much that I'm surprised they got the name right.

Oh, and yes TR, that is indeed a group of Magriders hacked and being used by your faction, so there's no need to be all jelly if vehicle hacking is implemented.
  6. MasterTater

True - like most of the threads which are not kept neutral and constructive - enforcing unjustified buffs for one faction only - even if it was just the case by carelessness and speaking from the own perspective only.

But still my arguments about the prowler hold true, I play my alt TR atm as long as they dont fix the VS Side in all aspects of nerf/bugs (and i dont speak about the magrider here).
  7. Munq

There are number of ways they could change Magrider to make it more fun to play in tank vs tank combat, but no conceivable amount of buffs to Magrider without making it completely overpowered to the point it's moronic can balance Magrider versus lock-on AV weapons.

While looking at old PS1 videos may make the game look extremely fun, and don't get me wrong it was fun, but I don't know if they really serve a purpose when discussing PS2. PS2 is trying to appeal to the masses which is what the game concept requires: a lot of players. Planetside 1 required higher level of dedication than what Planetside 2 requires. Because Planetside 2 tries to appeal to the masses, they need to make the game fast paced and less strategic and tactical. To get fast pace you reduce the TTK. Now TTK in Planetside 1 was long, LONG. I mean really long compared to Planetside 2. This has essentially turned Planetside 2 from something, where time is a variable you need to consider, to a deathmatch. Deathmatch is easy to get into and easy to get out of. You just log in, fight for as long as you feel like and you log out. In short, PS2 tries to appeal to the "COD kiddies", the players with short attention span, the players who really don't want to invest their time into the game. The possibility of investing and being attached to the game is there but it is being diminished by the "casualization" of modern games. This is however not problem with PS2 alone. You can see it in every game.
  8. Rhinzual

Preaching to the choir man, I know. I never understood the whole 'appeal to the CoD/BF3 fans' approach because hey, the CoD/BF3 fans will play for a few months, get bored, and then end up leaving forever.

I do wish the dumbfires were a bit faster. Not quite as fast as this at around 1:10 but still faster than the Far Cry 2 RPGs we're sporting. I'm not joking about that Far Cry 2 RPG thing either. You fired that thing and could watch it visibly travel and begin to actually arc before hitting a jeep only a couple hundred feet away. I don't want that kind of pointless speed, maybe closer to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl where it was FAR faster and more accurate. Which would, incidently, please the CoD/BF3 kiddies because their default AV weapon as a heavy would actually kill faster and oh god I just threw up a little in my mouth typing that sentence out.
  9. Grotpar

Doesn't the Vulcan tear ESFs apart?

If it does, I'd hardly call rocket pods a hard counter. Maybe just a counter, but not a HARD counter.

Oh yeah, the ranger and walker are still useless, which is stupid. But last I tried the vulcan(pre-rebalance) is was great against air.
  10. Rhinzual

SOE probably nerfed the Vulcan so you'd be more inclined to buy the Ranger/Walker because of how the Vulcan wasn't properly balanced and had to be 'toned down'...
  11. gunfox

ESF vs. Infantry says hi!
  12. Izriul

My #1 cause of death as a tank driver is pods.

Does that mean they should be nerfed?

No. Not at all. If it wasn't for air I could hold onto my tank for literally hours. That's imbalanced.

However, are prowlers the most effected by air? Hell no. VG's have terrible acceleration and rather large, magriders have AWFUL situational awareness in that they have to constantly turn the whole tank around to see what's behind them, and Prowlers have the best AA gun of all tanks. Being deployed is no excuse at all because a good tank driver who's deployed would be checking behind them and it's not like they take a year to undeploy like many seem to make out. I have the vulcan for my prowler and I killed a galaxy yesterday faster than any other weapon I've used on one.

I hate pods, they kill me the most, but should they be nerfed because of it? Not a chance. Good tank drivers would be unstoppable.

Although, I'd be fine with a nerf for them just because I detest flyboys so much but that's only spite, not because it needs to be.
  13. Silver Pepper

Galaxy full of engineers with AT mines / heavy assaults with dumbfires, flown around the back of the tanks and dropped on their heads.

Why don't people flank or use terrain as cover in this game? It boggles the mind.
  14. Strikejk

flank against aircraft? cover from terrain against aircraft?
    I guess you posted in the wrong thread
  15. Strikejk

Well but vanguards can turn there shields on.
    Magriders can hit their boost button.
    Furthermore both can 1shot down the enemy esf so i don't see why the prowler has the best AA gun. Maybe you don't know that prowlers have to actually double hit the target = half the chance.
    Nice that you killed a galaxy. I killed a bunch of galaxy and ALOT of liberators, i love killing libs with my tank.
    But we are talking about ESF.

It's funny that libs are far easier to kill than ESF. It's funny aswell that ESF do much more damage to you than lib. Oh wait, no it's not funny at all! That's ******** :D

Maybe you want to play a game where ESF can kill everything with 1shot and are the "perfect" vehicle. Yes they are.
    But not me. I want tanks against ground, ESF against air, libs against ground. Everything should be able to kill something where they are not "specialized" in okay. But the ESF is NOT A ANTI-GROUND-VEHICLE.
  16. Sharmanti

Yeah the magrider was really bad before. Looking at the statistics that higby brought, you only outclassed every other tank 2 times over.

Not to mention that magriders have the same amount of hp, but they had "more" armor. Since they would always face you, their front armor was insanely potent
  17. shakkar

well, im a prowler tanker and i think Izriul is right.
    get over it or move on...
    ******* esf whiners.. another game is ****** off because players whining about everything.

you never tried to fight in an esf for more then 20sec do you?
  18. Izriul

Sigh, it's called balance. Do you have selective reading or purposely miss the part where I stated without it tanks would roam undefeated? I'd keep the same tank for hours if it were not for air.

And yes, they do have the best AA gun, OBVIOUSLY I was talking about the vulcan not the main gun. Also, I often have to hit ESF twice with my main gun as a magrider, difference is, I need to reload between shots. So what it VG's have a shield? The thing about ESF's is, they can just fly off for 5 seconds and turn around and come back. So what if Magriders have a boost? Their turret can't aim high enough against a proper ESF pilot (and dying to bad ones, has nothing to do with the ESF) and it only lasts 3 seconds, and guess what, a fully boosted mag still doesn't go as fast as the slowest ESF not using their AB, not even half the speed. Let's not forget to mention the mag is the slowest of the tank, and the VG has the slowest acceleration. Prowler being the fastest, and smallest profile. As I already said, but again, selective reading seems to come into play here, the mag has the worst of all with situational awareness. You can't keep turning your rear to the enemy just to look behind you. Air can easily sneak up, blow you up and get out of dodge before you can do anything.

You said it yourself, you killed A LOT of libs/galaxies. In a magrider, it would take forever to gun them down, and they would have flown off by then. I've never killed a galaxy as fast as I have when I used the vulcan. It destroys low flying air, and if you're getting podded from high up.

Pods are too OP vs infantry I think, but they are needed to keep tanks inline. Last thing I want is air to get A2G lock ons. They are also FAR from this "hard counter".

Also, if air is giving you THAT much trouble, you know despite the prowler having the Vulcan, which I would choose every time (Wait, I did, I bought it on my prowler whch is the only secondary I've bought for it) you have access to the common pool AA weapons, in which AA stands for....anti air.

Prior to GU2 you had the best AI tank and the best AA tank, but suffered against other tanks (But who cares when it's farming infantry that gets you the certs...whole reason I pulled my mag) and now, you have the best AI tank, the best AA tank and the best AV tank, and yet you whine about the one threat to you despite it a) not being a hard counter b) not a threat if you don't go all lone wolf cert farming c) equip your tank to deal with it.

And because only good pilots pose a threat, there's few left due to the amount of AA buffs that's happened (Which, I am more than for, because as I said numerous times, I hate air) you shouldn't really be whining about it, it just sounds like you want impunity to everything.
  19. Naturaliensammler

It was only the tank vs tank statistic.
    Which tells us nothing.

Higby even admitted that. He acted because TR is the favourite faction of a lot of players and their whining is SOE's money.
  20. bodmans

in my experience antitank best counter is a HA sneaking behind him, like i do