Sniper's lack of love, accuracy and usefulness

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Willreaper, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Willreaper

First off let's start with sniper rifles and their accuracy..... THEY SUCK. Carbines, LMG's and Scout rifles have better accuracy than a Sniper Rifle and shot just as FAR.. BS Really come on get real.

Second of all, since we don't have buddy systems and scopes that give ranges and the WONDERFUL rendering of any target outside of 100m is again BS.

Yeah it's a game, and yeah I'm about to get my tail flamed left and right... But there's NO reason and NO balance for Carbine's LMG's, and Scout rifles to be MORE accurate and reach just as FAR as a sniper rifle. Not even close to being real, even in a fake way.

At least give us some little love.. where's a longer breath or even better YET... Why not tell us what the size of the player model is, and the range of the scopes is set too, so those of use that know HOW to use an actual mil dot reticle. At least this way we can gauge range to target and bullet drop and adjust accordingly.

I mean, no going all technical and exact, but make us a little more useful and deadly. ( i know I'm going to get flamed)

But as an infiltrator, we have mines that can get shot, suck in CQC, and only can hack terminals for miniscule amounts of xp which are always destroyed anyway. the Spot feature sucks now as a sniper and the rewards for spotting are a joke.

If we're supposed to be sneaking in and out, hacking terminals, spotting enemy movement/targets Let us do our jobs.. And give Sniper rifles some love that they've been needing. A well played Sniper/infiltrator can literally change the tide of a battle as well as any other well played class..

All I've been seeing is this is turning into Tanarus with Mech suits, who ever has the bigger vehicle zerg wins. Where are the epic infantry battles, where is the everyone has a place
  2. Ghoest

Play an LA and snipe with the carbine then.

Or just learn how to play.
    • Up x 3
  3. ArcKnight

some people prefer playing infiltrator more any other class because it suits their play style

I agree infiltrators regularly turn the tide of battles but there are many problems ( its strange that this class has more trouble and low XP gain than any other class )and needs more cert options
    • Up x 1
  4. Willreaper

Hey Ghoest, if you're going to flame, come at me with something better than a response from 1994, learn to flame and not troll. Go back to your LA subforum.

Arc, you're right I prefer the class, game play style and the difficulties of an Inifi, but the rewards for risk are the lowest out there, take the longest to level and cost the most to tweak, if I wanted to level fast or cert hog I'd be doing what every other single person is doing and spawn sunder, and play eng or doc.

Now add the fact that you have everyone exploiting this stealth shader bug and playing on low settings rendering us totally visible is just further proof that we need attention.

I play other classes, and vehicles (with cert points spent and station cash) but infi is the class I love
  5. Ghoest

Dude neither I nor anyone else should take the time to explain to you in detail that sniping is NOT broken.

Its effective as is and many players use it well. On the other hand it has limits by design.
  6. Mattressi

I don't at all see what your problem is. I get easy one-hit-kills with the bolt action from close range out to long range (right out at infantry render distance). I go for headshots and if I miss it's my fault, not the rifle's.

The only thing I can think is you're complaining that other weapons can hit you from 100+ m away? If that's the case, you're really just asking to be untouchable at range. People should be able to suppress an Infiltrator and flank them - not just sit their getting shot because their own bullets magically disappear past 100 m.

I play Inf and LA a lot and I can tell you that sniping with an LA just isn't viable. Unless, of course, you're talking about the now-typical CoD-style sniping - using a 10x scope (or more) to shoot people at 50 m away (because that's apparently now "long range" in FPS...). If you're sniping people at 100+ m, they will have a difficult time shooting back at you. Especially if you head shot them...
  7. Ztiller

Try oneshotting an enemy 200m away with a LMG. No? there is your answer.

The idea that they would have worse accuracy is ridiculous. Stop using the semi Automatics for long-range sniping instead. The bolt-actions have perfect accuracy. Snipers are also the only weapons capable of oneshotting an enemy, which is why i use mine, even at close range.
  8. Willreaper

using anything 10x or above scope doesn't render at all if a player is over 100yrds. XP rewards for risk as FAR FAR lower than any other class.. If our job is to "infiltrate" the base and hack terminals... Make them freaking indestructible, and more than 34 freaking xp. All that's done is engi's shoot the hell out of them, get the xp for destroying them, wait till base flips and gets even more of xp for repairing them at a range of 8-10xp per tick and average number of ticks say 10, there's risk free reward of 134 minimum for good old engi...

And I refuse to stoop to the level of many others, exploiting the rendering issue of cloak, and running on low settings to make every infil visible.

I shouldn't be punished/nor made vulnerable for someone's lack of computer, nor at the same time should those with better computers have a better standing point.

And not using semi-auto's for a sniper rifle, kay thinks Ztiller I did state SNIPER rifle go home your drunk.

And yes Mattressi, people should BE able to suppress and infi and flank them. But a weapon marked as medium range SHOULD not be as EFFECTIVE as a bolt action sniper rifle in the very long range, suppressive fire and flanking is totally different than getting a head shot from a medium ranged weapon at very long ranges, either that or aimbotting is still very rampant and dev's couldn't care less about it. I realize that there are lucky shots, but not every single time.

And secondly, all I was saying, is that we should have some more base info on sniper rifles, and scopes, so we can utilize the reticle's actual function. I'm not going into the whole fancy discussion about windage, drift, MOA, temperature etc etc, Just asking if it's possible to know what range drop off is or what base line the rifle is scoped out for say a 10x scope.

Is it 100 yards at 10x so then need to cover 1 mil higher to compensate, or is it 150, 175, 200?

Using the Longshot, both the 10x and 12x scopes

i7-2700@4500mhz
    g.skill 8gb ddr3 2133
    ocz vertex ssd drive
    nvida gtx560 ti
    gigabyte z68xp-ud3p mobo
    win7 ultimate 64bit
  9. Jex =TE=

You can use your personal waypoint as a range finder, accuracy is fine and if your fist shot don't kill, hide for 37 seconds.

As for the infi on the whole, it hasn't much going for it right now.
  10. Ghoest

Oh so you are actually whining about render distance?
    Next time put that in your title so we can just roll our eyes and ignore you.

But really you are just whining about everything possible and not making much sense as a whole.
  11. JackD

But you have to admit that the their are at least a few things that need to be changed. First of all SOE should get rid of the useless Bolt-Action attachments. Second of all they should ad sway on non infiltrator classes on larger distance.

There is non logical or gameplay reason why a LA should be able to aim trough a 6x scope without sway while a trained Sniper can´t do it.
  12. ThElement078

Learn how to snipe. If don't like it, maybe it is not meant for you. Snipers are actually very easy to use in this game. And no one else is complaining. Sniper Rifles actually seem to be the most balanced thing in the game actually.
  13. Willreaper

I'm stating a few things that I can see changed and or information on. If you Ghoest want to call in complaining, then go back to whining on how AV mines kill you too easily, and that you can't have all the armor you want in a vehicle. I'm not "whining" as you call it Ghoest, and if you can't honestly give a reasonable response with a jab here or there, then keep your nose out of topic you don't like.

You're right JackD.. no other class sways when zooming out at long ranges, and the breath threshold is of a 98 year old on oxygen, while smoking a carton of cigarettes. But instead of a longer breath, or steady aim cert, we get a forward grip and a flash light... YAY!

And very creative flame. I've never heard that one EVER before in any game thread post. And if you mean balanced with other Sniper Rifles, yes they are... That's not my point.. Try reading comprehension, and some more basic English, then come back at me.

Thanks Jex, I never gave that a thought. I'll give it a try, if I can manage sitting up at the puter for longer than 5 minutes without puking my guts out.
  14. Jests

Just some unconnected thoughts directed at the OP:

• Accuracy of the sniper rifle isn't off, there is a problem with hit detection sometimes, however. The degree of bad hit detection appears to vary between computers.
    • While the breath mechanic is too restrictive, it needs to exist. I do agree that it shouldn't be as strict though
    • I really don't understand your other complaints at all... The only thing outside of breath that really needs addressed is (imo) any weapon with a x6 scope (maybe even x4) or higher should have sway, not just infiltrator primaries. Everything else you talk about seems like an incoherent mess that can basically be summed up with "I need more practice."
    • The render distance is being fixed. They're testing the render distance changes now and they're superb.
    • I take that back, your comment you made later about attachments that I just saw is also very, very true.
    • Sniping isn't even kind of broken... just has a higher skill ceiling.
  15. Willreaper

Thank you for the information, and intellectual response Jests, Yeah, I know the original is a jumbled mess, but fighting a flu and being so drugged up, came out quiet bad.. And as far as range finding I never even gave a thought to the personal waypoint that Jex suggested.

I know the breath requirement needs to be in there, but it is quiet restrictive and the fact that NO other class has sway or needs breath control at any of the current magnifications is ridiculous at best. As far as the accuracy, I'm not saying that it's off at all. Stated that a LA or HA with a medium ranged weapon and a 6x scope should be NO where near as accurate at long range as a sniper rifle. I was more along saying that if you're going to let us cert into a mil-spec reticle, we should at least have some indication on range to target, or what range scopes are "adjusted" to in game so we can actually use a mil-spec reticle.

This change in the way sighting of a target, and needing to be closer to the center reflects this point very well. I can be at guessing 300 yards, and dead center of tank, and spot doesn't work, and now I'm just spam clicking while moving reticle all over the target, and all degrees of mil-dot variations to get a solid call out.

If said target fills my scope and the dead center of the scope is in the center of the target I should get a valid call out, and there's times that I've dropped scope to move position and accidentally have hit "q" only to have spotted an enemy infi, la, HA or max that turns out was like 500 yards out and not even rendered on my screen, causing me to be rendered as a blip on the map, only to get popped by said target

Oh and yeah Hit Detection is sketchy at best lately.
  16. Prodigal

Yeah, their playstyle being led by fear of digitaldeath and the belief of being so special that you deserve picking the reddest cherries from safe range, without risking to be shot back. Why dont you go play singleplayer games instead? Or just L2P, like Gheost said.
  17. Willreaper

If you think being a sniper is safe, or easy mode... Guess again.. Just keeping spawning vehicle and MAX's and running straight into fire, and use no logic, skill, positioning, tactics etc etc. You should go back to Bubble Blast or Farmville if that's your thoughts..
  18. Prodigal

Read again what I wrote.
  19. Willreaper

Afraid of being in the fray of battle

Killing like a God, having my way with people's heads without fear of getting killed

Typical elitest flamer response, referring that you are far superior, and one should give up the game and go elsewhere, or L2P

So there you go, re-read your post, broke down your reply with translation and actual meaning, which still comes back to me still saying, that you incur, that a SNIPER is EASY MODE, give up and go elsewhere, or learn to play thus concurring and emphasizing what Ghoest said.

All again, misreading what I and others have posted, outside of my initial post where I was laying in bed sick with the flu and drugged up making no coherent sense.

Like others that have posted in here, with flaming me as well as helpful advice, or confirming what I feel are short sightings..

Gasp at trying to have an actual discussion about the class I like to play, and short comings, difficulties, work arounds, or actually getting an actual answer to ranges. cause we all know short, medium, long and very long are very explicit and set in stone, that all drafting classes, exit signs, and anything else that involves measuring a distance use these very same terms.

I forgot, the internet isn't meant for actual intellectual conversations, and only has room for trolls, elitest tardbabies, and cyber muscles

So hop back on the flametrain, your next stop is very long away
  20. Ghoest

????
    Where did complain about AV mines - ever?

You are literally talking more and more nonsense.
    Your posts are just random complaints - some of them even counteracting each other including the thread title.
    And pretty much you are unable to defend your nonsense beyond calling other people by forum cliches.
    And now you are just making stuff up about people.

I would like to think you are just a troll for your sake - but it appears you may have a problem.
    • Up x 1