Post GU03 Performance noticably worse in major bases.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by LordMondando, Feb 21, 2013.

1. LordMondando

Been doing quite a fair bit of testing.

On Miller, specs in sig.

Its not just 'big fights' (though this makes it worse) it is being in a tech plant, biolab or amp station and looking towards (even if obscured entirely by a building or the walls) the center, if in the center, it happens randomly.

talking before never went below 28, not jumping about from 17-25 in said instances, so its noticeable.

Tried pretty much all combinations of settings from medium to high 80-100 render. 1000-1500 render distance.

No noticeable difference.

Anyone else getting this problem.
    • Up x 10
  2. LordMondando

Performance generally seems to have lost about 5fps under load.
  3. Babylon Rocker

same here, 5-10 frames in larger fights :(
  4. LordMondando

It's strange as I was not experiencing this in Indar, which being on Miller presumably had the same changes effected to it as is now made global.

Its disappointing, getting down to 17fps no matter what I do in a biolab fight now.
  5. Otulien

I've been playing on Helios, and i've lost maybe 2fps at the most. No problems here.
  6. geistreiches

a bit of a performance hit but it renders a lot more enemies in the distance, I think it is cool like that...
  7. LordMondando

Ok ticket supported- being helpful mode: activated.

#130221-000949
    Do the same guys, remember to include dxdiag and msinfo off the bat.
  8. LordMondando

On miller so if was WAD load from increased render distance I would have noticed it on indar.

and going 'no im fine' not exactly a helpful contribution in a bug report thread, is it?

Protip: just because you don't have the problem, given the near infinite possible hardware set ups, does not indicate the lack of a problem.
  9. geistreiches

my superduperProtip for you: try to accept different opinions and your life will be much easier
  10. FuzzyLogik

I've lost a LOT of frames - probably cut in half since this morning (usually in the Indar warp station spawn room i'd get at least upwards of 60+fps - now it's a fairly constant 30-32fps regardless of where i go or the new draw distance. checking to see if the game is still using both my vid cards...

//edit

yup - crossfire is working fine. but wow - this is a massive hit :( everything on low now and no difference :(
  11. BusterMcKnuckles

This is what happens when you decide not to address the #1 issue that is keeping players away from your game and decide to patch the metagame. SOE, you need to focus on performance and bug fixes before you add more crap.
  12. Lessonteacher

if they increase the render distance noticeably your fps will probably drop noticeably... The render distance was pathetic so id take an fps hit to increase that any day of the week
  13. LordMondando

My attempt to document it.

-unfortunately you can barely see it in the small or large displays of the video, can just about make out the fps in the 'medium' size on youtube itself, when I look at the central column high 30'ies, away from it 48+. This is in an empty biolab at least a hex away from any serious fighting this evening on esamir.

Also hopefully, this shows its not a case of 'now you is rendering more peoplez'.

My frame rate is globally lower, its noticable in large battles, as its now falling into the territory of the teens.

again, to be clear, this is not - well your rendering more people fps will go down by 2-3.

Its on a medium system 10fps seem to have been shaved off in instances where im not looking at people I would not have seen due to rendering.
  14. LordMondando

Look I don't want to get into an argument about this - why its pointless. This is not a bug regarding more people rendering and the fps drop becuase of that. Its not a question of opinions, or indeed perspectives - you've misunderstood.

People commenting about how its to be expected because more people are rendering, hardly engages with the issue at hand, its just not helpful.
  15. FuzzyLogik

I put the render distance back to the default - no change.
  16. LordMondando

He's refering to the fact they have made changes to the logic of how the server dictates players render relative to one another not how much of the actual world (with or without players) the game renders which is control by your ingame 'render distance' setting.

By putting a video up of the problem im dicussing appearing in a biolab with no one else in it. I was hoping to move away from this discussion surrounding a misconception as quickly as possible. By eliminating people rendering and being visible on screen as a variable.

I will also note this, it appears to occur when looking towards the center of any base. So looking out across the horizon fps is fine. Looking into the center of a base, drop that it pre gu03 would not have experienced to anywhere near the same degree.

Generally speaking though, in most situations under load, i've gone from 27 fps minimum (and im talking collosal miller battle involving 500+ people) to about 15 fps minimum. I.e, something is not right here. Thats a loss of performance of between 1/2th and a 1/3rd.

Given its completely independent of my graphical settings the only conclusion is something is chewing through cpu cycles like mad on certain systems, mine included.
  17. TintaBux

Gained 10 fps overall, higher minimum frame rate (On ultra settings)
  18. LordMondando

Again, well done. Not a competition. Its a bug report.
  19. FuzzyLogik

I see, that would make more sense (as changing my settings did nothing to improve performance) - wonder if this may also be an ATI vs NVIDIA thing? Curious as to how it's affecting some people but not all. going to restart my machine just to see if that solves some issues.
  20. Babylon Rocker

well, scratch what i posted before, i just had a fight at indar bay point where my fps dropped down to 10 ******* frames, ps2 ran at the end of beta (for me) stable with 40-50 frames in large fights and now its ******* slideshowside 2.

classic soe