Shaking reduction incoming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MrK, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MurderBunneh

2. {joer

If a giant explosion or the like happens near me in rl odds are my aim will be off. I don't mind the shaking.
  3. Tharrak

When they are done with all the "annoyances", wonder what will be left of the game.

---
  4. furballhero

Whaaat? aww man I like the shaking. You can use heavy caliber weapons to shake up and supress the enemy (Which is what arty is all about). It's an effective tacting that you can use to your advantage. It's sad that just because you hate when it happens to you you want it removed. Why not simply use it to your advantage and make the enemy suffer with the same tactic?

I think Arty should be even more effective, if sustained fire or large explosions go off near your character i'd be totally cool if your aim started wavering or shaking as if you're guy is supressed and freaking out. Perhaps have certs that would go into something called "Steady hand" or "cool head" to reduce the effect.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ghosty11

I think the problem lies in what's considered "near". I had shells whizzing over my head last night at a tank 60m to 100m behind me cause my screen to shake wildly, as in my ADS sighting was bouncing off target by 20m or more. If those shells were directed toward me and missing by 20m to 25m I'm ok with the shake, but the way it is now it's just unrealistic and annoying.
  6. Rhinzual

The biggest issue with screen shake is when ESFs/Libs/Lightnings/MBTs just shell the area you're at, often one of the newly-roofed spawn room roofs and making it essentially impossible to mount a meaningful defense. Not to mention that someone in another thread stated that a grenade going off about 30m away from them made it look and feel like the San Andrea Fault had just exploded because of how overdone the screen shake was.

Even City of Heroes/Villains had a lot of screen shake in the Super Strength set during one open beta for an Issue (free expansion pack, also, Public Test Realm ftw) where the shake was so pronounced that people begged for it to be toned down because they were getting motion sickness, and I was one of them. It was just insane. Guess what? The devs listened and when everyone (or damn near everyone) agreed on an acceptable level of screen shake, the devs implemented that amount. Still wasn't as bad as the original Sonic Blast/Resonance effects, people had to go to the hospital due to the sounds and graphic effects of those things.

So yeah, screen shake can go too far, and I never played BF3, but it sounds like the Suppression mechanic can go die in a fire and everyone would cheer and hold hands, bringing us all one step closer wot world peace because of how terrible the Suppression mechanic is.
  7. Hosp

Question on normalizing flinch is, does that mean tying it to weapon damage? Cus it's already equal across the board. Or does that just mean toning it down equally along with screen shake by some %?
  8. Tharrak

Strange, I could have sworn the shake was already nerfed multiple times, so good it's a vague echo of a memory of something long forgotten. *Shrugs*

---
  9. MrK

Because it promotes lazy spam gameplay and doing so, prevent opposing players from actually playing.
    I don't mind so much gameplay tricks that make opposition unable to aim/move/see provided it requires you to be close, and prevent you from spamming your tool. The flashbang/concussion nade are rather well done in that regard.
    With this shaking (and generally, BF3-esque "suppression"), a tank 100m away can easily spam a wall of a building, and prevent anyone inside from playing the game, non stop. Cool tactic, just super boring, doesn't ask much to be done, not difficult, etc...

On top of it, in PS2, due to scale and large numbers involved, 90% of the time, shaking is induced by an event which do not target you in the first place. You just appear to be in the shake radius of an explosive fired by someone who doesn't care about you, and never shot with anything tactical in mind. He tried to hit a friend of yours 15m way, and missed. This is totally random, but nevertheless still prevent you from playing the game.
    Randomness should not dictate the fight.
  10. JudgeDeath

Sure it breaks the illusion of invincible hero ...

But it sure is rather logical that a bullet in the chest can screw up your aim ... or an explosion in near vicinity.
    • Up x 1
  11. 13lackCats

Great. Let's make the game easier.

SOE is in danger of losing my subscription.

Why the hell they listen to adolescents that can't hack the most basic challenge is beyond me.
    • Up x 1
  12. MrK

It's not a challenge, its randomness.

Nice trick on labeling anyone not agreeing with you "adolescent". Shows uber-maturity compared to said "adolescent" (I'm way past that age, fyi). Should I generalize like you do and point out people trying these tricks are doing so because they never have any ground for their argument? "When out of options, try to ridicule your opposition"
  13. furballhero

If you were behind a wall that a MBT was shelling wouldnt you **** your pants too?

And thats the POINT of artillery, its not a direct fire weapon - it fires somewhere over there and shakes people up. I disagree with you and think it should be more prenounced. Im not talking ARMA style simulation suppression but none the less suppression is a very effective tool in warfare and this is a war game afterall. If you dont like war games maybe you should consider a different genre.

Ever heard of something called volume of fire? or suppressive fire? its when one team opens up with everything they have to attempt to pin the enemy and keep them from moving or returning fire. I would like to see this implemented as well, say every bullet that whizes within 5 metres of you reduces your aim by increasing your weapon swing by like .05%, with a recovery rate of maybe 1% every second.
    • Up x 1
  14. Loegi

Sweet. No huge advantage to the guy who sees the other first now.
  15. Slyguy65

How is this good news for TR...from what i heard that is the only thing we had, over the other factions.
  16. Tharrak

A controlled and sterile environment, that is suitable for laboratory experiments, not warfare "on a big scale" as far as I'm concerned. To make everyone the center of the universe, is to place the universe in a rather awkward position. :p

---
  17. furballhero

Screen shaking maybe is overkill BUT weapon accuracy is a different thing. If your guys is being shelled or shot at your aim should suffer accordingly. Add certs to mitigate the effect but still have suppression reduce your aim according to the type and amount of ordinance whizing past you or exploding near you.

I dont understand why people keep pushing for an arcade style duke nukem shooter. This is a wargame on a massive scale. emphasis on WAR GAME

In order to replicate war there are fundamental principles that need to be simulated: Moral is one of them, hence suppression is a sub section to moral therefore in my opinion extremely important for a game that looks to simulate war on a massive scale.

Principles of war:

Use of troops
    Use of terrain
    Communication
    Objective
    Offensive
    Concentration of force
    Surprise
    Felixibility
    Cooperation
    Sustainability
    Supply (http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/isolating-a-territory-for-the-metagame.95050/)
    Maneuvre
    Security
    Application of force
    Maintenance of moral
  18. Aegie

I think these things add to the gameplay but perhaps toning down shake due to explosions would be a positive thing considering the spam arguments above.

However, I think flinch due to getting hit by projectiles should stay- they just need to make the amount of flinch based on damage or recoil because otherwise high ROF > low ROF regardless of playstyle. Not only does the mechanic not make any sense the way it currently functions but it adds to the already existing hidden advantages of high ROF (latency). When a person with low ROF high damage and a person with high ROF low damage start hitting each other simultaneously the person with low ROF high damage experiences RECOIL + FLINCH whereas the person with high ROF low damage experienes recoil + flinch.

This is particularly sad considering that a playstyle that focuses on few, accurate, hard-hitting shots arguably takes more skill and has a lower skill cieling than a playstyle that focuses on using a bullet hose. Yet, given the current flinch mechanic and issues with latency, the bullet hose "technique" is superior. Someone with a low ROF high damage weapon lands first hit at medium to long range? So what, open your bullet hose and the flinch will often prevent them from winning the fight.
  19. JudgeDeath

This just means the NC guys with their megabomb-alpha weapons have even easier time picking me apart ^^
  20. axiom537

Thank God!...I remember when they introduced screen shake in PS1 with those damn BFR's...It was one of the worst things ever implemented in a game then and it still is.