Skyguard needs a **** whistle

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cind3rs, Feb 20, 2013.

1. {joer

Skyguard is mobile and won't die to small arms fire like a max, in a base the max is better, but on the road, its the sg.
  2. Aege

I agree that the skyguard is a piece of work, but I will say that when I'm not in the cert grinding mode and actually want to help out my forces I run it. The best use of a skyguard is as a deterent, and I have made kills with it many times (more assists than kills but hey). I've even went as far as holding off 4 reavers and 2 libs with it one night, but i had a good position where I had several structures to hide behind and an ammo dump. Even killed 2 of the reavers.

As a note, I run the combat chassis for the fast turret speed. I get a luck reaver/mossie that kills me every once in awhile, but they rarely get the jump on me. I usually find a spot where an aircraft can only come in low from a 180 degree arch and back into it (up against a hill or structure). When they start shooting at you, drive toward them. It's much harder for them to hit you when they're strafing if you're closing the distance.
  3. TheEvilBlight

Leaving yourself room to drive forward or backwards quickly when an aircraft has the bead on you is always a swell idea.
  4. Shinrah

Yeah, have to agree. I´m not using the skyguard much, but DMG is okay. Problem is getting those hits. The DMG is probably equal to the dual burster MAX from what I can see, mby even a tad better. I´m mainly flying ESF´s and I can say from expierience that skyguards are nasty if they are gunned by a good player, that aside giving them better control would be nice. It´s horrible how much your gun shakes around, and how slow the projectiles fly. If you then take into account that an AA MAX can turn instantly, while the skyguard has to turn the turret, which is not instant, it´s obvious why most people prefer the MAX. So either buff the SG, or reduce the certs by 50-60% and refund the rest to those who bought it already.
  5. Zenanii

I'm having no trouble using my skyguard effectively. Havn't uppgraded mag size on the burster tho, guess I might notice abigter difference if I did.
    Yes, the burster is better for point defense, but it lacks mobility which means you are more limited in what positions you can fire from. How also need a pocket engineer for ammo and repairs, a skyguard gunned by a engi with some ammo uppgrades is more or less self sustaining.
    People like to think of the skyguard as a gimped version of the AA max without factoring in the benefits. If the skyguard was ever buffed to the level of the burstermax, there would be no reason to use the max (which, again, requires a pocket engineer and a designated sunder driver to measure up to the skyguard in any situation that is not point defense.
  6. Clonecenter-resident

I almost buy your point, but it breaks down in a couple of areas.
    1) HA and rockets are free, so your comparison involving HAs and tanks doesn't fit this scenario.
    2) maybe the game is about big zergs running around ec. and the skyguard is not a "lone wolf" vehicle. But if that's the case then shouldn't the ESF also not be a "lone wolf" vehicle?

My point is why is it that one of the cheapest vehicles in the game (barring the flash) can so utterly dominate every other vehicle in the game? That's not balanced from any perspective. Costs should be commensurate with power. If they want the ESF's to be the absolute powerhouses they are then they should cost at LEAST as much as the sunderer that they can take out with no fear of retaliation. (Wait, I just remembered those new g-40 walker things. How are those working out? From what I saw of them they have horrible CoF making them useless at range)

1 ESF that can attack air and ground vehicles and infantry VS. one ground vehicle dedicated to attacking air units and the air unit wins every time?

I wonder what your position would be if there was a tank that just murdered everything that it saw and took planned coordinated efforts by multiple esf's all attacking at the same time to destroy. Would you still be backing your "lone wolf" vs. "team" vehicle mentality.

In short anyone that believes that it should take two or three equally costly things to match their one thing doesn't understand the first thing about balance and should probably just be ignored on the subject.
  7. Baleur

Huh? I'm getting plenty of kills with my skyguard, sometimes even more than in my ESF!
    You just need to learn how to lead the targets. It takes time to learn, but once you do it will improve dramatically, trust me.
    Once you get constant hits on ESF's moving overhead at full speed, you'll rip them apart in no time.

Heck, i feel more vulnerable in my Magrider than in my Skyguard.
  8. Jex =TE=

An ESF won't win in a 1 v 1 fight period. They get close enough to shoot you, you'll decimate them but they have to be attacking you are very close and we all know kills are few and far between making them. Thinking about it I don't think they will ever be fixed. If we can start racking up some kills with them, they will be OP. Once you can start killing regularly then everyone will be. As a deterrent they work perfectly - think of a Shilka AAA platform trying to hit an F16 - chances are they won't unless the pilot does something dumb so in fact, SG's operate the most realistic in this game.
  9. Selerox

As a Galaxy pilot, I seriously, seriously hate, fear and despise Skyguards.

But then, as a Galaxy pilot, I pretty much have to fear everything these days...
  10. Deavonere

ESF can win in 1v1 even when you know where he is coming from. Period. I know what I'm talking about (look below)

Most Played Class: Engineer
    Most Played Vehicle: Lightning
    Most Played Weapon: Skyguard

I know at least 1 ESF pilot that can do it repeatedly. His K/D ratio is over 40. I'm not gonna tell how, but you can.

As for SG being good. Nope. I can understand slow projectile speed, but I will never understand huge CoF. This weapon should have less damage, slow projectile speed, decent CoF, high RoF and enough ammo to kill 1.5 ESF in one magazine - if he is stupid enough to stay in one place with SG he should go down. That would guarantee you, that as a pilot you would be relatively safe while moving, but at the same time you could not hoverspam while in the vicinity of SG.
  11. Jex =TE=

well then we'll have to disagee :) every ESF that I have seen coming at me was dead before he even finished his salvo of rockets. Never been killed by one head to head.
  12. Deavonere

It was only one pilot that pulled that off and I was shocked that he could do that. Then he did it again. But believe me, you can do it. It require certain esf configuration but it can be done.
  13. Jex =TE=

Maybe he was cheating but if it's just one pilot, that's hardly the norm so it should be discounted?
  14. Deavonere

I'm quite sure he was not cheating. He is very good and I mean VERY good. I have seen him only in his ESF. Never seen him in any other vehicle or on the ground. Second time I knew that he will try some dirty tricks and he did. And he succeeded again. He seems to know every weakness of every type of opponent and he was the only pilot I've seen that used terrain to his advantage (in such peculiar way).

It is not norm, but I'm quite sure it is possible, but then again most of the pilots fly horrible and doesn't even know how to do banked turn.
  15. Isila

Yeah... if only the same was true of the aircraft it was supposed to be fighting...

Hmm. I can spend these resources on a land-bound tank that is only good against aircraft (and decent against infantry because everything is good against infantry). Or I can spend them on an aircraft with afterburners and flight that is good against everything.

DECISIONS DECISIONS.
  16. Facts

pretty much this. the skyguard in PS2 is rubbish. especially for a thousand frigging certs.
    • Up x 1