Why is there a huge mech stashed on Indar?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PandoraAce, Feb 20, 2013.

1. PandoraAce

I'm sure this has been already been seen and found many times over since beta, but this peaked my interest and I would like to hear if there's some kind of history, story or easteregg kinda thing related to this? Basically I happened by a building type I've not seen before on Indar, and to my surprise it had a door with a REAL GLASS WINDOW ON IT so what am I to do but run right over and gaze at the wonder of glass nowhere else to be seen in the game!

This is what was on the other side.

[IMG]

Gotta say I didn't see that one coming.
  2. Gavyne

Apparently it's from planetside 1, something they're teasing but not a part of the game yet. I don't know much about it but read a post awhile back on it.
  3. HadesR

Think you will find and the PS1 vet's will correct me .. but you are looking at the PS1 killer that was the Battle Frame Robot
    • Up x 6
  4. zizeff

That is a bfr and it was crazy op lol people would os the things if they were stationery for to long then they were turned in to bipedal coffins when they were nerfed a guy could solo one with 2 desies and a few jammers.
    • Up x 1
  5. VanuSovereignty

SOE said they would not be bringing BFRs back.
  6. Aege

As HadesR stated, many people that started PS1 believe that it killed the game. BFRs were the true meaning of "overpowered" when they were first released, but later on I never had a problem with them. They were just another vehicle type later on in PS1.

I still miss seeing them in battle. They look more menacing than they actually are. A cloaker with jammers could stop one if that gives you any idea how far they nerfed them.
    • Up x 1
  7. zizeff

And no they wont be coming back they were voted down fast
  8. OddChelsea

That is freaking cool, I'm hopping on to go check that out.
  9. RasFW

^ Little bit overstated on the cloaker bit. A cloaker with jammers could cripple a BFR, but not completely stop it. He could force it to retreat or taste the wrath of every enemy within render distance (which was good in that game, it really was). What you're looking at is the TR "Colossus".
  10. tugernut

its been there since early beta - its a bfr

bfr in themselves didnt kill the game , it was the caves and having to get imprinted just to use bfr really in my opinion
    i hated the caves , but you had to get imprinted to use the bfrs , and like any shiny new toy a lil boy gets hes gonna play with it.
    so was the bfr
    the first few months they were out they were everywhere , a lot of players had left by then, they soon after died down and it was back to normal , but with much less population.
  11. BlackAlpha

By some called the Big ******* Robot.

Higby said they will never add them to Planetside 2, and with good reason, it's believed that the BFR killed Planetside 1.
  12. OddChelsea

PS2 WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?! Every character I have has Howling Pass Checkpoint owned by the enemy or with enemy platoons there... I can't go see the mech. T_T
  13. ChrisTheGreat

BFRs were what stopped me playing Planetside 1.

Where is it? I still want to see it :)
  14. OddChelsea

If you look at the pic it says Howling Pass Checkpoint. I hopped on but couldn't get there and that makes me a sad fascist panda.
  15. Cloaking

Bail on a BFR > Jammer nade > Spam Deci on their weak points = Easiest kill in the game :)
  16. italktowalls

its an easter egg. higby was being a troll he said so himself awhile back in beta.

if u look at the map on howling pass u will see a cluster of buildings above where the actual base is and that is where it is.
  17. iller

Gaze upon your future and DESPAIR!!
    • Up x 2
  18. Gavyne

This...might work if they are stationary defense systems that take multiple players to control. Might be cool to see since they are big and badass looking. I can see why they could be op'ed in planetside 1.

See this is the part that kind of makes me sad. People probably said no to it because of their past experiences with it, but shouldn't the devs have learned from their mistakes and could do it better this time? This does look like a cool "vehicle" to control, and could work if balanced correctly. You know, it wouldn't be that much different from a MBT except for some obvious differences. I could totally see them as a specialized anti air robot, that has machine guns against infantry, can be killed like a MBT, moves slow. Just keep HE away from them and you might be ok.

I personally think it's cool looking and something like that would be pretty badass to see in the game. Because you sure as heck aren't going to find this in BF or CoD type of games. A lot of the up & down votes we see on the roadmap are from PS1 vets basing their past experiences on some of these things. But we all know this isn't PS1, not everything from PS1 would work here, but then not everything have to be an exact copy/paste from PS1 either.
    • Up x 1
  19. Aghar30

Its in howling pass, but its not in the main base. It's further out in a group of buildings that are seperate from the base.
  20. PandoraAce

Which is where you're wrong. I'd love to say it's a very blatant copy of the walker in Battlefield 2142, but I actually checked out the facts and it seems BF2142 walkers were a blatant copy of this one. Medium damage anti armor weaponry and heavy anti-infantry miniguns / plasma guns, right down to the weak spot on the armor.

Anyway, point being, you can find EXACTLY this kind of thing on a BF game. Just pick the one that was futuristic. (Also the best BF game to date).